Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It's not a suit per se, and it may not be anything impressive, but this has been my go-to sport coat for several months now (before, I only had an ill-fitting black suit I wore to weddings, funerals, and cruises). It's olive green tweed with a hint of brown to it. It's also wool, and made by Chaps.

This was as bright a picture I could take, sorry:

dsc00092.jpg

And a picture of me wearing it:

dsc00090ny.jpg

The fit is definitely not of tailored quality, though, the sleeves are low below the shoulders for instance, and the bottom of the sleeves is drooping towards just below the wrist by an inch or fraction thereof... I am thinking about buying a charcoal or other shade of a dark grey suit next, however. I don't really have the means to purchase a vintage suit just yet. Oh, and sorry for the poor quality photos, I didn't have anyone else to take it, and it was off of my cell phone anyway.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
J B said:
It's not a suit per se, and it may not be anything impressive, but this has been my go-to sport coat for several months now (before, I only had an ill-fitting black suit I wore to weddings, funerals, and cruises). It's olive green tweed with a hint of brown to it. It's also wool, and made by Chaps.

This was as bright a picture I could take, sorry:

dsc00092.jpg

And a picture of me wearing it:

dsc00090ny.jpg

The fit is definitely not of tailored quality, though, the sleeves are low below the shoulders for instance, and the bottom of the sleeves is drooping towards just below the wrist by an inch or fraction thereof... I am thinking about buying a charcoal or other shade of a dark grey suit next, however. I don't really have the means to purchase a vintage suit just yet. Oh, and sorry for the poor quality photos, I didn't have anyone else to take it, and it was off of my cell phone anyway.

Hey, if it's your knock-around sports coat, nothing to apologize for. At least you're not wearing a sports jersey! :eusa_clap

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
Hey, if it's your knock-around sports coat, nothing to apologize for. At least you're not wearing a sports jersey! :eusa_clap

Why, thank you! Oh, and I don't actually own a sport jersey. Even if I did, I would only wear one at an actual sport game, heh. Anyway, it's bad enough that I only have one single sport coat, I should buy an actual suit soon too. If not that, maybe a navy blue blazer...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

My friend's 1933-'35 belted back suit:

ADSLA002.jpg
ADSLA003.jpg

Being a bit on the portly side I have often wondered if I could wear a belt back and now I know I can. Maybe the tweed fabric makes it more possible. Any views?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
There's some altering to be done, so I don't have pics yet -- come to think of it, I'm several suits behind in posting pics in this thread -- but I thought I'd share a description of the suit I bought today:

I purchased what will henceforth, no doubt, be my favorite suit, a med-to-dark (but not navy) blue double-breasted with a subtle 3/4" blue-on-blue stripe in the weave. It's a medium weight that will serve me as a three-season suit (I won't be able to wear it in summer, I don't think). The jacket has 4.5" (if I'm measuring them correctly) peaked lapels. The trousers are flat front with a button fly, and measure 22.5" at the knee and 20" at the cuff.

The label reads, "Society Brand, Nebraska Clothing Co., Omaha -- Farnam at Fifteenth Street." It was owned by one Walter Chase, who lived at 3868 California Street (his phone number was GL-7477). He purchased it on Jan. 13, 1945.

I'm pleased that it will require very little alteration. I'm going to have the sleeves shortened, and the trousers must be let out a bit in the waist (and maybe just a smidge in the length), but otherwise, it fits me very well indeed.

Pics to come.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
^^Oh, yeah, skyvue, you need to post some photos when able.

I shall, I promise.

Turns out it needed a bit more tailoring than I realized at first blush. I'm due to pick it up on Friday, and it may still need more work at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran