Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

You're fortunate to have the space to keep all that stuff, Tom. Count that as another advantage to living in the sticks. In the larger, more densely populated cities, the space you devote to storing old console hi-fi's and TVs just might rent for more than the mortgage payment on a four-bedroom house on a large lot with an outbuilding or three in metropolitan Pardeeville.

That is quite true. I have a spare house here for storage. :p

My parents have one of those, too lol

That is quite true. I have a spare house here for storage. :p

This is very true. My pop keeps asking me what I'm going to do when I move!

You're fortunate to have the space to keep all that stuff, Tom. Count that as another advantage to living in the sticks. In the larger, more densely populated cities, the space you devote to storing old console hi-fi's and TVs just might rent for more than the mortgage payment on a four-bedroom house on a large lot with an outbuilding or three in metropolitan Pardeeville.

I ran across a secondhand furniture dealer/refinisher who rents a pair of houses next to each other in Tacoma, one of which (the nicer of the two, to my eye) is devoted entirely to storage and workspace. It left me thinking that he was getting an exceptionally good price on the rent, seeing how Tacoma, while markedly less expensive than Seattle, is still not exactly low-cost, and the fellow's little operation surely didn't appear to be a big money-maker.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
My parents have one of those, too lol

This is very true. My pop keeps asking me what I'm going to do when I move!

I know the feeling Tom though I have no wish as yet to move...a few years ago at our local dump you could pick radio consoles up at a fiver (£5) each when everyone was switching over to 'tower' systems, by the way we call them stereograms over here.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I had this Thursday off so myself and she who must not be obeyed had a day out around the local flea market and charity shops...a very useful day I got all this for roughly £25(that's all I had on me!)
2r3b0ox.jpg

Also not included in the picture are one more C.Birnbaum trouser gripper, a pair of modern unworn chelsea/dealer boot, an all wool sportsjacket in greens and a green striped shirt(which didn't fit but at a £1 I'll pass it on to a mate as it's mint...damn I liked it too!)
I'll post more photo's in relevant threads as time allows.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
The shoes and ties are in the relevant threads now, so here are those Birnbaum hangers,

first up the Fitwell No2 suit hanger;
hui0t2.jpg

55fotz.jpg

Next is the Gripwell No3 trouser hanger/gripper,
21ouckg.jpg

I guess the No1 was a Hangwell? No1 for shirts etc? I'll have to look out for some more of these..I paid just £2 for the one suit hanger and 2 trouser hangers, I guess these were made pre WW2?

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I just scored a pair of Peals for BB black patent evening pumps at my local Out of the Closet thrift store. Worn once. $7.75. One size bigger than the pair I bought twenty years ago so just about right! How could I resist?

I got a new curio cabinet for cheap at the Goodwill today.

2012-02-19%252023.44.57.jpg

My next item has a neat little story behind it.

A guy came into the gun store one day. He knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew me, and that I collect. He had an old record player that had belonged to his grandmother. He told me he's 50 and it had sat in her house all his life until he got it, and it's been in a garage since. It was a little under an hour drive into the boonies to go get it, but I think I got a fair deal. He talked me into buying some other stuff, too, so it wasn't a bad pick.

2012-02-19%252023.56.26.jpg

2012-02-19%252023.56.38.jpg

2012-02-19%252023.57.14.jpg

I really liked the fact that it does have some records with it, too. I think with a good clean up, it will look a lot better.

2012-02-19%252023.57.36.jpg

I got a new curio cabinet for cheap at the Goodwill today.

2012-02-19%2023.44.57.jpg

My next item has a neat little story behind it.

A guy came into the gun store one day. He knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew me, and that I collect. He had an old record player that had belonged to his grandmother. He told me he's 50 and it had sat in her house all his life until he got it, and it's been in a garage since. It was a little under an hour drive into the boonies to go get it, but I think I got a fair deal. He talked me into buying some other stuff, too, so it wasn't a bad pick.

2012-02-19%2023.56.26.jpg

2012-02-19%2023.56.38.jpg

2012-02-19%2023.57.14.jpg

I really liked the fact that it does have some records with it, too. I think with a good clean up, it will look a lot better.

2012-02-19%2023.57.36.jpg

This week on Wisconsin Pickers. :p

Nice pick there.

Cricket

Practically Family
I like your setup in the curio Tom. I have many small items that I can't figure out what to do with such as phones, writing devices, small typewriters, etc.

With two little little ones, it's hard to leave many of them out on tables, etc with the fear of something breaking. I have an empty curio and this sparked an idea.

Thanks for posting. :)

Thank you! It's funny that you mention that. My sister was visiting over the weekend and told me that I've got my work cut out for me if I ever have a kid. She says there's lots of baby-proofing to do lol

I like your setup in the curio Tom. I have many small items that I can't figure out what to do with such as phones, writing devices, small typewriters, etc.

With two little little ones, it's hard to leave many of them out on tables, etc with the fear of something breaking. I have an empty curio and this sparked an idea.

Thanks for posting. :)

Thanks very much!

Fabulous finds Tom - I am particularly taken with the record player!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR