Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Wild Root

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
Heheheheh! If I had a dollar for every guy I heard say that only to find him run after the first dame that threw any attention his way the next day; I would be a billionaire. :p Some may be trouble but trouble has a way of finding most of us at least once or twice. Hopefully you end up married before then. ;)

Regards to all,

J

JP, don't worry, Matt's middle name is Trouble! :p

=WR=

Nick Charles said:
d9_12.JPG

Nice looking jacket. I love the contrast stitching you often find on vintage - particularly lapel - buttonholes ...

What is the pattern (if any) on the suit?

bk

Nick Charles said:
can you elaborate on "in the freezer"?

I got the three peice suit as a real cheap (almost destroyed by moths) cutter from eBay - see earlier post. It turned out to be what i think is an early thirties SB peak lapel. It has wonderful contrast bakelite buttons which i'll be culling from it.

Anyway, i heard that one way to get rid of any residual moth embryos was to put it in the freezer for a while (estimates range from one day to two weeks at -20 Celcius). Makes sense - insect embryos can take some cooling with the only effect being a reduction in development rate, but freezing will generally kill them. I don't want to waste my money on dry cleaning for a suit that i'll never wear. Therefore, it's "in the freezer" for two weeks. Maybe the trousers will be wearable, but i think the waist is too big.

Apologies for being obscure

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt, your second picture reminds me of an advertising campaign for Brylcreem that ran in ESQUIRE magazine throughout the '30s. It showed male mannequin heads with different hairstyles. One of them had shiny black hair painted on: Brylcreem criticized it as "the patent leather gigolo look". Another head had real hair in your, er, style. It was derided as "the watered down, dried out straw look".

Sorry about that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot