Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Tip of the fedora to.....

Havershaw: for posting those pictures. You, sir, are an example to us all,
and
Marc Chevalier: for hunting down the perfect suit and then having the good grace to allow another gentleman first shot at it. Very rare these days- very rare, indeed!

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Cuz2-vi.jpg
MattDeckard-vi.jpg

IMG_2222-vi.jpg
MattDeckard1-vi.jpg

mattdeckard3-vi.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Matt, you have lovely ladies in 3 pictures. In the other 2 you are drinking...any correlation? LOL

Chad

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Ghos7a55assin said:
When I get back to Taiwan I'll have a few suits to show ya'll that I'm getting as a gift. They're size 40's so they'll need to be trimmed somewhat drastically to my 36, but I think it's do-able with the right tailor.

According to a local tailor, it would be extremely difficult to recut a suit that far down. She says it has to do with making the shoulders look right again. Something to think about.

Chad

havershaw

Practically Family
Yeah, this one is one of my two all-time favorite suits. I got the tweed one with a Buy It Now on eBay for $70.00, if you can believe it. I had the pants taken in and didn't touch the rest. Fits like it was made for me! I have four suits that fit like they were tailored for me - but they weren't - and those are the ones I took to the tailor to show him how to cut my others.
Today is photo day - taking pictures for the Golden Era, and I'll have some more detailed photos of that suit and many more.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I wonder what makes it look so good. I thought I didn't really like lapels that are so small.

Maybe we'll wait for your picture day :D, but then I'd love to know everybody's analyses what makes this piece different from a superficially similar modern suit.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I wonder what makes it look so good. I thought I didn't really like lapels that are so small.

Maybe we'll wait for your picture day :D, but then I'd love to know everybody's analyses what makes this piece different from a superficially similar modern suit.

the fabric.
you don't see many modern suits with a texture like that.
i wouldn't call those lapels small either.
it's a great photo and Havershaw's head and accessories (including the cigar) all add to the look.

oh and Havershaw, your baby has the sweetest most peaceful expression. i usually don't ooh and ahh over kids, but that is one cute baby !

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Yesterday afternoon, I was at a thrift store and found ... an early 1950s Brooks Brothers tan herringbone tweed jacket. Thick yet drapely, with a high 3-button stance, patch pockets with flaps, center vent -- classic Brooks Brothers from a time when it was still, well, Brooks Brothers. Size 42 L. Perfect condition.

So I thought to myself, "There might be some trousers to this jacket. It's probably a suit." (Thrift stores sometimes carelessly separate suit jackets from their matching trousers, then hang them in different sections of the store and price them individually.) I start hunting around, when I spot a guy holding the very trousers that I'm looking for.

Now, I'm not a 42 L, and this guy was. By the way he was carrying the trousers around, I could see that he intended to buy them. He also looked like he could use a suit.

I approached him with the jacket and offered it to him. He seemed surprised and very grateful. Tried on the jacket immediately and it fit him well. I told him what a great quality suit it was, and he told me how much he liked the trousers ... and now with the jacket, it was even better. He asked me politely if I wanted the suit. I answered, "no". Of course, I was lying.

Felt good about the whole experience. If I had gotten the suit, I would have just sold it. But this fellow? He'll wear it and feel great in it.

:)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Bob, it's might good to see ya back! Man, it's been way too long! The new born is looking very sweet! Congrats once again!

Now, this photo is worth a million!

(Mother's voice)
Bobby, it's time to come in dear, your dinner is getting cold...

ee0ffc2b.jpg

Nah, I don't wanna!lol

=WR=

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Havershaw, Isn't it awfully hot where you live? It must be difficult to dress in suits there. I imagine that the locals would be more or less permanently attired in shorts and such. I love your style!

Marc, That's a really nice gesture...very Jimmy Stewart of you to help that fellow out by offering the matching suit jacket. :eusa_clap

havershaw

Practically Family
Yes, it is obscenely hot where I live. I generally have to leave the suits in the closet from June through August (with some exceptions) as far as being daily wear. Some time in September, things usually cool off enough for me to start wearing them to work every day again. You know, it's air-conditoined pretty much everywhere here, so no matter what, unless you're outside, generally speaking, it's not that hot.
Now, the house I just bought was built in 1922, so it has no air-conditioning (it's in pretty much completely original condition). It has an EVAP cooler (which just broke), so it's pretty hot in here in this summer (our first summer in the house). We just bought a big window unit so things are finally cooling down here.
I have two or three summerweight suits that fare pretty well in the summer as well, so if I need to wear a suit for something, I reach for those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy