Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Feraud

Bartender
WineGuy said:
Thanks All! I'd like to use this opportunity to post a question. I posted the same photos on styleforum.net and surprisingly got numerous complaints about me not taking my hat off in my store. To the best of my knowledge, hat etiquette does not require a man to remove his hat in a retail environment, I like wearing my hats at work...any comments?
I will guess the general sentiment behind the complaints are if you are a customer in a shop it is o.k. to leave it on. If you are working in your own shop and spending hours indoors, it should be removed.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
I will guess the general sentiment behind the complaints are if you are a customer in a shop it is o.k. to leave it on. If you are working in your own shop and spending hours indoors, it should be removed.

I get the feeling the folks who complained on styleforum are less appreciative of hats and therefore take a more literal approach to the etiquette.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
If you take your hat off in the store... how do you differentiate the customers from the sales staff?

It seams like a simple answer.

When I have my briefcase in hand I tend to have no room in my other for my hat, lest they are suggesting I don't handle the merchandise.

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
WineGuy said:
Thanks All! I'd like to use this opportunity to post a question. I posted the same photos on styleforum.net and surprisingly got numerous complaints about me not taking my hat off in my store. To the best of my knowledge, hat etiquette does not require a man to remove his hat in a retail environment, I like wearing my hats at work...any comments?

My father told me that would should remove your hat when you arrive at your destination. If you are the owner of the store, I would say it would be "proper" for you remove your hat. For a customer at a retail location, it's a little more complicated because there aren't always places to put your hat. I usually put mine in my shopping cart.

From Ask Andy:

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (non-residential). In a public building (where there are no apartments) the elevator is considered a public area.

You do see a lot of men wear their hats indoors nowadays. I see Kevin Eubanks sporting a different hat every time I watch the Jay Leno show. So if you like wearing your hat indoors, go for it. If you want to be old school about it, don't. As for the styleforum complaints..... Maybe they're just jealous.

I think a good example of someone who abides by old school hat etiquette would be Richard Bucket (I've been called Mr. Bucket a few times) from Keeping Up Appearances. It's on PBS all the time and maybe BBC America.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
As far as I am concerned, who cares? What i mean is I doubt any of your customers will be offended, and few will appreciate that you remove your hat. So then, unless you care just because it is a tradition, which to me, seems the opposite of true manners, then leave it on. More importantly, if you are well dressed, and wear a lid, I suspect that many people will like it as it gives the shop an air of class or style. So, in a sense, you are serving them better with it on than off. So, I say, keep it on.

Traditionally speaking though, I think it is a little odd to go into a shop and see a guy behind the counter wearing a hat. I would likely sry "Oh, are you just closing?" but that is just me. I hate to see swing dancers in hats or caps. Looks silly to me as i am a traditionalist when it comes to dancing. But if you like it, don't worry about style or manners, as in this day and age, all bets are off. Go with what you think looks good and will be pleasing to others, not with what is considered correct style.

Lokar

A-List Customer
My three newest suits:

Wool two piece, very lightweight, half-lined, high waisted trousers. Very comfortable. No pattern.
4119331507_d4be2bf6e1.jpg

Wool sports coat, the lightest coat I own, pattern zoom in below.
4120107712_d840bf24eb.jpg

4119331837_e520cb6d63.jpg

Wool two piece, quite heavy wool, but the trousers are unlined, high waisted trousers. Pattern zoom in below. I was wearing the trousers at the time, so they're not on the hanger.
4119332037_8d025e0e20.jpg

4119332181_f9e0cc13ef.jpg

Finding suits in Sweden without going to a tailor (I'm too poor) or the high street (I dislike the styles) is quite difficult. Most of what I find are terrible 70s fashion disasters in awful colours, 100% 70s polyester and uncomfortable. Very happy with these three, though.

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars
My suit - Can I get some insight?

Hi, I bought this suit today. I actually listed it in the CLASSIFIED Section.
I wanted to see if someone could give me their thoughts on ERA. I GOOGLED GOODIMATE and there were articles on GOODIMATE in many things from the 1940's

Since the fly was all button like this (My army pants from the 30's and 40's are exact same style), I figured it was from the 30's or 40's. It really is a gorgeous suit. I just wish it was bigger. I keep hoping I will find a nice suit like this that I can wear to work, night out on the town, etc...

100_5569.jpg

100_5571.jpg

100_5572.jpg

100_5570.jpg

100_5574.jpg

100_5575.jpg

100_5576.jpg

let me know what you all think.

its wool and perfect. The colors are really nice. I really just got lucky on picking this up today. It would be been even luckier if it would have fit :(

THank you for any and all information I can get on this.

CJ

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
cmjordan77 said:
Hi, I bought this suit today. I actually listed it in the CLASSIFIED Section.
I wanted to see if someone could give me their thoughts on ERA. I GOOGLED GOODIMATE and there were articles on GOODIMATE in many things from the 1940's

Since the fly was all button like this (My army pants from the 30's and 40's are exact same style), I figured it was from the 30's or 40's. It really is a gorgeous suit. I just wish it was bigger. I keep hoping I will find a nice suit like this that I can wear to work, night out on the town, etc...

let me know what you all think.

its wool and perfect. The colors are really nice. I really just got lucky on picking this up today. It would be been even luckier if it would have fit :(

THank you for any and all information I can get on this.

CJ

Early 40's at the youngest I'd say. Button fly and flat front trousers were becoming obsolete by the early 40's but, there were many tailors still "kicking it old school" on into the 40's. It's difficult to tell what the cut is like on the jacket with it laid flat like that. Seeing a proper fit would be easier to narrow it down. Is there a union label inside the inside jacket pocket? Sometimes there are union labels sewn into trousers as well, often near the back pockets; they're tricky to find sometimes and even if you do find one, the date may be sewn into the seam.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Nick D said:
Not for me, but I just won this on the Bay for my son. So he's only five months old, he'll grow into it :D

As the seller says, this was one stylin' kid. Action belted back, patch pockets, wide trousers. Top this with the small Stetson Stratoliner we already bought him (which will fit him about the same time), all he needs now is a good pair of shoes.

!BfTBFlgBWk~$(KGrHqUH-EMEr8iPuELhBL!tyM7YF!~~_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130345400090&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ok, let's see the back!!! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy