Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
thunderw21 said:
Here's that 1930s Fashion Park suit I posted about earlier in this thread.

me159.jpg

Brilliant! Compares very well to this: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=180017#post180017

Janine004.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
cookie said:
That suit looks MTM and has the total vintage authentic vibe...congrats!

Thanks. It is perhaps the best fitting vintage suit I have, really feels like MTM as you said. Everything, vest, trousers, jacket are perfect width: comfortably snug but not too tight.

Length was another story. lol

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Oddly compelling 3 piece?

Hello all,

I am now the proud owner of this suit.

It's everything that I usually don't like - skinny "to the max!" But what about that vest? Has anyone ever seen anything like it? That strangely compelling scoop action was enough to make me "pull the trigger." Of course I'll post pictures when it comes, but does anyone have any preliminary thoughts? Does this suit, in fact, date from the 90's?

Weird.

(but cool?)

Dan

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Fu Manchu said:
Hello all,

It's everything that I usually don't like - skinny "to the max!" But what about that vest? Has anyone ever seen anything like it? That strangely compelling scoop action was enough to make me "pull the trigger." Of course I'll post pictures when it comes, but does anyone have any preliminary thoughts? Does this suit, in fact, date from the 90's?

Weird.

(but cool?)

Dan

It looks like a hybrid of a three piece suit and a dinner suit. I've seen that type of waistcoat with a suit a couple times, but only a couple.

jcw122

New in Town
Why does everyone never smile in their pictures? You guys look like your not having fun, or like your zombies or something.

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
SUIT AGE

Fu Manchu said:
Hello all,

Weird.

(but cool?)

Dan

Hello Sir,
The suit looks classic late 60's/early 70's, British, to my untrained eye.

Toodleoo
HH

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Nick D said:
It looks like a hybrid of a three piece suit and a dinner suit. I've seen that type of waistcoat with a suit a couple times, but only a couple.

Interesting. How would you suggest that I finish the outfit? Skinny tie or bow tie? Stingy brim fedora or homburg?

davestlouis

Practically Family
Stealing from the families we serve is absolutely verboten, but I have to share a funny story...

I was working at a funeral home when I was in college in the 1980s. Our removal guys rolled into the garage, with a recently-deceased gentleman on the cot. He had dropped dead while working in his garden. He had on brand new black Reebok sneakers. Several of us put our feet up to his, to see if his shoes would fit, because he was going to be cremated, shoes and all. Alas, they were too small. It was disrespectful but seemed amusing to me at the time.

I never cease to be amazed at how many men own one suit, or no suits at all. We sell suits, shirts, ties, and whatnot, because so many people don't own appropriate burial clothing.

davestlouis said:
Stealing from the families we serve is absolutely verboten, but I have to share a funny story...

I was working at a funeral home when I was in college in the 1980s. Our removal guys rolled into the garage, with a recently-deceased gentleman on the cot. He had dropped dead while working in his garden. He had on brand new black Reebok sneakers. Several of us put our feet up to his, to see if his shoes would fit, because he was going to be cremated, shoes and all. Alas, they were too small. It was disrespectful but seemed amusing to me at the time.

I never cease to be amazed at how many men own one suit, or no suits at all. We sell suits, shirts, ties, and whatnot, because so many people don't own appropriate burial clothing.

Gives new meaning to Dead Man's Clothing. :D
I wasn't implying you might pilfer something from the dead. Just joshing. ;) :p

davestlouis

Practically Family
jamespowers, no offense taken.

People do ask if the burial suits are slit up the back for ease of dressing. Ours are not, but they are available either way, if anyone is curious.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:

To a point, yes. But I would suggest that the suit from the magazine is quite unique and remarkable because of the length and fullness of the skirt compared to the upper body. We see it instinctively as very vintage, even though few suits we have ever seen look like it. The suit on the lounger is spectacular, but it is more the common balanced proportion.

Perhaps the magazine guy had his suit nipped at the waist a little higher by a tailor, but I don't think so. it is a fantastic vintage style.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
davestlouis said:
jamespowers, no offense taken.

People do ask if the burial suits are slit up the back for ease of dressing. Ours are not, but they are available either way, if anyone is curious.

Like a dead atheist. All dressed up and nowhere to go.

Many of us dream about walking into an estate sale of a well dressed gentleman who kept all his old stuff. Others of us dream of finding that warehouse of stock from a shop that closed down in the 30s or 40s.

I am now going to begin dreaming of coming across a funeral home in a small town in which the unscrupulous owner kept all the good suits, stuffed the pockets with mothballs, and placed them all in a backroom from floor to ceiling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points