Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Picked up a stack of 30-some old issues of Collier's magazine, dating from the 1940s and '50s, with most of them from the WWII period. As might be expected, much of the editorial content and advertising is devoted to the war effort.

They ain't in bad condition at all, considering their age. Paid 15 bucks for the stack.

Picked up a stack of 30-some old issues of Collier's magazine, dating from the 1940s and '50s, with most of them from the WWII period. As might be expected, much of the editorial content and advertising is devoted to the war effort.

They ain't in bad condition at all, considering their age. Paid 15 bucks for the stack.
Nice find! I would have put out $15 for that. :D

Nice find! I would have put out $15 for that. :D

Thanks.

Much as my avaricious little heart likes having things for my very own, it is also true that I am motivated in some part by a desire to preserve these old things (especially the more ephemeral stuff) for future generations, and, in this case, to save them from the people who would cut them up just to sell the individual advertisements on eBay.

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
Today I purchased a pair of very nice vintage dessert plates/bowls...dishes...whatever! They're small, oval and they have "VICTORIAN RAILWAYS" on them. I think they're from the 1930s. Victorian Railways lasted from 1859-1983.

Here's a few pictures:

About 6.5in. across, 5in. wide, about 1/2in. deep.

Both dishes are stamped and punched with numbers, which I suspect are manufacturing dates...

If that's the case, they come from September, 1933, and June, 1935, respectively.

Your guess is as good as mine, as to what they really are, but I suspect dessert plates or snack-plates or something, used on the dining-cars of the state railway company back in the early 1900s.

That's a beautiful plate! Great find!

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
Bialaddin 300x lantern & a Primus No.5S stove. Bought the stove almost entirely for the trivet ring and original windshield but it's a better example cosmetically than the one I already have, so I'll probably keep it.

IMG_0108.jpg

Thanks.

Much as my avaricious little heart likes having things for my very own, it is also true that I am motivated in some part by a desire to preserve these old things (especially the more ephemeral stuff) for future generations, and, in this case, to save them from the people who would cut them up just to sell the individual advertisements on eBay.
Cut them up?! :faint:

1930artdeco

Practically Family
The ebay fairy delivered again....

I bid on these just in the off chance that they actually fit as the listed dimensions said they should. I was not expecting them too as these tend to run narrow and small. Well they came in today and of course I had to try them on and low and behold they fit! They need a total resto but they fit and are cool looking to boot. They will compliment my cavalry jodhpurs perfectly. IMG_0037.jpg

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
True. I wonder the tales that a lot of my vintage purchases could tell if only they could speak. There's a very long established company on the outskirts of Belfast which has supplied survival equipment for ships/aircraft for generations. It might have fallen out the backdoor of their premises at some point. Worth the three quid I paid anyway.

Also bought a second hand but never used Zippo in the black crackle finish. Modern pattern Zippo though.

Edit:- By the way, you'll only ever light a smoke with a lifeboat match once!

Last edited:

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I often think the same DS, great match container...I wonder who made it, I have a Cussons 'Chubby' shaving soap container that's not too disimilar...
here's today's finds all for a tenner!!!
2h864i1.jpg

2wo91c9.jpg
2rcle8m.jpg

qqo4sw.jpg
2evcj06.jpg

The hat is a Christie's 'Sportsman' retailed locally, sadly it's too small for me as per usual...almost mint though.
The knives are only EPNS but the good lady thought they'd be ideal for our annual homemade(by my fair hands) pate' that we have as a starter for Christmas lunch and they've cleaned up as new.

The picture frames are I guess 30's? and we thought there was just one photo but on taking them apart another picture appeared of a young cyclist and vintage cycles and cycling are my thing....winner! also cleaned up nice but will need 3 new pieces of glass as only one original glass with bevelled edges is present all the others appear to be replacements?

The collar box is generally in good nick just needing a new strap and retaining strip sewing on which is an easy job.

Not sure how old the picnic table is but it is very well made, the top I think is a late 60's replacement? it states 'foreign' underneath which usually means 'German'?

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Not at all, I think I'll change the top for something more in keeping with it's age 50's? although the formica is probably more useful.
We used the table tonight to put all the extras on that wouldn't fit on the table when we ate our 'tea' outside, also will be useful for taking photos outside so all-round winner there for £2!

I've thought a time or two about getting a wind up gramophone but it would have to be a 'trench' portable model as one of those would fit nicely in the living room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails