Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
http:/[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG1162_zpsu47qceot.jpg.html] [/URL]http:/[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG1132_zpsbfg2dvus.jpg.html] [/URL]

These Edwin Clapps arrived today. They have been already kept in super great condition, hardly any wear on them at all, almost NOS. I did condition, clean, polish them a bit, and I do not think I will need to stretch them at all. The inside is like new, no "foot impressions" on the inside at all. I will know tomorrow when they are put on Daniel how they fit. I think they will be a perfect fit.

Seven lace holes is also interesting. What year does that make them isshi?

Mormonopoly

Familiar Face
Nice. You REALLY need a pair of trees with a fuller heel cup. That one is too narrow (as it always is with that particular tree). The narrow heel cup is pulling the leather on the sides leading to the heel. They will be much happier with a better designed tree.

I agree with this, but I'm struggling as to where to find such a tree. The shoes are actually a an AA width, so i thought any tree would be narrow enough, if not too wide. When i got the shoes, it was clear that something was stored on top of them (the same with each pair that I got from this collection) as the shoe was sort of smashed. Do you think its more because of that and will work itself out with a few wears, or does it need more attention?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I agree with this, but I'm struggling as to where to find such a tree. The shoes are actually a an AA width, so i thought any tree would be narrow enough, if not too wide. When i got the shoes, it was clear that something was stored on top of them (the same with each pair that I got from this collection) as the shoe was sort of smashed. Do you think its more because of that and will work itself out with a few wears, or does it need more attention?

Cut some strips of cardboard box, about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. Place those strips between the heel and the shoe tree, it will help "buffer" the contact point where the shoe tree is digging into the heel.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

Soak both the inside and outside with some conditioner....pour it right in and let it sit over night, make the leather as wet as you can from the conditioner, all on the toe area of the inside of the shoes. Stuff a clean rag, a small towel like what would be used in a kitchen would work. Push it down inside the toe area, sort of packing it in to help raise up the shoe pushing the top of the shoe back out. You will have to really "muscle" the rag or towel down into the toe. Let it sit over night. Then pull that rag out and get a spray bottle, mix half distilled water and half rubbing alcohol. Spray as good as you can inside the shoe but direct the spray down to he toe area and then get your rag and stuff it all down inside the shoe really pushing it again as hard as you can, I have even used the handle of a wooden spoon to really pack it inside the toe area of a shoe. Next spray the toe of the the shoe get it as wet as you can. If the toe are now looks like it is raised back up to the position it should be, get a hair blower and put it on a medium heat setting and dry the hell out of the toe are of the shoe. What you are doing is reverse stretching the leather making it pull down on the rags, but it will hopefully make the toe conform more to the original shape of the toe box area of the shoe. I read about this a while back from someone that reshapes all leather tennis shoes, (you can iron shoes also, but that take a lot of trial and error). The reason you condition the shoes like crazy before doing this is to help them not be too super dried out from the water/alcohol mix and blow drying them bone dry on the toe area only.

Another thing you can do but is a harder way to do this, is to build up the toe box area of wood shoe trees with duct tape and muscle the end of the shoe tree down into the toe box area, instead of using a rag. You have to condition and do all the other steps mentioned above.

Mormonopoly

Familiar Face
Soak both the inside and outside with some conditioner....pour it right in and let it sit over night, make the leather as wet as you can from the conditioner, all on the toe area of the inside of the shoes. Stuff a clean rag, a small towel like what would be used in a kitchen would work. Push it down inside the toe area, sort of packing it in to help raise up the shoe pushing the top of the shoe back out. You will have to really "muscle" the rag or towel down into the toe. Let it sit over night. Then pull that rag out and get a spray bottle, mix half distilled water and half rubbing alcohol. Spray as good as you can inside the shoe but direct the spray down to he toe area and then get your rag and stuff it all down inside the shoe really pushing it again as hard as you can, I have even used the handle of a wooden spoon to really pack it inside the toe area of a shoe. Next spray the toe of the the shoe get it as wet as you can. If the toe are now looks like it is raised back up to the position it should be, get a hair blower and put it on a medium heat setting and dry the hell out of the toe are of the shoe. What you are doing is reverse stretching the leather making it pull down on the rags, but it will hopefully make the toe conform more to the original shape of the toe box area of the shoe. I read about this a while back from someone that reshapes all leather tennis shoes, (you can iron shoes also, but that take a lot of trial and error). The reason you condition the shoes like crazy before doing this is to help them not be too super dried out from the water/alcohol mix and blow drying them bone dry on the toe area only.

Another thing you can do but is a harder way to do this, is to build up the toe box area of wood shoe trees with duct tape and muscle the end of the shoe tree down into the toe box area, instead of using a rag. You have to condition and do all the other steps mentioned above.

Wow, I appreciate the advice! Fortunately, the toe isn't smashed at all, just the areas around the laces.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

Here you go, my friend. This heel cup is ideal. A bit more costly, but worth it.

Epic_shoe_tree_woodlore_2up_1280ltr__61507.1410945139.1280.1280.jpg

This tree comes in second because of the fuller heel, once again.

cedar-shoe-trees.jpg

Your trees would be next because while narrow, it does get worse.

Hers is the ultra narrow heel cup to avoid...

woodlore-pair-hero.jpg

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
I have a virtually indentical pair in a tannish brown, with the same seven eyelet feature, and I've been told they're 1940s.

FYI, like stetson, Clapp made that same shoe, starting in the 30's. Subtle differences between models thru the 60's (where that shape became ultra popular again. I would need to hold the shoe in my hands to tell which era for 100% sure. That shoe looks very late 40's. most likely.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Here you go, my friend. This heel cup is ideal. A bit more costly, but worth it.

cedar-shoe-trees.jpg

woodlore-pair-hero.jpg

I have the Woodlores and I love that you can widen them to allow for an "E" fitting USA or "F" or D" UK. I find they go well on vintage shoes and fill up the inside void well. Plus you can get them cheap sometimes at Costco. A mate brought me 5 pairs once. http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/en/p/s...utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter_web_en

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Remarkable!... looks like a little more brutalising from you guys and you'll have nice pair of near NOS Clapps.

Thanks...so far no brutal instruments have been used....I could have tied up these shoes tighter but left the shoes laced loose to help get them on and off in a hurry for the picture to be done. I am thankful that the seller of these had no clue as to what they are, and got some what a bargain on them. Looking at a pair of 1940's Florsheims that are boots, but may just pass on them. Looking to have some customs made by civilwarboots.com.....as you can see from what he has already posted all on our Lounge, he makes some amazing foot wear, great quality and there is no way you will ever beat the price of what he does.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

cedar-shoe-trees.jpg

woodlore-pair-hero.jpg

Well those sure are about the best looking and made shoe trees we have ever seen. You are right the wider heel area is fairly important to the shoe, as we all know at times some nice vintage shoes are already weak in that are from being owned by an idiot that abused the shoes. Nothing worse than obtaining a nice shoe only to find that area of the heel is "blown out"....lol Thanks so much for posting this information on the shoe trees. We have been using cardboard to help disperse the pressure on the inside of the shoes at that contact point.

freakersea

New in Town
wondering if anyone can help with this

obtained these shoes yesterday, pretty sure not vintage in anyway but they are well made! really fine stitching and scrubbed up a shine real quick. no sizing labelled anywhere and they are super narrow

have tried googling the maker with no luck. am just wondering if any of the big shoe buffs here have come across it before and have any info they can pass on
_SAM4605_zps07303395.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
wondering if anyone can help with this

obtained these shoes yesterday, pretty sure not vintage in anyway but they are well made! really fine stitching and scrubbed up a shine real quick. no sizing labelled anywhere and they are super narrow

have tried googling the maker with no luck. am just wondering if any of the big shoe buffs here have come across it before and have any info they can pass on
_SAM4605_zps07303395.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers.

Wow, those seem to be very much a one of a kind shoe! I would think from overall looks and build, they are a formal shoe, and as they only say Grace the Party and then Handmade, it does not say much at all to point in the direction of "whom" and "when" they could have been made. We've not seen anything like it, but it would remind us most like a English made formal shoe. Condition those rascals and get some shoe trees in them.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
http:/[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG1238_zpslhkdgiu6.jpg.html] [/URL]
http:/[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG1265_zpssdhv4a44.jpg.html] [/URL]
http:/[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG1271_zpsfgwt2kln.jpg.html] [/URL]

1940's Wright Arch Preservers, "Whippets", Cigar Brown and Cream Spectators. They have a very slight spade sole influence and as you can see, these gems hold a shine like a mirror. The heels have very slight edge wear, same with the leather soles. The insides are super clean, very easy to spruce up the white welt stitching. I just did the normal steps on these rascals. Sprayed with Hospiseptic inside the shoes, saddle soaped the entire shoe inside and out, then conditioner was used very heavy for two days. Used more than one bottle of Cadillac Boot & Shoe care conditioner on the insides and out. Then it was time to brush the lighter part of the shoe with a suede brush. Three coats of a cream paste polish in medium brown, and some high gloss read wax, then a coat of brown high gloss, then two coats of clear Saphir, to get that rich deep shine. They also were marked a 11 AA, but they fit Daniel like a pair of gloves, so his wide foot will fit right easy in these, no stretching needed as they were already 4 1/4 inches wide on the sole.

These MAY be going to the market (classifieds here on the lounge) not sure yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo