Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Dragon Soldier

One of the Regulars
I'm after a set of campaign furniture, I'm getting a bit old for the runny-around elements of living history, so I've a notion about setting up an Officer's Billet display... Tent, safari bed, trunk, campaign furniture set, mess silver, pink gins in the sunshine kind of thing.

I've two of the portable gramophones, a 1920s Fullotone and a slightly later Decca. The Decca gets a fair bit of use.

MissMittens

One Too Many
Picked this up just this evening at the thrift store by my house. :)

1149478_196352280540438_45826301_o.jpg

Very well done :)

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Mike,

Thought I would post here as well. Anyone have any info this type of magnavox or where to get any info?

Go on the web and search for local radio clubs and ham operator clubs there in SoCal. I'm sure Oakland is full of Navy oldtimers who were or are radio guys and would know where to find someone with the expertise you need. Join a radio club there. Also, if you're up to it, you could take on the job yourself as I have given thought to doing that and there are tutorials on the web about how to fix old radios. If you have any tech skills you could have a good time with it.

http://antiqueradio.org/welcome.htm
http://antiqueradio.org/begin.htm

Warbaby

One Too Many
This was a good week for finds for me, as well. I got a killer semi-vintage hawaiian shirt with some of the best pattern-matching I've ever seen - not only the pocket match, but the entire front closure. And coconut buttons, of course. $2.99

HawaiianUnderwater.jpg

Little (sz 52) fuzzy Wegener dressage hat. Totally useless for me but worth five bucks just because its cool.

Hat_Dressage2cr.jpg

And last but not least, a nifty vintage machine age drafting table lamp for $3.99

DraftingTableLampCR.jpg

DNO

One Too Many
This one really amazed me. My wife found this in a local thrift shop mixed in with the women's straw hats. It's a pre-WW2 officer's patrol dress forage cap complete with all the insignia for the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals, including the original gilt and silver cap badge. It is, in addition, mint...no mothing, no damage at all. Amazing, and all for the tidy sum of $4.50! If only these things could talk.

This one really amazed me. My wife found this in a local thrift shop mixed in with the women's straw hats. It's a pre-WW2 officer's patrol dress forage cap complete with all the insignia for the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals, including the original gilt and silver cap badge. It is, in addition, mint...no mothing, no damage at all. Amazing, and all for the tidy sum of $4.50! If only these things could talk.

Holy Crimony! You hit the jackpot!

DNO

One Too Many
Holy Crimony! You hit the jackpot!

The things you can find in thrift shops can really be amazing, JP. (As anyone who follows this thread knows!)

I looked around to see if the rest of the uniform was in the store (pushing my luck, of course). No dice.

Still, can't complain.

Found some really nice 30s/40s scarves this week as well. I'll post them on the scarf thread when I've had a chance to iron some of the creases.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
there's some corrosion to one of the aluminium scales which may come out and it's popped a rivet which should be an easy fix?
4g4yt0.jpg
2vl4hhy.jpg

24e6cnk.jpg

The spoon and fork appear to be stainless steel and the blade is carbon steel with a great edge to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails