Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Stingy Brims

Stingy brims. Most love them or hate them. To some, they are a gateway hat to ease them into wider brims. Others associate them with high school kids who are trying way too hard or to hipsters - whatever those are (are we still using that word?). A lot of folks move on from stingy brims and don't look back. Others think they fit their face shape better and stick with them. Personally, I like them. If I had to choose I'd pick wider brimmed hats hands down, but thankfully I'm free to wear both and do so regularly. I find they have a place in my rotation and as a bonus, you can score vintage examples in great nick at reasonable prices. Now since "stingy" is arbitrary I'll define it as anything under 2 3/8 inches but for most of us it's a "you know it when you see it" proposition.

Show show us your stingy brimmed hats. Head shots are most useful, but anything you want to post will be appreciated.

I'll start off with a well-loved dark brown back-bow Resistol:

1c0c31f9ed5bf080432769a1aa0e7d50.jpg
9b8ef8f3b6fa68dc3aaadffa15a5ef96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wesslyn

Practically Family
I've got plenty of stingies. I like my brims around 2 1/8 to 1/4 inches, but 2 is probably my most common brim width in my collection.
I used to be obsessed with 30s/40s fashion, (I guess I still am) but lately I've been all over late 50s/early 60s. Might have something to do with trying to find a style that better suits my current mop top...
Anyhoo, I'm at work, definitely breaking some rules by browsing the lounge. I'll see if I can't get a few pictures of my stingies when I'm home.

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
I agree with you on two inches, but I wanted to cast as wide of a net as possible. I think stingy brim wearers are big tent kind of folks: all are welcome. :)

I think you're doing the right thing casting the net wide. I would also only really consider something under 2" as being stingy, but relationship to the face shape is surely more important - on a man with a really wide head, even a broad brim might look stingy.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
My only stingy, a Resistol Kitten Finish from the early Sixties with, I think, a 2 1/8" brim:

KF_Resistol_01.jpg RKF_01.jpg
KF_Resistol_05.JPG

'Tis the only hat I have with a feather. It came with one, and the feather is so subtle -- you can hardly see it in Pic 2 -- that I've kept it.

I should wear this one more often. To me it's the sort of hat to wear with long sleeves, dress shirt or not, sleeves rolled up, while sitting at an outdoor cafe . . . and around here for most of the year, sitting outdoors is madness. Still, it's a very comfortable lid.

My only stingy, a Resistol Kitten Finish from the early Sixties with, I think, a 2 1/8" brim:

View attachment 103769 View attachment 103768
View attachment 103770

'Tis the only hat I have with a feather. It came with one, and the feather is so subtle -- you can hardly see it in Pic 2 -- that I've kept it.

I should wear this one more often. To me it's the sort of hat to wear with long sleeves, dress shirt or not, sleeves rolled up, while sitting at an outdoor cafe . . . and around here for most of the year, sitting outdoors is madness. Still, it's a very comfortable lid.

I do like Resistol stingy brims. That hat looks to be in new condition. Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How soon we forget this stingy thread...

Gots to love them Stingies, or as I call 'em, "SLIMBRIMS!"

All I can say in my defense is that I searched the site and used the Google search tools and didn't see this thread. Obviously it was there, but I did look before I leaped (I guess I didn't look hard enough). Maybe one of our excellent bartenders can merge the two?

This is the only "stingy brim" hat I own...for now, anyway:

8UUp98t.jpg

It began it's life as a Winston Fedora, and with help from fellow Lounger Stetsonofagun I learned it originally came with a Center Dent crease and smallish side dents. I bought it from fellow Lounger Matt "Historyteach24" in March of 2016. He had converted the Center Dent to a Telescope crease to give the hat a Pork Pie look, and I'm glad he did because if he hadn't it probably wouldn't have caught my eye when he listed it in the Classified section. Unfortunately, the Telescope crease was too low to accommodate my enormous head, and the hat's open crown is comically tapered (similar to the hat Leonard "Chico" Marx wore in the movies with his brothers) so simply raising the Telescope didn't work. I had seen Pork Pie hats with Diamond creases online and gave that a try, but the hat didn't agree so we settled on a C-Crown with a bit of rake; before photos on the left, after photos on the right:

No6UkTO.jpg

Fortunately this raised the crown just enough for my head to fit, and it became a favorite hat. For whatever reason the felt likes to photograph with the grayish hue seen in the "before and after" shots; the color in the photos of me wearing the hat is far more accurate. The ribbon is wrinkled and it has some shallow moth damage on the brim, but to me that just adds character to the hat.

By the way, if anyone knows anything about these Winston fedoras I'd like to learn more about them. There is no information on the underside of the sweat, but the gold embossment on the sweat reads "E. SHAMIR" with "HAIFA" in smaller letters beneath. Initially I thought E. Shamir might be the original owner, but Stetsonofagun's hats bear the same embossment so I think it's safe to assume E. Shamir is the hatter. With this meager information the Internet was no help, so I have no idea of how old this hat might be.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ