Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Bakelite desk lamp from the scrapyard. Cleaned and repaired, as good as new.
945721_549208985114171_123805055_n.jpg

mikepara

Practically Family
I just love vintage civil aeronautica. It's a B.O.A.C long service pin (not sure how many years!). Also a Compact with the famous Speedbird logo.
591298552_tp.jpg 591298558_tp.jpg $T2eC16J,!zEE9s3!(I!RBRc-jj3elw~~60_35.JPG

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm always on the lookout for any old desktop nicknacks.

Finding a modern one of these is hard enough. So imagine my surprise when I found an antique one!

A solid brass antique bill-spike :)

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
If you're talking about that bill spike, be sure to leave it on the desk top. My Dad once sorted his bills on the couch and later impaled himself when he sat on the bill spike. The thought of it still makes my flesh crawl.:eeek:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
*winces*

That's gotta be painful!

I have a bad-ish habit of writing stuff down on lots of little bits of notepaper and post-its and everything, and leaving them all over the place. Dates, appointments, phone-numbers and such.

I've been after a nice bill-spike for a while, so that I had one central place to just harpoon all my paper onto and find it easily. When I saw that for just a few bucks, I grabbed it. the good thing is that it has a solid metal base, so it's not going to tip over or shift around on my desk. It's heavy enough not to move or lift up when I stick down/pull up a particular piece of paper.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Yesterday was a good day at the garage sales - lots of good stuff for five bucks or less...

Nice Electrolux, $5.00 - it's got a few dents but it works great. No attachments, but the attachments from our old vacuum will fit it.
Electrolux.JPG

Five unused copper pans, $5.00 for the lot.
CopperPans.JPG

Antique gold-filled eyeglasses, $5.00. Simple magnifying lenses, so I can use them as is for reading glasses.
Glasses.JPG

Royal Doulton Bunnykins bowl, $1.00 - It has a chip on the edge, but my granddaughter will still love it and for a buck, it's no great loss if she breaks it.
BunnykinsBowl.JPG

Also picked up a pristine Singer 99 for $5.00. I had one already, but this one is in better condition. It also came with a box full of attachments, some of which I've never seen before and have no idea what they're for. I'll post them in the sewing machine thread and see if anyone can identify them.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Almost forgot this vintage Baldor grinder ($5.00) because it went directly to my workbench. Weighs a ton, really powerful and runs nearly silently with not a hint of vibration. I hate to spout a cliche, but they don't make 'em like that no more.

BaldorGrinder.jpg

mikepara

Practically Family
Speaking of aviation...heres a 1940/50's Marx toy DC4
Its made of pressed steel and still has the Pan Am decals..although this toy has seen better days
I think its pretty cool and I am going to hang it in my office (I work in aviation)
panam1_zpsec0423d9.jpg

WOW! Superb. I know this was from way back but I had to comment. I love it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
CopperPans.JPG

Antique gold-filled eyeglasses, $5.00. Simple magnifying lenses, so I can use them as is for reading glasses.
Glasses.JPG

Also picked up a pristine Singer 99 for $5.00. I had one already, but this one is in better condition. It also came with a box full of attachments, some of which I've never seen before and have no idea what they're for. I'll post them in the sewing machine thread and see if anyone can identify them.

I love the pans and the spectacles.

I daresay someone will recognise the bits and pieces.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Yesterday was a good day at the garage sales - lots of good stuff for five bucks or less...

Nice Electrolux, $5.00 - it's got a few dents but it works great. No attachments, but the attachments from our old vacuum will fit it.

Glasses.JPG

Royal Doulton Bunnykins bowl, $1.00 - It has a chip on the edge, but my granddaughter will still love it and for a buck, it's no great loss if she breaks it.

It looks like german WWII. dienstbrille :)

$2.00 Yard Sale Find
1929-32 vintage Du-More Ice Cuber made by Joseph A. Martocello & Company of Philadelphia. You filled the tank with hot water and then placed the device on top of a block of ice. The heat would cut into the ice and, wellah! Ice cubes!

1116243_189406874568312_1385310473_o.jpg

793714_189406821234984_2084999621_o.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy