Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Having the button stance moved shouldn't have affected it too much, considering I asked him to do it when the jacket was still in the baste stage, so re-balancing shouldn't have been a problem...

Kurtz, can't wait to see your stuff!

Oh boy, not to put too fine a point on it, the find i have to show (not the suit) has blown my socks off, and i think it will everyone elses. Well, maybe not, but i've been grinning like a cheshire cat :D since it arrived. You'll need to wait a couple hours till i get home from work, though ...

watch this space
bk

bgbdesign

New in Town
Ghos7a55assin said:
Phew! That navy suit is a beauty! How high does the waist have to be to overlap with that waistcoat??
Someone correct me, but aren't inverse pleats forward facing and reverse pleats outward facing?

Just out of curiosity, what size are you, bgbdesign?
I now wear around a 38 short/regular depending on cut and do have several 36 reg and short suits available that will never fit again.I;ve been collecting vintage since about 1977 and have seen the cool bits over the years! have rodeo shirts,hawaiians,gabs,attachable collars,shoes,hats,o coats,ties,scarves,sport shirts,and more. I started out selling mens tailored suits and stayed in the rag trade for years before going off into military,vintage clothing ,and denim.Also I can do my own alterations(big help!)
the white suit is a 36 short- sorry gents I know all the great things are smallish
bg

bgbdesign

New in Town
Although I didnt join the forum merely to sell, the white suit is for sale at present(not the blue sorry)
might pm me if interested
thanks much
bg

Wild Root

Gone Home
bgbdesign I must say...

Hello dream suits! Oh my gosh my dear friend, you have a very rare three piece belted DB suit there! I am sick with jealousy! You're now a 38R? Geez, lay off the Krispy Kreams!:p If you don't pick up my sarcasm, 38R is still a small size.;) We should all be so lucky.

Ray, your tailor made is really looking good! The cut and overall look is perfect! However, there is one small detail that you may want to have added and that is a button hole on the right lapel! As you know, vintage DB's always have a button hole on each lapel. I have seen some French DB's that have no button holes at all but, in general DB's of the 20's-50's all had a button hole on each lapel.

Looking good boys!

=WR=

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Ghos7a55assin said:
Is it just me or is the jacket a little long, too?

i think a bit shorter would be better. i'm sure many here will disagree, but i think loads of guys wear their jackets too long. neat up top, wide downstairs. that's my proportion advice.

Okay, here goes ...

1936 union tagged DB 3 piece. I apologise that there is only one good pic. Rich blue colour with a double double pinstripe in white and red. Waistcoat, though not pictured (sorry didn't get many good pics) is 6 button 4 pocket. pants, again not pictured, are flat front and pretty low rise, compared to others i've seen (though, really to compare them to modern low rise is ludicrous). Looks very much like some i've seen going on eBay for $250-$350. Do please forgive the huge turnups. The pants legs (as always!) are too long for me.

Also:

36UT1.jpg

the pattern detail:

36UTColour.jpg

And now ... what we've all been waiting for: A 30s overcoat that i picked up for $15. the jacket was black, but has discoloured. Bad? No, i love it. it is UNIFORMLY discoloured, suggesting that it was worn soooo much that it lost its black colour. Unlike another jacket i have that just hung on a rack near a window for so long that one side was brown, the other black. Forgive the cane, i was trying to recreate some pics of James Joyce (particularly the back pic). Pity i don't have the backdrop of 1930s Zurich ...

NRAFront1.jpg
NRABack.jpg

And the maker Tag? - J.C. Penney

NRAJCPTag.jpg

But why should we be so excited? Well, when it got back from the dry cleaners i took a glance inside the inside breast pocket ...

NRANRATag.jpg

bk

btw. ray and everyone.

I've noticed (i have a few suits from Thailand, recently made - before i got into vintage) that the shoulders on suits made in "the east" tend to have a convex shape. i.e. there is an outward bulge from the neck seam to the shoulder seam. Ray's suit appears to have this feature also. Is this a common feature-ama of modern suits? The vintage i have and have seen are all flat shouldered or slightly concave in shape from neck to shoulder seam. Was the convex shoulder profile common in the golden era suit?

bk

Ahem ... Go Steelers!!

Jay

Practically Family
I finally got one!

At one of the far-off thrift stores I frequent, I finally found a nice, old suit. Its a medium brown herringbone three-piece dated 1943. Its button-fly and really high-waisted. The pants are flat fronted with about a one and a half inch cuff and they barely taper. The jacket(notch lapel, skeleton-lined, and tapered waist) and vest both have high armholes(It is all about the armholes!) and the best part it only cost me 12 dollars. I also picked up a trenchcoat exactly like the one Bogart wore in "Casablanca" and "The Big Sleep." That only cost me 3 dollars! I'll be sure to post some pictures when I find the cables for my camera.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, that is good news! And it's a war time three piece? How rare is that! During WWII, three piece suits weren't being made much to my knowledge or suits with cuffs for that matter. Most suits I have seen from 1943-1945 were cuff less and vest less. Not many Double breasted suits were made either. Fabric rationing was enforced as the war went on into 1944. So, in short, you have a very rare suit my friend and treat it well! Cherish it and as you wear it, you'll find your self thinking of who the man was who owned it first and what he was like and so on. He may have been a member of Government which makes sense seeing it's a three piece with cuffs. The more we know about the 40's, the less we know about the 40's!:p

Good looking suit there BK, be sure to ask your tailor to have them cuffed with a nice 1 3/4 inch cuff and not to cut a single thread of extra fabric! The hat looks good on ya too.

=WR=

Jay said:
At one of the far-off thrift stores I frequent, I finally found a nice, old suit. Its a medium brown herringbone three-piece dated 1943. Its button-fly and really high-waisted. The pants are flat fronted with about a one and a half inch cuff and they barely taper. The jacket(notch lapel, skeleton-lined, and tapered waist) and vest both have high armholes

Good god! That's an amazing deal!

pics pics pics, please.

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz, your overcoat is quite a find! The cut and fabric shows that it is a polo coat. (See another thread -- in "hats" -- on this type of coat.) It's fairly easy to find a polo coat in tan camel hair; it's much more difficult to nab one in brown, navy blue, or grey, and almost impossible to find a BLACK version. Looks like you did it!

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
So Jealous

Hello Gent's,

Living in Australia has it's good sides, beaches weather etc etc, but the downside is that the vintage world is very small. I am so envious that you can all get together in your Vintage finery at days at the races and bars like the Dresden etc. The other problem is that it is so hard to find anything vintage, thank god for ebay, although just got sniped on a beautiful 3 piece on Friday.

Would any of you guys be interested in helping an aussie guy expand on his vintage wardrobe? I would love to have access to the Thrift shops you all have access too, but to fly to LA is rather expensive and takes 14 hours!

Would be willing to pay all costs for shipping etc..... I am desperate to add a few more vintage 3 pieces to my wardrobe, and with Art's shop gone .... I am around a 38 to 40 reg so if on your hunts you see anything let me know.

Cheers

Peter

Marc Chevalier said:
Baron Kurtz, your overcoat is quite a find! The cut and fabric shows that it is a polo coat. (See another thread -- in "hats" -- on this type of coat.) It's fairly easy to find a polo coat in tan camel hair; it's much more difficult to nab one in brown, navy blue, or grey, and almost impossible to find a BLACK version. Looks like you did it!

Just a pity it's faded. But, as i say, i like it. Something with NRA tags should look worn.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR