Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
IMG_2222-vi.jpg

Don't try to puppy-face us, Mr. Deckard! But seriously- the change is really quite dramatic. Good on ya! :cheers1:
When I get back to Taiwan I'll have a few suits to show ya'll that I'm getting as a gift. They're size 40's so they'll need to be trimmed somewhat drastically to my 36, but I think it's do-able with the right tailor.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Somehow I think you guys are just saying that because I know you two both wear size 40 suits....
At any rate, I'll analyze the situation more when I have the suits in my hands. It wouldn't cost more than $50 to get altered in Taiwan.

havershaw

Practically Family
Here are a few of my favorites, though these are not neceesarily the best photos.
30s 3-piece tweed:
ee0fe243.jpg

ee0fdb20.jpg

ee0fcb59.jpg

40s 3-piece gabardine (with a female fan):
ee0fe24f.jpg

40s gabardine 2-piece:
ee0fca37.jpg

ee0ffc2b.jpg

summerweight late 40s greyish yellowish plaid (and NOS grey Borsalino):
ee0fbda0.jpg

last year's New Year's (baby still in the oven), 40s d/b tux and good-looking wife:
ee0fbd88.jpg

havershaw

Practically Family
40s d/b blue wool gabardine, the boy:
ee0fca92.jpg

3-piece d/b gabardine mocha pinstripe, the Ambassador Hotel:
ee0fbde1.jpg

and (not really applicable in the suit section, but ah well)
a 40s wool overcoat. I had this sized down from a 42 to a 38. but my tailor was awesome (she retired, of course):
ee0fe1f1.jpg

I've got some more new suits. The wife has agreed that tomorrow is photo day.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Ghos7a55assin said:
Somehow I think you guys are just saying that because I know you two both wear size 40 suits....

lol Depends on the suit!

No, seriously, the alteration could cost a lot more than $50 here. If you're coming to the Los Angeles area, I can recommend an excellent tailor who will charge a fair price for the work involved.

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:

Did you need that patch, or are you a another cosmetic-eyepatch wearer? I don't have too many good pictures if the suit (that should change soon), but it's an insanely heavy wool black double breasted with 6 buttons, 3 that function. Fits like a glove, just the sleeves are a hair too short. I love the feeling of the wool, it has alot of weight. I'm wearing it with a white shirt, white silk pocket square, black hat, and black brocade tie.

havershaw

Practically Family
aw, thanks! yeah, the kid is cute. that photo, of course, is four months old. He's 8 lbs. or so there - now he weighs 17 1/2 lbs., so he is certainly not suffering from malnutrition. he's awesome.

Yeah, I don't know why the suit is better than modern suits, but I'd have to think that the fabric is one of them. I went to Brooks Brothers and checked out their most expensive suits and it all felt like cheapo fabric to me. I'm sure it's not, but none of it felt like the quality of vintage suits. My retired tailor used to marvel at the quality of the suits I would bring her.

They're also cut much different, the material hangs differently, the armholes are cut a lot differently, which allows for more action. For me, there's something about the look and texture of a piece of clothing that's been on earth for 60+ years that a new suit will just never have.

Also...photo day will be tomorrow instead. The a/c and EVAP cooler went out here at my house, and it's 109 degrees. Not the best time to put on a bunch of winterweight wool suits.

I may snap some hat pics instead.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's the behaviour of a gentleman who respects the needs and feelings of those with whom he shares society Marc, and an example of the sort of outlook that's sadly lacking in many people these days. Good for you!

Havershaw, your suits, like your hats and ties, are very sharp, sir. And little Havershaw is a gem! Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy