Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Was unable to get away from the family home to attend this weekend's Stanton Phonograph auction, but left a few low ball bids, and have been told that I have one these items for a paltry sum:

Brunswick BR-160, a very early (1924) radio-phonograph combination fitted with a Radiola Super-Hetrodyne and the universal "Ultona" reproducer which plays all formats of disc records rather well indeed. A nice complete set with good tubes and an RCA Uni-Rectron power amplifier:

A "Radio Adaptable" Victrola 405S, another 1924 model, fitted by the dealer with a Freed-Eisemann radio, with a Western Electric loudspeaker unit:

An Orthophonic Victrola 7-11, a rather odd 1928 combination fitted with a Radiola 18 light -socket radio receiver and a spring driven phonograph, with a mechanism and horn taken from the Victor Orthophonic Portable.

Orthophonic Victrola Granada, an early Orthophonic dating from December or January of 1925:

Little Victrola 210, a late console, fitted with a Work-rite radio receiver. Certainly worth $25.00!

Victrola VV 7-3, a 1926 vintage combination, nice, complete machine with good tubes and a Philco Socket Power unit.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

A nice Radiola 60 with a rather scarce Ansonia loudspeaker, and a full set of globe tubes:

A rare Macey Sectional Diamond Disc record cabinet:

Edison cylinder shaver:

Another Edison C-10 "Chippendale Laboratory Model"

and a nice little Amberola 75:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
A Gatsby girl I found at a yard sale this week...

gatsbygirl_zps169dff4c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today I bought some DVDs, two keys for my Gladstone bag (yay!), and an antique oil-bottle.

The guy I bought it from reckoned it was for sewing-machines or typewriters, but from the research I did on Google, I think it's actually for firearms. But either way, once all the dried, caked oil inside the bottle has been shaken out with my ultrasonic cleaner, I'll fill it up with sewing-machine oil, and use it in my restoration-projects.

Here's the bottle:

There is a little steel 'feather' stuck into the cap, for dipping and dripping.

When I bought the bottle, all the old oil had dried up inside it and crusted onto the bottom and sides of the interior. It looked like one of those brown glass beer-bottles...except that you couldn't see through it, and it wasn't translucent.

After probably a dozen runs through my ultrasonic cleaner with boiling hot water and soap, I managed to loosen up the majority of the gunk. The rest of it was removed with cotton-buds and repeated water-shakings.

While at the flea-market today, apart from the bottle, I also saw this ancient Blickensderfer three-bank 'portable', I suppose...typewriter:

The lady at the stall wanted $600AUD for it. Amazingly, someone actually paid that much!

I took a trip to a major antiques wholesaler today. Here's some of the things I saw...

Cute little antique transverse-shuttle German sewing-machine.

Record-player.

Remington 11 Standard Typewriter.

Eh...Something. I think it's a mimeograph machine or something similar.

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Don't you just love car boots, here's yesterday's finds all for less than a fiver, leather bag, Fox 'Paragon' umbrella and a unknown maker pewter coffe pot;
chyye.jpg

The bag and 'brolly' have more photos on relevant threads but here's a few of the coffee pot;
345lyet.jpg
qwy8o6.jpg

314auqs.jpg
23hahqo.jpg

6rrk8g.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I took a trip to a major antiques wholesaler today. Here's some of the things I saw...

Record-player.

Those Columbia Plano-Reflex Viva-Tonal portables are fine machines. The motors are first-rate, the build quality is excellent and after the reproducer is rebuilt they will reproduce records very well indeed. Better than most large cabinet machines, in point of facr.

DNO

One Too Many
Nice pewter jug, estaban. Love hammered pewter. Looks like it has Arts and Crafts elements combined with an overall Victorian design and handle!

DNO

One Too Many
It's time again for the spring church rummage sales. Some finds from Saturday:

A 1914 copy of a Crisco cookbook.

Screenshot2013-04-30at112113AM_zps82482032.png

A Second World War vintage Canadian Army pith helmet (worn while training in Canada).

Screenshot2013-04-30at112041AM_zps4e6452b9.png

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I found this for a buck at the Catholic rummage sale last weekend. To be honest with you I didn't know what I'd found until I googled "Cooper A-2" just now. It seems I've stumbled upon a coveted flight jacket. Viva rummage sales!

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Kahuna,

I found this for a buck at the Catholic rummage sale last weekend. To be honest with you I didn't know what I'd found until I googled "Cooper A-2" just now. It seems I've stumbled upon a coveted flight jacket. Viva rummage sales.

Damn! For a buck? Leather? My A-1 jacket (fur collar) cost me $500 bucks. These jackets in leather ain't cheap by any means You gotta a deal!

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Damn! For a buck? Leather? My A-1 jacket (fur collar) cost me $500 bucks. These jackets in leather ain't cheap by any means You gotta a deal!

I'm a tightwad, partly by nature & partly by necessity, so I was on the lookout for a nice leather jacket below $25 or so. I was a little surprised when I asked them the price at checkout and they said a dollar. Taken!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
DNO 'Arts & Crafts' is my absolute favourite period though Deco comes a close second, I guess being a time served engineering apprentice gives me a feel for well made and designed items if it's hand crafted even better( I think it was factory made in the A&C style though TBH)...................I just love charity shops and car boots! as Tony the tiger used to say " They're grrrrrrrreat"
Nice pewter jug, estaban. Love hammered pewter. Looks like it has Arts and Crafts elements combined with an overall Victorian design and handle!

Last edited:
Today's estate sale finds:
I've been able to tentatively identify the young woman in the picture as Laverne Stevens of Santa Ana, CA. The estate sale where I found it was that of her sister.

c45e7b8f-3307-4edd-972d-bb816c82d13b_zpsf6bedeab.jpg

1980cb79-ec45-4c58-9476-c66bb6d3f3ca_zps71c49f38.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk