Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your photography

0C886237-5B7A-4097-8B29-660B84D09BEE.jpeg

rhohanruen

New in Town
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I was looking for a forum with vintage enthusiasts and I seem to have found it here. My hobby is vintage-inspired/classic fashion photography and I share a lot of this on my Instagram. I've decided to share a few of my favourite shots I got this last Christmas next to a 1932 Buick. Let me know what you all think! Thanks

View attachment 1000010329.jpg

Attachments

• 20231225171730_IMG_3303.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 17

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I recently got myself another vintage film camera in near-mint condition, an Olympus Pen S, made from 1960-64. Like my Pen F SLR, it's a half-frame camera that uses standard 35mm film, but shoots two 18x24mm vertical frames in place of each normal 24x36mm horizontal frame, yielding twice as many pictures on a roll.

15-PenS.jpg

It's a very small, completely manual camera - you must estimate the shutter speed, f-stop, and focus distance in metric. Estimating exposure and distance is something I learned in my youth as the child of pro photographers, so I enjoy the challenge of a manual camera, and I usually do pretty well with them.

For a camera that was explicitly designed to be really inexpensive (in 1960 it cost 7,000 yen, equivalent to just $20 then... when most serious cameras were typically $50 and up!), it has an outstanding Tessar-type lens whose angle of view is equivalent to a 45mm lens on a full-frame camera. Virtually all metal, it's a solid little knockaround camera from the glory days of mechanical engineering.

These images are from my test roll: good old Kodak Tri-X developed in D-76, 2400 dpi scans. (The negatives are sharper than some of these scans indicate: When scanning film, I often have problems getting the film exactly on the focus plane, which is a miniscule distance above the scanner glass - intended for mounted slides - and quite tricky to hit correctly for high-res scans.)

PenS-test1.jpg PenS-test2.jpg PenS-test3.jpg PenS-test7.jpg

Anyway, not bad for an over-60-year-old camera! And not bad for only half of a 35mm negative.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner