Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Nettleton

Nettleton lizard tassle loafers.

IMG_1158.jpg

I'm not sure about the age, but they're old enough that the heels are sized separately from the rest of the shoe. That's a big plus for me, since I have mini-heels that swim in most modern loafers. These shoes fit like a glove.

NYDressShoes

New in Town
New here and my shoes.

Okay, I am new here and I really love suits and everything that goes with them, including dress shoes. Even though I strongly prefer Oxford over loafers, I still love them the same. Anyways, here is a picture of my Stacy Adams Balmoral Cap-toe Brogues which I won off of ebay:
SprintPhoto_b2lkfs.jpg

This is my very pair since well I always dream that I want to be transformed from some boring guy into a well liked gentleman. I am planning to more Oxfords, preferred brown. You guys know any good ones?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tooch said:
Nettleton lizard tassle loafers.

I'm not sure about the age

I'll guess 80's......

Nettleton were among America's finest shoemakers for over a century before petering out in the early 80's. Rumor has it that they invented the loafer...

Tooch

One of the Regulars
I'll guess 80's......

Nettleton were among America's finest shoemakers for over a century before petering out in the early 80's. Rumor has it that they invented the loafer...

I know about the loafers claim, and I'll let somebody else parse the details of that debate ... :)

The shoes are certainly well made. I didn't know that separate heel sizing was still available as recently as the '80s, but I imagine that a high-quality maker like Nettleton could have been a last holdout on that front.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tooch said:
I didn't know that separate heel sizing was still available as recently as the '80s, but I imagine that a high-quality maker like Nettleton could have been a last holdout on that front.

Just another example of the deterioration in choice that has been part of the loss of manufacturing...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:

Sure looks like a nine to me -- but I'm glad you got them for the lower amount. :eusa_clap

If you don't already have a method for removing those indelible marker prices from the soles, here's mine:

- I try lighter fluid first but when that doesn't cut it, I sand the area with 150 grit sandpaper until the price is nearly ground away.

- Then, I use a razor blade to scrape the area a little further, fully removing the marker and smoothing the area out some.

- Then, I use 0000 steel wool to smooth it out more and 'feather' the now lightened patch of leather out some.

- Last, I either use mink oil or just oil on my finger from wiping my forehead or behind my ear to address the leather where it has lightened up from sanding, etc. With light oil, I've been able to blend it back perfectly. When the process is complete you cannot detect any evidence of the marker or the removal method.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Sure looks like a nine to me -- but I'm glad you got them for the lower amount. :eusa_clap

If you don't already have a method for removing those indelible marker prices from the soles, here's mine:

- I try lighter fluid first but when that doesn't cut it, I sand the area with 150 grit sandpaper until the price is nearly ground away.

- Then, I use a razor blade to scrape the area a little further, fully removing the marker and smoothing the area out some.

- Then, I use 0000 steel wool to smooth it out more and 'feather' the now lightened patch of leather out some.

- Last, I either use mink oil or just oil on my finger from wiping my forehead or behind my ear to address the leather where it has lightened up from sanding, etc. With light oil, I've been able to blend it back perfectly. When the process is complete you cannot detect any evidence of the marker or the removal method.

I tried that technique on a few zits on my face and it worked really well too...thanks Ms Rubinstein...

Javelina

New in Town
Got a card in the mail today:

The Alden Shoe Shop on Madison Ave & 44th St (in Manhattan) has $50 off shell cordovan shoes and $30 off the calfskin models.

I don't know if their prices are otherwise great or if you can get a better deal online w/out this discount - but hey, I'm passing it along.

They do phone orders and "ship anywhere": 212-687-3023.

Expires August 15th.

No affiliation.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thrifted these Florsheims the other day. First intent was to resell them -- but I'm sort of falling in love... :)

DSCN2007.jpg

DSCN2020.jpg

DSCN2017.jpg

After this photo was taken, I was able to remove that black schmutz on the bottoms of the insteps:
DSCN2024.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HarpPlayerGene said:
Thrifted these Florsheims the other day. First intent was to resell them -- but I'm sort of falling in love... :)
You have a sickness.....there are 12 steps.............

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Peddle this. :D

DSCN2090.jpg

DSCN2094.jpg

DSCN2098.jpg

DSCN2103.jpg

I can't find anything wrong with them - only the slightest wear on insoles and soles/heels. Size 9D. A little wider than I would prefer but the fit isn't bad. Makes it hard to decide to sell them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot