Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Stingy Brims

Some more detail of the Rockel velour. Brim is really slim, but the finish and brim stitching makes up for it. Kind of a rich chocolate color with that chamois shine. It will see some winter head time for sure.
9Jun18 Rockel Velour profile 450x.jpg
9Jun18 Rockel Velour side 450x.jpg
9Jun18 Rockel sweat liner 400x.jpg
9Jun18 Rockel sweat logo 400x.jpg
9Jun18 Rockel Store logo 400x.jpg
9Jun18 Rockel Velour Crown 450x.jpg

Another fuzzy beauty from Germany. Mayser Pigalle Spezial (wow, what a name) in black velour. The name seems more Italian than German, but cool. This one has a nice tall crown and a 2" brim. With a little steam, this one should take a nice diamond crease. I'm OK with a good European center dent like the others, but this one has some possibilities. It is a touch loose for a 58. I wonder if Maysers run a little big? I assume these three velours are from the 70s. The finish and construction is so superior to a contemporary stingy American hats that I've come into contact with, they are a joy to behold. Embracing some stingy love!

11Jun18 Mayser Pigalle side 400x.jpg
11Jun18 Mayser Pigalle front 400x.jpg
11Jun18 Mayser Pigalle mfg tag 400x.jpg
11Jun18 Mayser Pigalle Sweat Logo 400x.jpg

quikrick

One Too Many
4D6Ax62.jpg
f6N4qal.jpg
NvdMLO2.jpg
GkcAOax.jpg
RurFhv1.jpg
PoQ8ODv.jpg

Nice little Dobbs straw stingy with a bound brim. The brim is a miserly 1- 3/4", The crown has a center crease, no pinch. It came to me with the the brim all out of shape but it straightened out nicely. There are no manufacturing tags so I don't know what type of straw this is, but it feels real nice. The leather sweat band is shot, but that's not the end of the world. I like the tallish crown, it measures about 4-1/4" at the front of the hat/crease and a little over 5" at the sides. It is medium old but I have no idea how old. BRIM UP! I actually tried to snap the brim down, it looked awful, it got all out of shape.

Last edited:
Nice little Dobbs straw stingy with a bound brim...BRIM UP! I actually tried to snap the brim down, it looked awful, it got all out of shape.
My one and only stingy brim hat (fur felt) fits my head like it was molded to it as long as the brim is up all the way around. But snap the front down, and it changes to a slightly longer oval with about 1/8" to 1/4" of space between my head and the sweatband front and back. It's not uncomfortable, but it is noticeably looser; another reason to keep the brim up! :cool:

Ha..you can’t fool me. You had that one under the Montecristi 100x this morning!!
A nice sneaky stingy. I must admit, you can wear them all well, indeed.
B

I wore the Montecristi because it was killing me that I hadn’t found a chance to wear it since receiving it. It got about 30 minutes of head time today. The little stingy went with me as I audited a neighboring office; I thought the western would be a bit much for the impression I was going for. Then again, the “auditor” (not my normal title) with the western hat might be the guy that folks give a wide berth to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I wore the Montecristi because it was killing me that I hadn’t found a chance to wear it since receiving it. It got about 30 minutes of head time today. The little stingy went with me as I audited a neighboring office; I thought the western would be a bit much for the impression I was going for. Then again, the “auditor” (not my normal title) with the western hat might be the guy that folks give a wide berth to?

Ha. Thats funny! I was just poking fun your way. However, i concur, “that Auditor” in the cowboy hat would leave quite the impression. Probably with desired effects. Like they said...get a Bolo for full effect! Ha Stingy works too!
B

...I don’t get how so many hat wearers dismiss stingy brims...
My only "issue" with stingy brims is that they usually come with stingy crowns--low and tapered and can't accommodate my apparently enormous head. I've seen quite a few that I liked, but the moment I put them on my head they suddenly looked like the reservoir tip on a condom. :eek:

My only "issue" with stingy brims is that they usually come with stingy crowns--low and tapered and can't accommodate my apparently enormous head. I've seen quite a few that I liked, but the moment I put them on my head they suddenly looked like the reservoir tip on a condom. :eek:

And you’re saying that’s a bad thing?

Not all stingies work for me, but some are quite nice. I also think that really tall crowns with a stingy brim look unbalanced. While I dislike taper I’m more likely to overlook it in a stingy as the all-around diminutive proportions don’t look so bad to my eye with a tapered crown. Still, if I had to chose one fedora type it would NOT be the stingy brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk