Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Key-rings from the 60's & 70's automotive & currently attached to my scooter keys.

IMG_0276.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I found this at todays car boot, curiosly I'd been looking at exactly the same 'Gillette' razors on Ebay and they all seemed to be selling upwards of £5 plus postage so to find this whole set for £3 was a real bonus!.....I'll be using the razor as soon as my Derby blades and Arko soap arrive( is the Arko any good anyone?)....there's a couple of things missing from the set but it is all immaculate save the leather case which has some storage wear but not much, not sure if I'll try to complete the set with a mirror, brush, nail file and scissors we'll see.
5z484i.jpg
16iz2hz.jpg

2cofvxt.jpg
5bz21k.jpg

5f52sx.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Two finds from France - the table came from an antique shop & we were lucky enough to be able to get it back on the plane in oversized luggage (needless to say we weren't flying with Ryanair!) - someone put casters on the legs some time ago but we'll leave them on it - they have been there for many years it seems.

The clock came from the market in Nice. The clock was originally coin operated - one Franc would make it run for a week - the coin operated part has been removed so it doesn't chime unfortunately (still one chiming clock in the house is ample!) and it does run a little fast:

This oak Art Deco wardrobe - Looking forward to this being delivered! Some of you might remember I had bought a set of two Art Deco wardrobes and a dressing table last year but sadly we got stung - the seller was cute enough to wrap them in cellophane so we didn't see all the wormwood damage to the wardrobes until we moved them to our new house - only the dressing table was wormwood free. Still a valuable lesson was learned:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A good clockmaker can sort out the timing issue on the clock. Or you can, if you're patient enough.

Why on earth would it be necessary to have a coin-operated clock??

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Why on earth would it be necessary to have a coin-operated clock??

I found this online -

http://www.i-brocante.fr.i-brocante...DASTRAVA-no-JUNGHANS-no-Westminster-regulator

Here is a (bad) rough translation of the reason for the coin operation aspect of the clock:

A coin operated clock, set up at the customer by Mutual Insurance Company Life "WORK" in a savings goal. This type of clock was not working if the user regularly inserted a coin into the back of the unit for it to work. This money was then regularly collected by the insurer who insured party against the user. PENDASTRAVA The collector is a daily, at home, employed by the AKMS to recover the annual premium due to him by the subscribers to condone it the Company "WORK"

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
great finds Miss G, we go to France and Spain fairly often , we tend to drive and the temptation to buy everything that "fits in the Scenic" is sometimes too much to resist...I love the clock, you should be able to slow it down by adjusting the regulator.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
great finds Miss G, we go to France and Spain fairly often , we tend to drive and the temptation to buy everything that "fits in the Scenic" is sometimes too much to resist...I love the clock, you should be able to slow it down by adjusting the regulator.

Thank you! Believe me if I was driving a Scenic to France I would have it full to bursting point with antiques on my return!

About adjusting the regulator - sorry, but what exactly is a regulator?! What would I need to do? It's a great clock but completely runs away with itself - it runs around two hours fast.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here you go http://www.ian-partridge.co.uk/platform.htm ....if your not sure best take it to a decent clock repairer, however setting the regulator is pretty easy... if it's running fast move the lever a tiny amount towards the S-slow or R-retard as it's a French clock and it has a French movement?.....a close up clear picture inside the back would help.

We've brought all sorts back in the Scenics we've had over the years certainly the best car to travel to Southern Spain via France IMHO...current one is an 06 plate 1.9 turbo diesel that returns 52mpg no matter how it's driven on the autovias...the car boots in Spain and vide greniers in France run rings around our car boots over here.

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
As I'm really not sure what I'm doing here are two photos of the inside of the clock - is the lever you are talking about the one at the top? Would I move it to the centre or more to the left?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
That long steel lever at the top is the regulator. If you put it one way, it tightens the hairspring. That causes the spring to make the balance-wheel spin faster - that speeds up time.

If you push the regulator the other way, it releases tension on the hairspring. The balance will swing slower, and the clock will slow down.

It's a matter of pushing it back and forth and testing it regularly to get the best average time between all the variables of hairspring tension, and mainspring tension.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Shangas & Esteban68 - thank you both for your help - I'm going to give it a go and see how I get on - usually the clock ends up around two hours too fast so hopefully with a little tweak it will keep better time.

I have another clock in our kitchen that usually runs around 10 minutes fast - I might take a look at that too and see if I can improve on it's timekeeping!

Thank you again!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It requires patience. With such a LONG regulator arm, the smallest movement at the end will result in significant time-differences. So as Esteban says, move it as SPARINGLY as possible.

Your clock has "S F A R". That's "Slow/Fast, or Advance/Retard", indicating which direction the needle should be pushed, to speed or slow down the clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails