Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The shears are working pretty well. They're absolutely massive.

11-1/2 inches long, with a cutting-edge of 6-1/2 inches. Solid chromed steel. There's only one mark on them. It says: "BONUM", and it's inside an oval.

There is a place in town that sharpens knives. $5.00 for a small pair of scissors/knife, and $10.00 for a large pair of scissors/knife.

If I can, I'd rather sharpen them at home and save the $10.00. I'm doing pretty good so far...

The shears are working pretty well. They're absolutely massive.

11-1/2 inches long, with a cutting-edge of 6-1/2 inches. Solid chromed steel. There's only one mark on them. It says: "BONUM", and it's inside an oval.

There is a place in town that sharpens knives. $5.00 for a small pair of scissors/knife, and $10.00 for a large pair of scissors/knife.

If I can, I'd rather sharpen them at home and save the $10.00. I'm doing pretty good so far...
That is a very large pair of shears. If you work over an hour on them then you have lost money----rather than spending the $10 and getting it done fast and professionally. :p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If I can't get them sharpened, then I'll send them out. But I'm happy with the results. They cut the whole length of the blades, but they are a bit unreliable. So they do cut, but a professional sharpener could probably get them to cut more reliably.

If I can't get them sharpened, then I'll send them out. But I'm happy with the results. They cut the whole length of the blades, but they are a bit unreliable. So they do cut, but a professional sharpener could probably get them to cut more reliably.
Well you aren't likely to use the heck out of them in the next couple of days making sport coats for the whole family so I would say leave well enough alone for now. But if you are making sport coats then I'll send you my measurements......:p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hahaha!! My sewing-skills are beginner-level. Intermediate at best. I'm sure if you left it to my grandmother, she would've sewed you up a whole suit! She was a real wizard with a Singer. She could make clothing out of anything.

My latest modest sewing-project can be found in the Attire & Accouterments board discussion "Gentlemen: Show us What You've Made". A simple pair of house-slippers :)

I'm wearing them right now. Very soft and comfortable.

Hahaha!! My sewing-skills are beginner-level. Intermediate at best. I'm sure if you left it to my grandmother, she would've sewed you up a whole suit! She was a real wizard with a Singer. She could make clothing out of anything.

My latest modest sewing-project can be found in the Attire & Accouterments board discussion "Gentlemen: Show us What You've Made". A simple pair of house-slippers :)

I'm wearing them right now. Very soft and comfortable.
Hey, slippers are as good as anything. Do they have a coat of arms embroidered on the front? :p

Today's finds from Long Beach Veterans' Stadium Flea Market.
Vintage pressed steel Mail Truck by Buddy L (circa 1960s/1970s) and diecast Hanomag SdKfz 251/22 halftrack by Dinky (circa 1970s).

9735de3a-e803-4e73-a09d-92fb7b6c5eb0_zpsa8da5f70.jpg

5be40ea0-ac76-4ffb-bc4b-29cc812c456a_zpsf3199a2b.jpg

32d44795-5564-4742-bc42-8c1dfaccc891_zps9a38eebd.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I love the gloves. And the hairbrush set. I have one that looks almost identical to that. Except mine are made by Kent, and are ebony. But they're of the same oval style and come in an identical leather case.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Giftmacher, the wife spied the 'brolly' and pointed out the stay arrangement that's why I bought it for it's beautiful engineering and that it was only a pound! it's in full working order too which is nice.

Funny you should mention that Shangas the good lady picked up an ebony set on the same car boot later on completely unused at three quid! I should have bought them and could now kick myself for not doing so :(
The gloves I am sure are Dents pecary?as I have other pairs made and finished exactly the same, these appear very lightly if ever used and fit quite well if a little snug but they may loosen up.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
We were told it was a travelling fruit knife but it does not seem sharp enough to cut orange skin? could be used as a small butter/spreading knife though....useful as she is currently putting together a 'vintage' two person picnic hamper.

earl

A-List Customer
Was a good week to hit up thrift stores AKA Goodwill to re-stock my closets a bit. Actually found a couple of things with the new tags still on them. 1 that wasn't new but in great shape was a pair of navy dress slacks I've been wanting. Amazingly hard to find that color in men's dress slacks. When I encounter a maker name I'm unfamiliar with, like to look it up on the web. I wanted certain characteristics-cuffed, pleated, soft drape and fabric. This certainly had that- a Zanella. Found out it's from an Italian maker and some men's stores with a web presence are currently selling them for 50 times what I paid for this one. No wonder I'd never heard of them as I never get into the kind of store that would stock these. Earl

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
This couch :D
And at a total bargain - Roughly $110. I told the seller i didnt even wanna bother haggling with her when the price was that reasonable.

It is in AMAZING condition. Firm cushions, only 1-2 minor scuffs on the cushions.
The upholstry is fastened with beautiful brass nails. LOVE
My only gripe is that its more green-blue than blue-green. :p I have a pastel blue bedroom with a hint of rose accesories... so this jewel tone works.

How would you date it? The style tells me early 1900s, but the mint condition throws me off a bit.

What say ye?

f8c1c79fd48a17ebbf89d26107179b82.jpg

Looks nice with my vanity table, methinks. :eusa_clap
4b7393a7673bc83962791c4963cf5a2e.jpg

Attachments

• 971689_10152861897265635_1710403642_n.jpg
    971689_10152861897265635_1710403642_n.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 453

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Giftmacher, the wife spied the 'brolly' and pointed out the stay arrangement that's why I bought it for it's beautiful engineering and that it was only a pound! it's in full working order too which is nice.

Funny you should mention that Shangas the good lady picked up an ebony set on the same car boot later on completely unused at three quid! I should have bought them and could now kick myself for not doing so :(
The gloves I am sure are Dents pecary?as I have other pairs made and finished exactly the same, these appear very lightly if ever used and fit quite well if a little snug but they may loosen up.

Yup, these weren't made for a few months like nowadays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points