Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I agree with you re. the sole channeling and the half-spade shape. Based on the elaborate sole and everything else, I'd say they're 1930s. Should go for a pretty penny once you've cleaned 'em up!

Many thanks for the information, my friend! As always, you always have fascinating insights on the subject. As for dating shoes, the 40's are pretty distinctive in their styling & sole shape, as are the 1950's. However, discerning between the 30's & 40's is more tricky it seems (at least to me).

So, you are saying that the elaborate sole design (which has become a battleground recently for Top modern makers over the $1k range today) is a hallmark of the 30's. How about that somewhat narrower heel? A 30's indicator as well? If they had those distinctive 30's rubber heels, it would be easier.

Also, that long and sleek shape... with the very narrow waist. Does that also help you guess at the decade? Most of my 40's shoes are shorter and have a wider waist and forefoot.

It's great having you here to learn from!

Thanks & Take Care

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
A side note, at first 1930's made me very happy, then I realized that the 8 1/2C size may well be that "ultra-sleek/ NARROW" 30's style as well. 1940's 8 1/2C's like me so far, but I am 0 for 4 in 1930's 8 1/2C's (including those gorgeous sand tan suede 'tips)!.

flyfishark

Practically Family
Here's my first pair of Sealskin shoes. I know Marc has a pair of NOS, but this is the first pair I've actually found. Stone & Tarlow, which become Field & Flint, which became FootJoy. These are super-well made, but slightly too small for my 9D.

_DSC0142.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0149.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0145.jpg
[/IMG]

flyfishark

Practically Family
Here's one, I'm told from the 30s based on the store for which it was marked, made in Hollywood. Doesn't it remind you of the shoe in "Strangers on a Train?"

_DSC0050.jpg
[/IMG]

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
FIRST, VERY glad to see you back, Senor Fly! This thread was getting boring without you, my friend.

A coupla questions: 1) The brown pair, are they marked as "seal"? That grain looks different from what i've seen so far of seal... but there are different cuts of skin, so they vary.

2) Can we see some more pics of those Specs, please? Sole pics & footbeds as well would be great, they look ultra-cool.

PS: Tell Tiger I said hello!

flyfishark

Practically Family
Thanks, Issh...things have been beyond hectic lately. The Stones are in fact marked "Genuine Seal" on both soles. It's difficult to make out in the photograph, but readily seen when looking at the shoe in person. Here are some more pics of the Matrix Specs...The footbed states "Matrix" and around the logo states "Made in Hollywood."
_DSC0048.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0052.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0053-1.jpg
[/IMG]

flyfishark

Practically Family
Here's another pair from the Stone Shoe Co., Cleveland, Ohio. I'm not certain if this was a shoemaker, or a retailer. The other shoe seems to read something like "Foot Ped..." Anyway, they're a perfect fit for my 9D.
_DSC0016.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0018.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0019.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0020.jpg
[/IMG]

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Here's another pair from the Stone Shoe Co., Cleveland, Ohio. I'm not certain if this was a shoemaker, or a retailer. The other shoe seems to read something like "Foot Ped..." Anyway, they're a perfect fit for my 9D.
_DSC0016.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0018.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0019.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0020.jpg
[/IMG]

Could be the brand FootsoPed. They have got the old Cats Paw heels and original soles. I am convinced from wear patterns that lots of spectators were, naturally enough, going out /dancing shoes. That snazzy ventilated heel counter was a cool idea for "cutting the rug".

flyfishark

Practically Family
Could be the brand FootsoPed. They have got the old Cats Paw heels and original soles. I am convinced from wear patterns that lots of spectators were, naturally enough, going out /dancing shoes. That snazzy ventilated heel counter was a cool idea for "cutting the rug".

Thanks again, Cookie. You are the St. Thomas Aquinas of shoes...kind of a "Summa Shoealogica."

flyfishark

Practically Family
Here is an incredible example of a Hanover custom shop cap toe from the early 50s. The shoe looks barely worn, and it's closing in on Social Security age!!
_DSC0166.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0165.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0167.jpg
[/IMG]
_DSC0161.jpg
[/IMG]

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful shoes FF, I really like the little heel seam finishing piece , a nice detail...those heels are great...I'd be tempted to get them removed and get moulds made to make copies of them? I'd definately save them for indoor use.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Beautiful shoes FF, I really like the little heel seam finishing piece , a nice detail...those heels are great...I'd be tempted to get them removed and get moulds made to make copies of them? I'd definately save them for indoor use.

Nah. If you've got a large enough shoe rotation, they'll look great forever.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
SOMEONE likes vintage shoes...

The name "John Lobb" means a LOT to some people. Read that seller description. I bet that Croc has a few cracks in it as well... which is basically unrepairable.
The selling price astounds me. I just don't get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana