Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

My next door neighbor is cleaning out his house and gave me a whole bunch of stuff. Among them is this vintage Mamiya C330 reflex camera.

DSCF7735.jpg

DSCF7737.jpg

DSCF7746.jpg

DSCF7747.jpg

DSCF7749.jpg

DSCF7754.jpg

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
That's fine and dandy, but I grew up with my pop smoking stogies and my grandpa doing the same, or his pipe. I can't help but think that it influenced me, as I smoke both now lol

I'm not fancy schmancy like you, though. Dutch Masters do the trick for me :p

My favorite uncle smoked these

parodi.jpg

and to this day I still remember liking the smell of them.

DonnaP

Familiar Face
From an estate sale this weekend. Despite the fact that it clearly says Electric Shoe Polisher on the side, I bought this because it had all sorts of shoe shining supplies and was only four dollars, and my daughter said she would happily shine shoes if we bought it. It was only until we were looking through it in the car that we realized it was electric.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

It seemed as though they were a very interesting couple, whoever they were--the house was filled with all sorts of wonderful things. I was trying hard to stick to a budget though, and only buy things that I would actually use.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
From an estate sale this weekend. Despite the fact that it clearly says Electric Shoe Polisher on the side, I bought this because it had all sorts of shoe shining supplies and was only four dollars, and my daughter said she would happily shine shoes if we bought it. It was only until we were looking through it in the car that we realized it was electric.

It could be that your daughter is both very observant and shrewd. I wouldn't mind cleaning shoes either if it was electric

Last edited:

DonnaP

Familiar Face
It could be that your daughter is both very observant and shrewd. I would not mid cleaning shoes either if it was electric

Well, she was pretty excited to learn it was electric, but declared she wanted to do it "the old-fashioned way" and shined her black penny loafers :) I'm going to find all of our leather shoes before the novelty wears off.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This cashbox my father gave me years ago. He thought I'd find it cute. It's handy for storing stuff in, but there was no key! And it continued not having a key for several years. I didn't LOSE it...it just never had one!

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

This lack of a key frustrated me and I'd been meaning to find one for a long time. But I kept forgetting to take the box with me when I went to the flea-market. Today, I remembered. The box has a really simple oldschool ward-lock, so finding a key was gonna be pretty easy...

IMG_1549.jpg

I found these keys at the flea-market, and paid $12 for them:

IMG_1550.jpg

They fit perfectly!:

IMG_1551.jpg
[/IMG]

And turn the lock:

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

I'd also wanted one of those old, wind-up, folding alarm clocks (I think they're properly called "Travel clocks"). I had one as a child, but cheap Chinese construction being what it is, the frame holding the movement broke from metal-fatigue, the mainspring exploded and the whole thing was worthless.

I've been on the hunt for a nice replacement ever since. And today, I found this:

IMG_1545.jpg

I've no idea how old it is (probably 1930s, 1940s? It says 'Germany' so it's most likely pre-war).

It was in good condition, it ran smoothly, the bell works, and most importantly...

IMG_1546.jpg

...It keeps perfect time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred