Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
What a joyful paragraph. Thanks for the wide smile. :D
Well Randall, you know a goodness rests in my home and heart regarding you and yours as well! There are some so many really wonderful people on the Lounge, the list is long for sure. Thank you so dearly for your words.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

I really like the punched hole design on the back of these, a bit different than my other vintage footjoys. These shoes are like a cross between a wing tip and a saddle shoe. The toe box area is large as the other footjoy shoes I have also have a fairly large toe box area, and as with the other pairs that say REX, there is a slight hump or bulb on the very top of the toe of the shoe on the outside, which gives the shoe a bit of a different shape then other shoes.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Another vintage footjoy with some spade soles, these seem to have a very deep grained leather, perhaps ox hide, not sure yet but will be having my cobbler do some repair on the heel plate, replacing them with some fresh catspaws, he will be able to tell me if the grained leather is ox hide or what it is, the smooth leather perhaps is just calf leather. The inside of these shoes are very nice, another find for me from my Wife. I now have three pairs of vintage footjoys and they say REX on the inside of the shoe on the footbed right where the heel pad ends heading down inside the shoe.

cookie

I'll Lock Up

Another vintage footjoy with some spade soles, these seem to have a very deep grained leather, perhaps ox hide, not sure yet but will be having my cobbler do some repair on the heel plate, replacing them with some fresh catspaws, he will be able to tell me if the grained leather is ox hide or what it is, the smooth leather perhaps is just calf leather. The inside of these shoes are very nice, another find for me from my Wife. I now have three pairs of vintage footjoys and they say REX on the inside of the shoe on the footbed right where the heel pad ends heading down inside the shoe.

I would like to see a good collage of snaps of these in all the usual positons and put in the Vintage Spade Shoe thread for posterity.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Hi gents!

Just picked up these Florsheims at the Goodwill for $7.99. Burgundy colour and the leather upper and soles are in remarkably good condition (if you've ever looked at shoes at a thrift store, you'll know what I mean!)
florsheim1.jpg

florsheim2.jpg

I wear 10.5 shoes typically, and these are a full size bigger at 11.5, but I tried them on in the store and they actually fit remarkably well considering the discrepancy. I figured I'd take the plunge and try to make up the difference with a set of insoles. What do you guys think, did I do well? Also, how does one polish these? Do they make burgundy polish, or must I use clear polish?

Cheers!

G&T

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wear 10.5 shoes typically, and these are a full size bigger at 11.5, but I tried them on in the store and they actually fit remarkably well considering the discrepancy. Also, how does one polish these? Do they make burgundy polish, or must I use clear polish?
I've found that one can often ignore the particular sizing of shoes/clothes/hats etc... and just go with what fits regardless of the stated size. As for polish: You can use either cordovan or neutral polish to maintain the current color....or you can get jiggy and use other colors various effects.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I've found that one can often ignore the particular sizing of shoes/clothes/hats etc... and just go with what fits regardless of the stated size. As for polish: You can use either cordovan or neutral polish to maintain the current color....or you can get jiggy and use other colors various effects.

I bought a couple of $6 insoles from Wal-Mart and they greatly improve the fit as well as the cushioning, so I'm away to the races! Now to find some Cordovan shoe polish. Any suggestions one where to purchase it?

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

That's corrected grain leather. Skip the creams and colors, they won't really penetrate the leather. Just go straight to the clear/ neutral wax (ie: kiwi) and they'll give you a nice high-shine. This should be available in any convenience store.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
That's corrected grain leather. Skip the creams and colors, they won't really penetrate the leather. Just go straight to the clear/ neutral wax (ie: kiwi) and they'll give you a nice high-shine. This should be available in any convenience store.

Hey, thanks for the tip! I'm sure I can find clear kiwi wax somewhere nearby. Cheers!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Working on breaking in these Florsheim captoes. They sure are slick when new!
FYI: Apply a strip of cloth tape down the center of the outsoles, from toe to arch (and a small piece to the heels, if made from leather). This will mitigate any slipperiness and by the time the tape has worn off the sole will be sufficiently scuffed as to prevent slipping.

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Hi gents!

Just picked up these Florsheims at the Goodwill for $7.99. Burgundy colour and the leather upper and soles are in remarkably good condition (if you've ever looked at shoes at a thrift store, you'll know what I mean!)
florsheim1.jpg

florsheim2.jpg

I wear 10.5 shoes typically, and these are a full size bigger at 11.5, but I tried them on in the store and they actually fit remarkably well considering the discrepancy. I figured I'd take the plunge and try to make up the difference with a set of insoles. What do you guys think, did I do well? Also, how does one polish these? Do they make burgundy polish, or must I use clear polish?

Cheers!

G&T

11.5 USA = 10.5UK for what it's worth hence the good fit. They are Florsheims from the 90s. Burgundy or clear/neutral is good.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
A.C. Lyles, thanks for the advice. I'll do that the next time I need to. This round I survived breaking them in the old-school way. :)

Thunder, those 5-nail V-cleats are sharp! Anyone knows of a pair in 14-D, speak out.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I got me a pair of EGs recently ex USA (from a Style Forum member) called Brooksvilles (a Ralph Lauren Purple Label make up) in a wingtip galosh style and the antiquing/burnishing is excellent - like Shooey's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy