Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

SteveAS

Practically Family
I hope I haven't offended any AE lovers out there.

I'm not offended, but my experience is very different from yours. I have two pairs of AE Leeds in black and burgundy shell cordovan, which I bought more than 10 years ago. I wear one pair or the other most work days and they've both been "recrafted" two or three times (I walk a lot). They're holding up great and look very close to brand new when they're freshly polished, with properly dressed soles.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I'm not offended, but my experience is very different from yours. I have two pairs of AE Leeds in black and burgundy shell cordovan, which I bought more than 10 years ago. I wear one pair or the other most work days and they've both been "recrafted" two or three times (I walk a lot). They're holding up great and look very close to brand new when they're freshly polished, with properly dressed soles.

I'm wondering if there is a difference in materials and construction over the last 10 years even. I know that the US has relied a lot more heavily on India and China for materials over the last decade and wonder if there is a difference. I am interested in trying out some vintage AE's, and thank you for your input on quality from as little as 10 years ago. Wear 'em in good health, friend!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Florsheim wingtips in "lovely" sharkskin.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Last edited:

flyfishark

Practically Family
I picked these Hanover shells up for a buck. Has anyone tried to have the topline repaired on shell? I know this can be done with conventional leather, but I don't want to try to chase down a cobbler if this will be in vain.
1zgq3qf.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I'm not "plugged in" so to say, but having smaller feet (when it comes to vintage) does have its advantages. ALSO, I've got some good people "showing me the 'vintage' ropes" (THANKS, Cookie!). Finally, being a bit OCD does help as well.

Anyway, Vintage Hornback Lizard Budapester Bluchers- look at that toe box! Oh My GOSH! Found out that Hornback Lizard is now on the endangered species list (these are from waaaay before it's addition to the list, by the way), so no more of these beauties. These are NOT hornback gator, hornback cayman, or hornback croc- which are much less desirable substitutes. Seems that the cowboy boot fans REALLY miss this baby. Now, boots made with Hornback Lizard are really sought after. After seeing these pics, I know why. I usually take my own pics before posting anything, but these were just too INSANE to wait for.

These have helped to blunt the pain of losing those great Clapps to Flyfishark recently.

KGrHqIOKkQE23BHL1lBNyPdCBQ0_3.jpg

KGrHqRjgE2vLDWjrOBNyP5wsSQ0_3.jpg

KGrHqUOKpQE24C4w5DEBNyPCZE86g0_3.jpg

KGrHqQOKpEE25vTwFQ0BNyPBwZ8fQ0_3.jpg

KGrHqIOKo0E3Ekfm-BNyPBOn8jw0_3.jpg

KGrHqRlQE3HG8SH4BNyPBgOsMw0_3.jpg

flyfishark

Practically Family
I hope they can make them work out for you... although I certainly wouldn't mind working out a trade if things don't work out.

Keep an eye out, though. Last night, just as I was crying over a glass of Wild Turkey 101 (over my vintage Aldens that turned out NOT to be Alden's and over those Clapps, in fact), I found an INSANE rarity that I snatched up. I'm gonna get pics up ASAP. I can GUARANTEE that no one will see another pair like these again any time soon.

Be Well!

Issh...now you're into my field of play. Try some Four Roses BOURBON (not that blended swill they used to sell) for about 25% of the cost of 101 Bird. It's the best bourbon on the market for the money. (I've given up Jefferson for it).

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Issh...now you're into my field of play. Try some Four Roses BOURBON (not that blended swill they used to sell) for about 25% of the cost of 101 Bird. It's the best bourbon on the market for the money. (I've given up Jefferson for it).

JUST checkout their website, and it looks wonderful. I NEED my bourbon at 100 proof minimum, and it looks like four roses has some REALLY nice choices! THANKS, friend!

Now that summer's rolling around, I switch it up to gin (usually good ol' Tangueray) & dark rum (last year I tried something called "Kraken", and it's quite good as a summer sipper).

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I was recently digging a pair of EG Dovers I saw posted on SF. Then I looked at the Leather Soul site & saw these...

adov1.jpg

adov3.jpg

I did like the pebble grain and the style as a whole, but I just need double soles & exposed welts (it's my illness/ addiction). With a stroke of luck, these fell into my lap... THANKS, FLYFISHARK!!! Score one for slightly narrow (and on the small side of) 8 1/2D's.

NOS Florsheim imperial Custom Order Apron Toes. Definitely not the same shoe as the Dover, but I think it's the Dover's tougher and grizzled "grandfather".

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

flyfishark

Practically Family
I was recently digging a pair of EG Dovers I saw posted on SF. Then I looked at the Leather Soul site & saw these...

adov1.jpg

adov3.jpg

I did like the pebble grain and the style as a whole, but I just need double soles & exposed welts (it's my illness/ addiction). With a stroke of luck, these fell into my lap... THANKS, FLYFISHARK!!! Score one for slightly narrow (and on the small side of) 8 1/2D's.

NOS Florsheim imperial Custom Order Apron Toes. Definitely not the same shoe as the Dover, but I think it's the Dover's tougher and grizzled "grandfather".

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

Nice shoes, Isshi...and my Clapps are making the roundtrip back to MA. If you're interested in her email address, let me know. She says she has them sold again, but you know how that goes. More importantly, in the gin category, have you tried Hendricks gin with a cucumber slice? Incredible!!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Cucumber slice, huh? Sounds interesting. I think I'll try some over the weekend. That woman's e-mail would be much appreciated, I'd still like those Clapps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart