Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Reminds me of this one used book store I came across a few years ago. I walked in to check it out and the place was total chaos. books in boxes, stacked all over the place, etc. Then the owner says that he isn't open yet and to come back in a couple of weeks. I came back a month later. Same story -- still not open yet. So I just gave up on the place. Every now and then I would pass by the bookstore and it still wasn't open. Then one day I saw a sign that said "Going Out of Business Sale," which I thought was very funny because he was never in business!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
There was a secondhand bookstore I fondly remember, across the road from my local movie-house. A very popular place for local bookworms, myself included. That place was JAM PACKED with books on almost every subject on earth before the 1980s. I remember buying some awesome, wonderful, hard-to-find, out-of-print-for-the-last-50-years books in there that you would never find anywhere else. I was very upset when it closed down last year. It is fondly remembered. That shop kicked off my first vintage collection - Hardcover books.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Good Will yesterday
Poodle.jpg

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Love your poodle Land-O-LakesGal

Just purchased this swimsuit from the car boot sale yesterday for £1.50. It seems to be fully adjustable with cord piped around the legs and back, it belonged to the ladies 90 year old mother.
It's made by Martin White and says on the label it's a 'War Emergency Suit', just incase the sun comes out!
Does anyone know much about this brand, I've come across some American photo's and a UK Pathe News reel, but am unsure if this originates from the UK or USA. What do you think?

1940sswimsuit015.jpg

1940sswimsuit022.jpg

1940sswimsuit021.jpg

1940sswimsuit023.jpg

1940sswimsuit028.jpg

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Love your poodle Land-O-LakesGal

Just purchased this swimsuit from the car boot sale yesterday for £1.50. It seems to be fully adjustable with cord piped around the legs and back, it belonged to the ladies 90 year old mother.
It's made by Martin White and says on the label it's a 'War Emergency Suit', just incase the sun comes out!
Does anyone know much about this brand, I've come across some American photo's and a UK Pathe News reel, but am unsure if this originates from the UK or USA. What do you think?

1940sswimsuit015.jpg

1940sswimsuit022.jpg

QUOTE]

That is AMAZING, Poggleberry- I’m extremely green-eyed now!!!! How curious to have a 'war emergency' swim suit...
Tups x

Argee

One of the Regulars
This is actually an antique store find, but I got a great deal on it. Anyway, its a 1939 Waterman Hundred Year pen. This is the first year of production, design changed after that. The cap is rather badly damaged on the other side. I'll be sending it out to a professional for repair, it's worth it.

hundred1.jpg

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Miss Tuppence it tickled me that it was called a 'War Emergency Suit'.

Wow missjoeri I love all your goodies, especially the kitchen cabinet with the ceramic draws, what a find. I've never seen
anything like that in the UK, if I had, it would have come home with me at any cost.

Last edited:
Lotsa people at the well-promoted 35th annual "patio sale" at the big upscale retirement community across the street from my new residence (thank goodness I didn't have to find a place to park). Those lotsa people picked over lotsa mostly overpriced stuff originally purchased from WalMart and Target and the like in recent years. This was my first visit to the big event, and may well be my last.

But I did find this splendid little item. As a fan of the ephemeral stuff, I'm tickled to come across such an item still in such good shape. I'm thinking this one dates from the late 1950s or early '60s.

GEDC0387.jpg

Last edited:
tonyb said:
Lotsa people at the well-promoted 35th annual "patio sale" at the big upscale retirement community across the street from my new residence (thank goodness I didn't have to find a place to park). Those lotsa people picked over lotsa mostly overpriced stuff originally purchased from WalMart and Target and the like in recent years. This was the first visit to the big event, and may well be my last.

Sounds like many of the so-called "estate sales" around here. Ordinary junk, acquired in the last few years, that belonged to some widow who had downsized.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I scored!! Got this glider and two of the chairs pictured for $45.00 !!!!!!

071611183904.jpg

071611183911.jpg

They need refinishing, the glider has some rust damage across the bottom edge. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to have a friend do some welding to really restore it or just leave the damage as is and merely remove rust to prevent it worsening.

Matt

Achturn

New in Town
So I've come into posession of sheet music for the 1900's vaudeville hit "I'm A Member of the Midnight Crew". I know the song as performed by Ed Morton which I'm lucky enough to have on CD!

Here it is matted, I'm preparing to frame it but the glass in my frame shattered so I'll be picking up a new one tomorrow.
MidnightCrewSheetMusic.JPG

And for all of you who know your way across the ol' ivory keys, I took the liberty to scan the sheet music before it becomes a wall piece, and I've made it into a convenient PDF for your music-making pleasure!

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/139133/Midnight Crew Sheet Music.pdf

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not familiar with the song, Achturn, but I do play vintage jazz on the piano regularly. I might give it a turn on the keys when I have a chance. Thanks for the opportunity!

Picked up a new iron. I had bought a brand new one about 6 months ago, broke already. This baby will probably last another 50 years.
GEDC1035.jpg

Picked up this thermometer today.
GEDC1031.jpg

Some of the albums I've picked up recently.
GEDC1040.jpg

GEDC1039.jpg

GEDC1038.jpg

GEDC1037.jpg

GEDC1036.jpg

Achturn

New in Town
I'm not familiar with the song, Achturn, but I do play vintage jazz on the piano regularly. I might give it a turn on the keys when I have a chance. Thanks for the opportunity!

It's a great song, one of my top 3 performed by Ed Morton (my favorite of the vaudeville performers I've heard thus far). And while I can't play sheet music for the life of me I couldn't resist the opportunity to have it for my wall!

Glad to know someone might get some use out of it, I was shocked to see it apparently hasn't been published online before my copy.

Picked up this thermometer today.
*image*
Some of the albums I've picked up recently.
*more images*

That looks like a nice thermometer you've found! does it have a year on it? I can't quite make out the label.

And that's quite a haul in vinyls! I'm particularly envious of that Marty Robbins I see there, I can never find anything like that in my area, mostly a couple thousand Streisand or Sinatra.

There's no year on it, guessing it's from the very late 30's or 40's by the styling.

There is a ton of old country-western albums at the thrift shops around here. I gobble them all up!

That looks like a nice thermometer you've found! does it have a year on it? I can't quite make out the label.

And that's quite a haul in vinyls! I'm particularly envious of that Marty Robbins I see there, I can never find anything like that in my area, mostly a couple thousand Streisand or Sinatra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy