Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
daizawaguy appears to be the FL version of SF's aportnoy.

j/k

He would be 500 pairs short..............

davestlouis

Practically Family
I just bought a pair of AE McCallisters in my size (12D) for $5.99 at Value Village. They have original soles, in good shape, but need heels. A quick shine and heel lifts and I'm good-to-go. Also got a pair of Florsheims that I think may be vintage...they look similar to some Bostonian Raleighs that Dixon Cannon has a pic of on the 1st page of the thread, only in black. Pointy-ish toe, smooth leather, no cap, leather soles, those need heels too, likely from the same donor.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
C&J Handgrade, buffed up since new with a Kiwi "Military Tan" polish...the only place I`ve found it is in Africa...

Jan2010002-8.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Found another old pair of Wright's. I'm not usually too enthused about loafers anymore, but man, the leather quality of these is amazing.

DSC_0009-4.jpg

I managed to GooGone off the sticker residue after this photo.
DSC_0010-3.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Blue suede shoes entered the menswear scene about 20 years before the hit song conquered our airwaves. In the 1930s, black, blue, charcoal, blue grey, dove grey, forest green, emerald green, burgundy, taupe, and tan suede shoes became popular for men. (Brown suede shoes had already been around since the '20s.) It's interesting to note that fedoras of the time were being sold in the very same colors. Did fashionable men match their shoes to their hats? :)

Below is a rare 1930s pair of Foot-Joy blue suede shoes. A patent number for the model (stamped on the inside sole) indicates that this shoe dates back to 1934. The shoe's Foot-Joy logo is a version that was used in the '20s, '30s and '40s but modified in the '50s. Its last is "sensible" and conservative: neither pointy nor boxy.

Bluesuede001.jpg

Bluesuede002.jpg

Bluesuede003.jpg

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
More blue suede. I've posted these before, I think.
Late forties/early fifties. Times Square bootmakers N.Y.
Cush'n'crepe soles.
P7230011.jpg
BbICw2kKGrHgoOKjkEjlLmytBKrYcMLVww_.jpg

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
daizawaguy said:
Oh, and here`s one that was made up for me specially many years ago...not sure what you think of these...!?

Jan2010018-1.jpg

They are magnificent. I have the same shape with cuban heels in their standard yearling, but chocolate suede is definately the way to go.

They would look unbelievably cool with a grey flannel suit.

I am interested to know that you can get a custom width. I have been wearing their widest fittings and recent bought a pair of Tambo boots (extra-extra wide fitting). I wonder if they will do custom wide accross their whole range? Time for some invesitgationing.

It is nice to see these boots appreciated outside of Australia. They really are a quality, old-school kind of product.

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
daizawaguy said:
Oh, and here`s one that was made up for me specially many years ago...not sure what you think of these...!?

Jan2010018-1.jpg

Freakin' sweet. Same goes for the C&Js and the other RM Williams.

The Shooman

Practically Family
daizawaguy said:

Jan2010018-1.jpg

Brass screwed?

Yeah, they certainly don't make `em like they used too. They used to make `em with a nice thick bevelled waist, really solid.

Slowly but surely RMW have skimped and l refuse to buy anymore. lt breaks my heart when l see what they are making now. Not good.

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
The Shooman said:
Brass screwed?

Yeah, they certainly don't make `em like they used too. They used to make `em with a nice thick bevelled waist, really solid.

Slowly but surely RMW have skimped and l refuse to buy anymore. lt breaks my heart when l see what they are making now. Not good.

Why do you say that? I have some older boots, say 9-10 years and some I bought last year. I hadn't really noticed a drop off in quality - but I might not have been looking that hard either.

Do you mean the 'comfort' variation with the non-leather soles and the new-fangled innersole?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
The Shooman said:
Brass screwed?

The thin leather sole line is brass screwed - always has been - there is no connection to how they nake them then or now. The others are welted - always have been. I have been buying them for the past 10 years, and they have been consistent quality. Are you referring to something very old, or are you comparing unlike models? Have to disagree on the quality statement...

GWD

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:

Below is a rare 1930s pair of Foot-Joy blue suede shoes. A patent number for the model (stamped on the inside sole) indicates that this shoe dates back to 1934. The shoe's Foot-Joy logo is a version that was used in the '20s, '30s and '40s but modified in the '50s. Its last is "sensible" and conservative: neither pointy nor boxy.

I didn't realize Foot-Joy has been around that long. They still make great quality golf shoes!

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
Brass-screwed...

Is it hard to get brass-screwed soles replaced? They certainly look nice, but thought it might be one disadvantage.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
I envy your smaller feet.

Yeah, if Marc tires of them, I could certainly make those work too!! :D

---------------

Thrifted this pair of Nettleton Crocs yesterday. My graphic designer's eye says that the logo looks '50s but I'd like to hear opinions from those who really know. I think these things are wonderful and they fit perfectly - Nicki thinks they are hideous! lol

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925