Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Also picked up this no-name pair of vintage black bluchers. Simple, and with the rounder more work shoe shape, paired with some cuffed up Levis, they suit my occasional Rockabilly-ish mood.
You should've seen 'em when I got 'em. Looked destroyed - but cleaned and shined up well.

DSCN1240.jpg

DSCN1242.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Not a pair of shoes, but a nifty punch-card certificate that I found in a box of my grandfather's old papers. Don't know the exact date, but the other papers in the box were from around 1900 thru the early 1920s.

I've enlarged the image so you can read the details - the size of the original is 2.25" x 4.5".

151 styles for $3.50 a pair PLUS a certificate for 50 free shines - now that's a deal! I'm wondering if a shoe store giving a certificate for 50 (!) free shines might be an indication of the care people once gave their shoes and how often they might have had them shined.

ShoeShineCert1.jpg

ShoeShineCert2.jpg

cptjeff

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
Thanks for showin' 'em to us, Stoneface! :)

----------------

Thrifted some odd ones lately, but I like 'em.

Vintage JC Penny's in 9-1/2 B. Perfect fit for me! Very nice leather. Not sure what to call it though. Calf? Cordovan? It has a slight pebble but a high-shine toe. Ideas/Info anyone?
DSCN1243.jpg

Scotch grain. It's calf that's tanned by soaking it in, you guessed it, scotch. If it's real scotch grain. Sometimes pebble effects are pressed into leathers to make it look like scotch grain and cover defects. If it's really nice, probably real.

As far as I know, scotch grain is the only way you can get pebbling without pressing the pattern into corrected grain leather.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Check this out.

Someone of the same last name as me who is doing genealogical research emailed this information to me:

The name is said to derive from the latin Crispin meaning curly head.. and in fact Crispin was a noble family in Rome.. and then fell out of favor.. at least two brothers Crispin and Crispianus.. and they settled in Soissons France, making shoes and preaching.. and so their death's were preceded by miracles according to the Catholic Church.. and thus made the tradition of St Crispin's Day.. and they became the patron saints of shoemakers.

So THAT explains it! lol :D

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Check this out.

Someone of the same last name as me who is doing genealogical research emailed this information to me:

The name is said to derive from the latin Crispin meaning curly head.. and in fact Crispin was a noble family in Rome.. and then fell out of favor.. at least two brothers Crispin and Crispianus.. and they settled in Soissons France, making shoes and preaching.. and so their death's were preceded by miracles according to the Catholic Church.. and thus made the tradition of St Crispin's Day.. and they became the patron saints of shoemakers.

So THAT explains it! lol :D

Yeah but you don't make 'em ...you flog 'em!

Here are your kin at work back in da old country...http://saintcrispins.com/

HarpPlayerGene said:

American shoes at their best waisted insteps...only found on the top bespoke UK shoes now.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Balmoral Boots of the future!

Not really vintage. The contrary, rather! Leather uppers of the soon to become my new boots.

davestlouis

Practically Family
harpplayergene, I scored some JC Penney Classics that are the same sort of leather as yours, same color too, but longwings...$4 at Goodwill. Mine have the O'Sullivan heels too. One toe box on mine is crushed, but it isn;t obvious unless you push on it, it looks normal and holds its shape in wearing and normal use.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
davestlouis said:
harpplayergene, I scored some JC Penney Classics that are the same sort of leather as yours...

Amazing, isnt' it, that a store brand product could be of such high quality decades ago? I know they probably had Freeman or someone like that make them, but still. Top-of-the-line big name branded shoes of present manufacture do not come close to how well-crafted some of these 'ordinary' shoes were back then.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I propose that Gene be banned from posting his gets on this thread as they're making me sick. Who's with me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael