Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Good morning for finds at local car boot!
All this lot for a fiver! and the sun was shining!!!
316q14w.jpg
156plki.jpg

2zstb8z.jpg
34rt3sp.jpg

2hmj0it.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I know the gloves appear unworn and lay dead flat, the travel set is definately unused and is a leather case with fabric inserts with chromed steel box lids, the links & studs box is rubbish pressed card/leatherette to be honest but I bought it primarily for the chromed steel sprung arm bands/shirt sleeve holders only to find a complete pair of MOP cufflinks in very good wearable condition and a tie slide for someone with a T in their name, it's a little worn but should scrub up ok I reckon.
cufflinks box was £1.50 with all the bits, gloves £2 and travel set £2 so £5.50 in total but bargained her down to a fiver....winner, winner chicken dinner!

MarkJohn

One of the Regulars
Very nice bargain esteban68 :eusa_clap - I must start going to car boots again; avoided them for years as my wife ends up buying too much junk :eek:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Those cheap cardboard thingies are useless. I wanted to buy one once, but it was so flimsy it nearly fell apart in my hand the moment I picked it up. I love those chrome steel sleeve-garters. They're just snappy :)

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
I had the find of my lifetime over the weekend, was searching through gumtree with the search 1940's and I noticed a person here in Sydney, was having a garage sale, with some vintage 40's clothing.
After noticing it was day two of a two day sale, I thought most if not all would have gone, and that was indeed the case, apart from a few ladies clothes all the best men's clothing had gone.
I was asked was I a collector and replied I just like wearing that period clothing, she went onto say what else was I interested in and I said I collect silver.
Ten minutes later she came back and said I have this rather large tray that you may like, it was so tarnished from years of no cleaning that I could hardly make out if it was silver or silver plated, she said if I was interested she said she would be happy with five dollars for it, so I thought why not, five dollars is worth a gamble.
When I returned home I decided it was a good time for a good clean, the tray that is, and to my surprise I found out it was stamped sterling silver, and had a Sydney retailers name on it.
After a further search I found out it was made by no other than W J Sanders here in Sydney, and that where my search took me to today to authenticate it. The head of Sanders was amazed at my find and indeed agreed it was made by them, but there was one more thing I did not tell you, the tray was by no means small, it weighs in at a whopping 2.6 kilos of sterling silver, and according to Sanders highly collectible, and worth quite a bit.
I have been collecting pretty much all my life, and this is by far the greatest ever find, I am so excited as it has come at a time in our lifes that a little extra would help enormously.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You bought two and a half kilos of STERLING SILVER for FIVE DOLLARS?

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Lounge, may I present the Thrift-Shop and Flea-Market Find winner for 2013. RagandBoneMan, please step forward for the prize of a gold top hat.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
tray.jpg tray 2.jpg tray3.jpg
You bought two and a half kilos of STERLING SILVER for FIVE DOLLARS?

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Lounge, may I present the Thrift-Shop and Flea-Market Find winner for 2013. RagandBoneMan, please step forward for the prize of a gold top hat.
Shangas.. mate I am as blown away by it as you are, I still cannot believe for the life of me that this tray sat there for a whole day without anyone noticing it.
It's something to tell my kids that's for sure, I will upload some pictures of it soon. But in the meantime, I have been asked by WJ Sanders if I want it professionally restored/ cleaned, so I am going to go ahead and take them up on there offer. I am sure it will make it more appealing to the collectors when I come to sell it.

Here you go images of the tray, plus its dimensions are 24 inches long by 14 inches wide so it's a very big tray.

Last edited:

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
What an incredible find and bargain [and great looking piece]... you'll be floating on air for days.

Thank you Sir, Indeed it is a great looking piece, although not to fancy in regards to detail with it's simple border, it more than makes up for it in it's size and weight.
When I purchased it I happened to be with my brother, who had actually been staying with me here for three months on a visit from the UK, I told him if it was indeed a genuine sterling silver tray, that I would share the profits with him, when I sell it, and until now he knows nothing about it, I am just about to break the news to him via Skype.
I think he is going to be very happy, as he needs to return to Australia, and was worried that he may not be a able to muster up the flight money, as quickly as he needed it. So hopefully if all goes to plan I can get this restored, and sold to a collector to enable him to return a bit sooner.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Rag&BoneMan that tray is just stunning. I say it's definitely worth the professional scrub-up.

Did a Jeeves come along with it? I think to own a tray like that, you require a dapper English valet with an encyclopedic knowledge of absolutely everything.

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
No, Jeeves, or Alfred, but it was made by an English man right here in Sydney. I am trying my hardest to try and track down some of there early works but to no avail, most of it seems to be in museums.
Looks like I will have to get that clean and hopefully they can give me a true valuation, and some provenance so that it make s it more appealing to the collector.

No, Jeeves, or Alfred, but it was made by an English man right here in Sydney. I am trying my hardest to try and track down some of there early works but to no avail, most of it seems to be in museums.
Looks like I will have to get that clean and hopefully they can give me a true valuation, and some provenance so that it make s it more appealing to the collector.

Provenance would be really excellent if you can get it. In the meantime, at least get a certificate of authenticity saying it is what it says it is and any other pertinent information a high dollar collectable might need to asure the most value for the item.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hahahaha!!

My thrift-shop scores for yesterday:

1. Glass dip-pen. $1.00.
2. Tailor's point-shears. Steel. $0.00.

I'm currently trying to sharpen the shears at home. So far, so good. I can get them to cut all the way through a single layer of fabric, but not two or three layers...

Hahahaha!!

My thrift-shop scores for yesterday:

1. Glass dip-pen. $1.00.
2. Tailor's point-shears. Steel. $0.00.

I'm currently trying to sharpen the shears at home. So far, so good. I can get them to cut all the way through a single layer of fabric, but not two or three layers...

Now you know why there was a burgeoning market for sharpening scissors, knives and other such things back in the day when you didn't just throw soemthing away----you fixed what was wrong with it. :p There are still some places around here that will sharpen scissors and knives----for less than I would charge if I did it. :p

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
Provenance would be really excellent if you can get it. In the meantime, at least get a certificate of authenticity saying it is what it says it is and any other pertinent information a high dollar collectable might need to asure the most value for the item.

Absolutely, I will endeavour to make sure this finds it's rightful place and hopefully make a few bucks in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy