Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Levallois

Practically Family
Well the tag has the 1939 copyright so the suit was made between 1939 and 1949.

DSC01719.jpg

No other tags on it. It needs some minor adjustments including, as Jingo Mastapone noticed, the buttons are off on the jacket, plus taking in the waist on and lengthening the pants but I think with some minor work it can easily be put back to right. All in all, not bad for $100.

DSC01732.jpg

Last edited:

bchin415

New in Town
Pierre Cardin was pretty popular about 20-30 years ago. You have made a wonderful find. Also, it's so nice to welcome another Lounge member in Northern California.

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that. I asked around another forum and they said it was junk that would be better off being given to a thrift store. I have not had the chance to look for any other tags (besides the given photos and it saying "Made in USA") regarding it's material. That may be a problem because the pants with the jacket do not fit me whatsoever and I have no idea what kind I should buy and where I can get them.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I'm glad to hear that. I asked around another forum and they said it was junk that would be better off being given to a thrift store. I have not had the chance to look for any other tags (besides the given photos and it saying "Made in USA") regarding it's material. That may be a problem because the pants with the jacket do not fit me whatsoever and I have no idea what kind I should buy and where I can get them.

No, it's not junk. Regarding the trousers, talk with a tailor and see if they can be altered to fit you.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
Well the tag has the 1939 copyright so the suit was made between 1939 and 1949.

DSC01719.jpg

No other tags on it. It needs some minor adjustments including, as Jingo Mastapone noticed, the buttons are off on the jacket, plus taking in the waist on and lengthening the pants but I think with some minor work it can easily be put back to right. All in all, not bad for $100.

DSC01732.jpg

That's a smart suit! Where did you find it?

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
This one's a recent acquisition. Judging by the features, I'm guessing it's a war-time piece? '42-'46ish? What are your thoughts on that?

Light to medium weight gabardine. The trousers have forward pleats and no cuffs. It's a rather bold color (a bit brighter than the picture makes it out to be), so I've tried to subdue it with the gray and dark red.

I wore it to a party last night and got several Mad Men comments. :\

5378966320_667813298b_b.jpg

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
This one's a recent acquisition. Judging by the features, I'm guessing it's a war-time piece? '42-'46ish? What are your thoughts on that?

Light to medium weight gabardine. The trousers have forward pleats and no cuffs. It's a rather bold color (a bit brighter than the picture makes it out to be), so I've tried to subdue it with the gray and dark red.

That is a smart looking suit, sir. And on a different topic, great hair! Wish mine behaved like that!

Levallois

Practically Family
That's a smart suit! Where did you find it?

Thanks Matt, I found it on Epay. It's rare for me to find any vintage suit that fits my 44 reg frame for less than $350-400. I was lucky this time. We'll let my tailor decide how lucky when she tells me the bill to alter this thing.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Mad Men? Way off...Without labels it's more difficult to ascertain the age (although the lapels and cut make it look pre-Bold Look), but not having cuffs might make it modern. At any rate, it looks very sharp on you.

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
Mad Men? Way off...Without labels it's more difficult to ascertain the age (although the lapels and cut make it look pre-Bold Look), but not having cuffs might make it modern. At any rate, it looks very sharp on you.

Oh, well it does have a '39 Union label. I guess I forgot to mention that.

And yeah. . . I just sort of smiled politely at the Mad Men comments. I think anything produced before 1970 looks all the same to kids around my age.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Oh, well it does have a '39 Union label. I guess I forgot to mention that.

And yeah. . . I just sort of smiled politely at the Mad Men comments. I think anything produced before 1970 looks all the same to kids around my age.

1939 label? Okay, that pretty much assures that it's WWII vintage, since the V-Line is still rather high on it. Great find. (Did you pick it up in Los Feliz? Ever go to Ozzy Dots?)

Last edited:

S_M_Cumberworth

One of the Regulars
Today was a good mail day. I received this suit and these shoes.

The suit is a 1932 Burton, SB, peak lapels in pretty much immaculate condition. It's fully lined with a grosgrain material, and the sleeves are lined what seems to be cotton twill, instead of satin or rayon. Trousers have forward pleats, but no cuffs for some reason. The seller even threw in the tie I'm wearing for free, as well a a shirt and braces. All in all, I'd say it was a really good deal at $140.

I took this picture right after I took it out of the mail packaging. I'll probably get the sleeves shortened a tad some time in the future.

5385646651_740ff9e77c_b.jpg

5386248676_229f2244ce_b.jpg

I find the trousers to be pretty interesting. All but one of the braces buttons is placed on the outside. The waistband tab is so long that the last button had to be placed on the inside of the band.

5386248194_cc4b6a30c4_b.jpg

Bugsy

One Too Many

The suit is a 1932 Burton, SB, peak lapels in pretty much immaculate condition. It's fully lined with a grosgrain material, and the sleeves are lined what seems to be cotton twill, instead of satin or rayon. Trousers have forward pleats, but no cuffs for some reason. The seller even threw in the tie I'm wearing for free, as well a a shirt and braces. All in all, I'd say it was a really good deal at $140.

I took this picture right after I took it out of the mail packaging. I'll probably get the sleeves shortened a tad some time in the future.

I find the trousers to be pretty interesting. All but one of the braces buttons is placed on the outside. The waistband tab is so long that the last button had to be placed on the inside of the band.

I have never seen a buttons for braces with that arrangement. You got quite a deal. It's a wonderful looking outfit. Congratulations.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars

That is absolutely sharp looking!!! Right out of the pages of GQ! Do you moonlight as a suit model!!

That suspender button configuration is quite common on British suits of the era, to deal with the extender tab, as the owner stated. Also, quite often you'll see the "front" right suspender button on the outside like all the rest, flywards of the extender tab closure hook, and on the waistband under the tab.

bk

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
Good Morning Mr Cumberworth.

Nice whistle, Sir, but I was just wondering where you ascertained the manufacture date from?
If you are referring to the '32' shown on the label, I believe that is the the trouser waist size, when it left Monty's Emporium anyway.
Any chance of a photo of the Burton brand label?

Best Regards
HH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari