Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

cptjeff

Practically Family
Here's one I picked up at a thrift store not long ago:
P1000536.jpg

Ignore the shirt, it was just the one I was wearing that day. And yes, I know the jacket's a little large- it has a 42" chest, normally I need around a 40". But the pants are the right size, and it's the right length and comfortable, so I'm willing to sacrifice.

But does anyone have a guess on age?

Here's the fabric (a nice wool flannel):
P1000546.jpg

And the woolmark:
P1000547.jpg

My guess would be 80's, but the bubbly font on the woolmark makes me wonder if it's 60's or 70's.

reetpleat said:
to a point. But if something is poorly listed, wrong category, for example, then it is not subject to supply and demand. This is the main point of marks desire to not hae a hidden auction publicized.

Of course, if photos are bad, or seller does not know what he has, then it is a matter of limited perception of value, which is a little different, but similar.

Both of these would be good reasons for loungers to help each other out by publicizing auctions. But like I said, i don't care.

But if marke posted or let you know that ther was a large suit posted in the wrong category, then the posting would be doing you a service by calling it to your attention. of course, then you wold have to compete with Doran and others.

in the end, I think the policy is fine, as it is uniform, and gives all buyers an equal chance to find that poorly listed gem.

All of those things are to the advantage of the knowledgeable and those who have tons of time to waste looking. :rolleyes: ;) However, the advantage would be lost if you posted the auction here so that hundreds of new bidders could potentially find the hidden auction.
If you want to help others find an auction, PM them the link. The targeted help would likely be appreciated. :D

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
cptjeff said:
Here's one I picked up at a thrift store not long ago:
P1000536.jpg

Ignore the shirt, it was just the one I was wearing that day. And yes, I know the jacket's a little large- it has a 42" chest, normally I need around a 40". But the pants are the right size, and it's the right length and comfortable, so I'm willing to sacrifice.

But does anyone have a guess on age?

My guess would be 80's, but the bubbly font on the woolmark makes me wonder if it's 60's or 70's.

I think it fits you just fine! It is a later suit, maybe late 80s and or early 90s.

I used to have a suit very much like that in the mid 90s... it was a black gab but, same cut.

Wear it and enjoy it!

Marc Chevalier said:
For instance ... extra fancy belted backs with pleated pockets, famous maker (i.e.,"Studio Clothes by Macintosh", "Hart Schaffner & Marx 'Bench Made'") 1930s double-breasteds with vests, 1920s-'30s 3-piece single-breasteds with peak lapels and double-breasted vests, etc.

All in sizes over 40. :p
I have a couple of those. Nice to know I am in the "upper echelon." lol lol lol lol lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
For instance ... extra fancy belted backs with pleated pockets, famous maker (i.e.,"Studio Clothes by Macintosh", "Hart Schaffner & Marx 'Bench Made'") 1930s double-breasteds with vests, 1920s-'30s 3-piece single-breasteds with peak lapels and double-breasted vests, etc.

Is HSM bench made considered anywhere near as prestigeous as macintosh, etc?

I just went to my pile of ebay stuff and pulled out a suit i remembered having been labeled as Bench made. It is obviously nicer than average quality, hand stitching on the collar etc. Nice single breasted three piece bluish with redish stripes.

looked at the label and sure enough "hart shaffner and marx.

What does bench made mean, anyway?

Found some interesting history on the company, and posted it in a thread. They were huge, and still are, having owned many brands including Kupenheimer.

Also found cool ad.

this man appreciates the finer things in life.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...OoUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GuIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5700,2172300

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
reetpleat said:
Is HSM bench made considered anywhere near as prestigeous as macintosh, etc?

In the 1920s and '30s, Hart, Schaffner & Marx made (IMO) the finest mass-produced suits in the country. 'Bench Made' (or 'Bench Tailored') was HSM's top-of-the-line: faithful copies of Savile Row models, right down to the pick-stitched lapels and seams. Most of the work was done by hand. Only two 1930s HSM 'Bench Made' suits have been shown on the Lounge: mine and Robert Conway's. This was mine (sold long ago):

IMG_1201_edited-2.jpg

Check out the inverse pleats on the vest:

IMG_1192_edited-1.jpg

You can see a thread about Robert Conway's suit here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=144263#post144263

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
^Beautiful suit, especially the vest!

Had this suit for nearly 2 years, wore it for the first time today. A lot of positive comments about it!

Originally from "Frankel's" in Des Moines, Iowa. Early '40s.

Would you call this a drape suit?

me134.jpg

me131.jpg

me135.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925