Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you! They are, but I normally wear a B or C, so they're just a bit snug.

I wanted to add about use of a shoe stretcher...on suede shoes....only if the shoe is NOT a glued on sole...in other words your shoes have a real welt...sewn sole. You can stretch the suede fairly easy on them...BUT some dress shoes, if the shoes have a glued on sole..I would avoid using a stretcher....could pull the suede off the sole...and even with your shoes...you cannot crank the stretcher super tight super fast...do it slow...let the leather suede get used to being a bit stretched so you do not risk tearing it. You will notice even if you used a stretcher and made them very wide, the next day or so some of that stretching will shrink back. So keep shoe trees in the shoes TIGHT.

Mormonopoly

Familiar Face
I have one pair of longer flat laces, but they may be too long! These are from the late 1930's and were made for dress shoes that are really boots....flat and black. They are too long...drats...I just unfolded them and they are as long as how wide I can hold them with my arms straight out....makes them more than four foot long....sorry. I do go see the Cobbler here Friday, if I can find anything that is 32 or 34 I will grab them for you and ask for a mailing address. I have a pair of vintage white laces that would work size wise...will that help you out or no?

I am still looking for a pair or rare shoes to gift to someone, something like your nifty find in their size would have been a killer gift! I am still looking....lol!

Thank you so much for your effort! I've found some online that look like they might work here: http://www.footfitter.com/p/112-005/thin-flat-shoe-laces.html?gclid=CL-Ur9-27sMCFROAaQod6YQASQ. I might order them soon.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Here is my first pair of Florshiems. I love this brand. Such quality. And, I looove full wing-tips. I got a nice way older pair coming this week too.

20150222_213546_resized_zpsssli73la.jpg

20150222_213902_resized_zpsrsrvgzht.jpg

20150222_213625_resized_zpsxc9hgdyp.jpg

20150222_213652_resized_zps3xbdocw6.jpg

20150222_213714_resized_zpskco1dkxh.jpg

20150222_213750_resized_zpsl7odskut.jpg

20150222_213839_resized_zps6xtuz4xa.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
My cousin got em for my Birthday. I have a nice pair coming this week that have the double horshoe nail rows pounded in the heel. They also have the 5 nail soles. These are bearable for me. I have seen the quality of the older shoes and I do agree they are way better.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
My cousin got em for my Birthday. I have a nice pair coming this week that have the double horshoe nail rows pounded in the heel. They also have the 5 nail soles. These are bearable for me. I have seen the quality of the older shoes and I do agree they are way better.

Yes. The pair you are to receive will be USA made. Likely 1970's, but 1970's US made shoes were STILL pretty darned good. Post pics upon arrival, pls.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Sure after I condition the leather soles and the leather it's self.

Probably not even necessary. Most of the later Florsheim Longwing Gunboats were made with corrected grain leather... a bit of plastic mixed with the leather to hide imperfections. Usually this is bad, but in this case, the grain stamped into the leather & the fact it is pretty decent CG simply make the leather mostly water resistant. They won't really suck in much conditioner... and mostly don't need it.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Ok. I'll just do the insides. That I do know needs it. Here is what they are. http://m.ebay.com/itm/121461409571?txnId=1432419947002. What decade do you think they are?

When you have these shoes, take a really good picture of the leather up close and post it here,. the area where you lace up your shoe at the top and down near the toe where they lace. It will show if a close up, the surface of the leather. Those have a double row of nails.....could be older than 1970's but not if the surface of the leather is "coated".....

I always respect everyone's opinion, but even the coated leather that gets called "corrected grain" does benefit from being treated with Cadillac conditioner. You do see the plastic coating on some shoes will crack and become brittle....the conditioner keeps that from happening.

Oh by the way, Caddy is approved for Shell or patent leather as much as for any other shoe surface. It has NO waxes in it.....the wax in a conditioner is what would dry certain leather types out.....the same as the wax in some polishes can. dry out the leather and make it crack.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I always respect everyone's opinion, but even the coated leather that gets called "corrected grain" does benefit from being treated with Cadillac conditioner. You do see the plastic coating on some shoes will crack and become brittle....the conditioner keeps that from happening.

Oh by the way, Caddy is approved for Shell or patent leather as much as for any other shoe surface. It has NO waxes in it.....the wax in a conditioner is what would dry certain leather types out.....the same as the wax in some polishes can. dry out the leather and make it crack.

Sorry, but if the plastic starts to crack, there is no conditioner that can help that. You would need to heat the plastic so it begins to melt, then cool it sans cracks. Not possible once the leather is on shoes. Conditioner only works on leather.

Also, conditioners do not contain wax. Some POLISHES do. Conditioners contain different ingredients, some of which are more efficient at moistening leather than others. If you COAT leather with wax polish, it can create a barrier that will not allow air and natural moisture to penetrate the leather... and can speed cracking. I have written extensively on wax vs liquid polish on vintage leathers stating such.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Oh by the way, Caddy is approved for Shell or patent leather as much as for any other shoe surface. .

Cadillac has "approved" ITSELF for use on patent leather. This doesn't mean anything except the fact they want to market the product for use on patent. It is really a ridiculous idea. patent "leather" isn't even real leather. It was used to get a high shine on shoes without elbow grease. Very cheap material and conditioner does NOTHING, except lay on top of it. Using a Wax polish on patent toe boxes is the way to get the mirror shine.

Cadillac isn't very good on shell. Not bad, but not so good either. Other better products exist. Cadillac is too watery, a good shell conditioner is more in a cream-like form.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Cadillac has "approved" ITSELF for use on patent leather. This doesn't mean anything except the fact they want to market the product for use on patent. It is really a ridiculous idea. patent "leather" isn't even real leather. It was used to get a high shine on shoes without elbow grease. Very cheap material and conditioner does NOTHING, except lay on top of it. Using a Wax polish on patent toe boxes is the way to get the mirror shine.

Cadillac isn't very good on shell. Not bad, but not so good either. Other better products exist. Cadillac is too watery, a good shell conditioner is more in a cream-like form.

Almost any plastic or rubber product can crack from becoming dried out. Real patent leather is an application of a coating put on leather. Of course most modern shoes that are called patent leather is an application on what would appear to be some sort of a webbed woven clothe.

I am sure on one of the articles in the books I sent you on that CD has all about patent leather and how it was made back in the day.

I can recall a couple of pairs of shoes we have had with the crepe soles that were so dried out, if worn the crepe would have cracked and just crumbled. The shoes had never been worn, in fact I am sure Daniel sent a pair to you, they were that green color smoked elk. The soles of those were soaked in liquid silicon and caddy....both of those liquids made the crepe material come back to being soft, bouncy and supple. What is crepe? Man made material that may as well be called a foam made from man made materials with air injected into it. Very similar to a man made sponge. Plastic trim on automobiles that dry out from sun exposure also crack and peel unless treated. To some degree plastic does provide a barrier on the shoes that have it processed on top, but even that plastic is going to have some "porous" quality and absorb some conditioner. Even vinyl siding on a home can crack and become brittle, but if a protectant is applied on it after cleaning it off it will retain it's supple form. So think long and hard about it.

We have a few pairs of shoes here that are called patent leather. One pair from the 1940's that are true patent leather. The rest are called patent leather but there is no leather used at all on the uppers, and are actually a man made like vinyl material.

As I am sure to learn more all the time, I do conclude shoes (as with any topic of life) will alway present more to learn all the time. And of course you know we all do respect what tons and tons of information you do share with us, and thank you deeply for it, too!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Any shoe that does have a plastic coating if the plastic is cracked up or peeling....there is not much any thing can be done...but you can hope it will all crack and peel off....lol get to the leather under it if there is leather there.....lol!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner