Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Chrome

One of the Regulars
It is oddball alright :)

Sleevebuttons are different way too, loose belt and seems like side vents (unopened, white thread visible) seventies with narrow lapels?

Feraud

Bartender
What do you make of this oddball suit?

422760344_o.jpg
Possibly an early 80's number?
I saw an overcoat from the era that was a db with a notch lapel.
Also, doesn't David Bowie wear a suit cut in this style in the video China Girl ?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thrift shop pickup. The man it belonged to was a lawyer who lives (lived?) less than a block from my house. The building that housed the tailor's shop this was bought from is still there, though it is vacant. The entryway terrazzo still spells out "tip top"

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Here's where it was originally sold, as it looks now.
154887_480564870908_630485908_5663980_1547925_n.jpg

69767_480565515908_630485908_5663991_8190014_n.jpg

68509_480564965908_630485908_5663982_7943069_n.jpg

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great silhouette! The waist makes all the difference. Does it fit you? Did the stain on the lapel come out? If so: congratulations to a great suit.

anon`

One Too Many
Great silhouette! The waist makes all the difference. Does it fit you? Did the stain on the lapel come out? If so: congratulations to a great suit.
Thanks!
Yes, it fits for the most part. Both the jacket and the waistcoat will be relaxed a bit when I can get back to Portland, but there's plenty of selvage for that. The stain wasn't actually much of a stain. It was much more faint in person than the picture makes it look, and it quickly came out after a slightly vigorous assault with a brush :)

Bonus: it sports an NRA label, and the seller included a pair of contemporary braces and a tie. Can't really complain about that!

sproily

Practically Family
ssssa008.jpg

What do you make of this? It was made in Karjala, the part of Finland which was occupied and lost in the second World War. That means, I suppose, that it was made before 1939. Do any of you have any idea how early 30's it is? I had hunch of early-to-mid 30's. Perhaps even very very late 20's?

It's a beautifully crafted jacket and fits me no less than perfect. Very happy with it. The buttoning is odd though: can't button just the highest one, as it makes it look like a morning dress jacket and when I button the two it just feels wrong. I can wear it unfastened, though, until I figure out what works best.

It looks very flattering on me because the hourglass shape is very prominent. The waist of the jacket is considerably smaller in diameter when contrasted with the hip or chest measurements. Photos, with me in them, will be taken somewhere in the near future if possible. Make a mental note.

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
ssssa008.jpg

What do you make of this? It was made in Karjala, the part of Finland which was occupied and lost in the second World War. That means, I suppose, that it was made before 1939. Do any of you have any idea how early 30's it is? I had hunch of early-to-mid 30's. Perhaps even very very late 20's?

It's a beautifully crafted jacket and fits me no less than perfect. Very happy with it. The buttoning is odd though: can't button just the highest one, as it makes it look like a morning dress jacket and when I button the two it just feels wrong. I can wear it unfastened, though, until I figure out what works best.

It looks very flattering on me because the hourglass shape is very prominent. The waist of the jacket is considerably smaller in diameter when contrasted with the hip or chest measurements. Photos, with me in them, will be taken somewhere in the near future if possible. Make a mental note.

It's definitely 20s Sproily with those curved lapels...very Jazz Age..incredible find in that condition.

sproily

Practically Family
The condition is perfect. No moth bites or the like. Some damage to the lining but very slight.

And the best part: I paid 28€ incl. shipping ...

Being a newbie to the forums, I thought I might start myself off with a bang. I can never find many vintage pieces that fit me (or any in general), but I came across this three-piece suit at the Goodwill. It's got the copyrighted ACWA union label on the inside pocket, along with a Woolmark label. Other than that, there's no other marks - not even a store label. I'll upload more detailed pictures in the future, but this was just a quick snapshot.
suit1l.jpg

SheBear74

Practically Family
This isn't a vintage suit, but I thought the pics had a vintage feel. I am also just a proud Mama lol so I want to show off my kid.

148552_457746793322_230405898322_5522069_7155679_n.jpg

74372_457746773322_230405898322_5522068_6152015_n.jpg

Benny Holiday

It's been a while since I've had a chance to trawl the Lounge, and I see the suit standards are as high as ever. That Jazz Era suit is a real find
Sproily, and we've got TimeIsAPerception and SheBear's son to show just how sharp a suit can look.

Here are pics of my latest acquisition, courtesy of my tailor. It's based on a suit depicted in 1938 menswear catalogue posted in the catalogue scans page of the Lounge. Thanks heaps to the kind Lounger who posted the scans in the first place!

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

I purchased the fabric, a heavy wool tweed, from Trim Fabric (www.trimfabric.com). It's light grey with neps
of dark blue, orange and lavender through it, as evidenced in the last photo. It looks very 1930s.

My only regret is that the lapels on the waiscoat aren't wider, with a fuller belly, but it's the first time I've had
my tailor create a DB vest like that so it's been a learning curve for us both!

Last edited:

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
It's been a while since I've had a chance to trawl the Lounge, and I see the suit standards are as high as ever. That Jazz Era suit is a real find
Sproily, and we've got TimeIsAPerception and SheBear's son to show just how sharp a suit can look.

Here are pics of my latest acquisition, courtesy of my tailor. It's based on a suit depicted in 1938 menswear catalogue posted in the catalogue scans page of the Lounge. Thanks heaps to the kind Lounger who posted the scans in the first place!

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

I purchased the fabric, a heavy wool tweed, from Trim Fabric (www.trimfabric.com). It's light grey with neps
of dark blue, orange and lavender through it, as evidenced in the last photo. It looks very 1930s.

My only regret is that the lapels on the waiscoat aren't wider, with a fuller belly, but it's the first time I've had
my tailor create a DB vest like that so it's been a learning curve for us both!

Excellent! Excuse me for being forward but how much did you pay for the suit, and I need the name of your tailor...

Benny Holiday

Thanks for the compliments gents. Mario does a good job!

Djgo-cat-go, my tailor is Mario Valenti, 62 Moore St, Liverpool, in the south west of Sydney. The tailoring itself cost me AU$600, the cost
of the fabric was about US$120.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliments gents. Mario does a good job!

Djgo-cat-go, my tailor is Mario Valenti, 62 Moore St, Liverpool, in the south west of Sydney. The tailoring itself cost me AU$600, the cost
of the fabric was about US$120.

Liverpool, yes! I have family over there... ehm, Liverpool England that is.. I suppose that's quite a bargain for such a great suit. Wonderful fabric,

Thanks Benny, enjoy your suit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner