Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I went to the local antiques center intent on purchasing a beautiful antique typewriter. And would've done so, had a last-minute check not revealed a missing type-slug.

Ho Hum.

An acquaintance at the same shop (who apparently has a lot of these old typewriters) has agreed to keep me in mind if she stumbles across another.

All was not lost. I got a good walk out of it and burnt off a few calories. And on the way home, I passed the house of a little old lady who was doing some house-cleaning. Literally a little old lady - she was about 4'6".

She was throwing out all this junk in her house. And amongst the junk was a lot of old scrapwood from furniture and bookcases and suchlike. I was carrying my little folding luggage-trolley with me when I was passing (I had it with me to bring home the typewriter which I didn't end up buying), and stopped to have a look.

Folding-luggage-cart-Truck-Tug-Car-Black-2-pieces-lot.jpg

This is my little folding luggage-trolley. I've had it for years. It's like my own little metallic mule - it carries anything so long as it doesn't fall off! I've not tested the weight-limit of it yet, but it'll comfortably carry several pounds of stuff without any complaints at all.

Back to the little old lady...

She said it was all junk that she was getting rid of. Take whatever you want, she says.

So I loaded the trolley with about 2/3 of the old lumber and scrapwood that she had there (the rest was too big for me to carry comfortably) and wheeled home a couple of kilograms of free firewood!! I feel better knowing that I helped a little old lady relieve some of the burden of what was lying around her house.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Punctuation is the difference between King Charles walking and talking ten minutes after his head was cut off, and King Charles walking and talking, ten minutes after, his head was cut off.

rjb1

Practically Family
I think the point was that some punctuation errors can be funny, not that he was trying to be insulting or critical.
Try this one:
Let eat, granny.
or
Let's eat granny.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
suit15.jpg suit16.jpg suit2.jpg suit18.jpg Three months ago I purchased my holy grail of 1940's suits from the states, after what seemed like eternity looking for a good condition one in my size.

Today I decided to drop by a local thrift store, to see if I could find anything, I asked the store worker if they had any old suits, he replied no, just a few old vests/ waistcoats.

He then proceeded to show me the waistcoats, well one was a sportsgirl vest and the other was from the 70's not really my thing, I thought this does not look good, so after trying to round up my two kids I decided to have a quick look at the suits, and to my sheers disbelief, in front of me was the exact same suit I purchased from the states, in as new condition, I could not believe it, made exactly by the same company Timely Clothes. It even had the union label as well.

I was so excited I did not even bother trying it on as I was looking after my to young ones, so I ended up paying wait for it...$25.00 yes in Australia for 25 bucks.. unheard of well in this neck of the woods anyway..

I raced home to try it on and it fitted like a glove, almost looks to good to be true, like it was tailor made especially for me. suit14.jpg suit9.jpg suit10.jpg suit5.jpg suit4.jpg

And here is the Union Label 12-E627E31A-1481577-800.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 2179 View attachment 2180 View attachment 2181 View attachment 2182 Three months ago I purchased my holy grail of 1940's suits from the states, after what seemed like eternity looking for a good condition one in my size.

Today I decided to drop by a local thrift store, to see if I could find anything, I asked the store worker if they had any old suits, he replied no, just a few old vests/ waistcoats.

He then proceeded to show me the waistcoats, well one was a sportsgirl vest and the other was from the 70's not really my thing, I thought this does not look good, so after trying to round up my two kids I decided to have a quick look at the suits, and to my sheers disbelief, in front of me was the exact same suit I purchased from the states, in as new condition, I could not believe it, made exactly by the same company Timely Clothes. It even had the union label as well.

I was so excited I did not even bother trying it on as I was looking after my to young ones, so I ended up paying wait for it...$25.00 yes in Australia for 25 bucks.. unheard of well in this neck of the woods anyway..

I raced home to try it on and it fitted like a glove, almost looks to good to be true, like it was tailor made especially for me. View attachment 2174 View attachment 2175 View attachment 2176 View attachment 2177 View attachment 2178

You did extremely well there. With luck like that---now go out and buy a lottery ticket. :p

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Thank you.. That's two amazing finds I have had in only a few short months, what with the tray I found not that long ago, and now this beautiful suit, I am beginning to wonder if someone is guiding me.. as it never normally happens to me.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
The gods of vintage smile at you.
Not 40s but a great 50s db that does the job.

Thanks DamianM, Must admit I am a little confused over this one, you think 1950's, I noticed on the union label there was a date of 1939.
Now not having any knowledge of these old suits, I was wondering how can you tell it's from 1950's, as I also have, the original advertising for this very suit, pointing towards the 40's.
I am not disputing you in anyway, would be nice to know a little more of how you are able to date it.
Here is the original Ad for this very suit. http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/clothes-ads-1940s/20

Thank you, I just updated the original post with union label..

Last edited:

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Forgot to mention with all the excitement of finding the suit, I also found this in Vinnies charity shop last week.

I think it's 1950's, the Akubra stylemaster, in a mocca kind of colour, size 59 and it super condition.

All it needs is a re, blocking and hopefully look ok, as you can see someone who owned it before had it in a sort of porkpie bash, hence the ring mark.

I have spoken to Akubra here and they will do a re, block and shape for 15 bucks, the hat cost me 15 so a nice hat for 30 bucks.

Not Bad here it is.. 12-E9919458-1892139-800.jpg 12-1285E340-1759367-800.jpg IMAG0218.jpg 12-ECFB4596-1161392-800.jpg 12-E7DCBBB9-1734841-800.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
Thanks DamianM, Must admit I am a little confused over this one, you think 1950's, I noticed on the union label there was a date of 1939.
Now not having any knowledge of these old suits, I was wondering how can you tell it's from 1950's, as I also have, the original advertising for this very suit, pointing towards the 40's.
I am not disputing you in anyway, would be nice to know a little more of how you are able to date it.
Here is the original Ad for this very suit. http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/clothes-ads-1940s/20

Thank you, I just updated the original post with union label..

Your right I thought the stamp inside read 1956 but the union label puts it at the 40s range. Darn it you are lucky.

You should Repost your suit on the 40s suit thread

Last edited:

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Your right I thought the stamp inside read 1956 but the union label puts it at the 40s range. Darn it you are lucky.

You should Repost your suit on the 40s suit thread

Thank you Sir, yes after I did a little more research and realised that in fact the union label was changed in 1939, and that the 1939 label was the same as the 1934 label.

Then the label as you probably know was changed again in 1949, with the illustration of a sewing machine on it.

So that takes care of this nicely.

Thanks I will be sure to repost in the 40's thread, I am off back to the charity shop today as I noticed, they had a few very early jackets as well, but just did not have the time to inspect them as I had my hands full with young ones.

Thanks again
Enjoy your day

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Been after one of these for a while, which wasn't being sold at an exorbitant and ridiculous price. People seem to think 'cause they're made of brass, they're worth their weight in gold...

I replaced the spring inside the bell and adjusted the tension. And now it rings loud and true!

The original spring was useless. I cut up one of those little steel click-springs that you find in a billion ballpoint pens. Got it to the right size and stuck it in place. Now the knob on the top jumps back to its original position, just like it should after each 'Ding!'

"Hello!? This is Betty! Service with a smile!"

0.jpg

Been getting some goodies for the new store.

In all fairness, these are eBay finds, and repros, but still kinda neat.

1044056_10151662262909330_1754103183_n.jpg

A friend of mine sent me a text this morning with a picture of these two and asked me if I wanted them, $125 for the pair. Of course, I took them, and you can see they're sitting in the shop in this photo. I plan on restoring them. He also told me the guy has a semi-trailer full of them and I can have them all if I'd like. I may just take them all for a package deal.

1044354_10151665709914330_1444708309_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1044354_10151665709914330_1444708309_n.jpg
    1044354_10151665709914330_1444708309_n.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 139

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points