Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Went back to the estate sale today and found these.

1240020_207767206065612_1758268126_n.jpg

561503_207767286065604_156519632_n.jpg

601757_207768562732143_1915872560_n.jpg
I have one of those Hamms openers. They polish up nicely with wenol. :D

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Behold my latest find, and latest restoration/fixer-upper project. Craziest story behind this thing.

Yesterday, I went to a HUGE antiques center. A gigantic warehouse packed to the rafters with antiques. And I found an Underwood Standard 5. For $160. It wasn't in as good condition as this one in some respects, and in others, was better. But I couldn't convince myself to buy it, because there were issues with that machine that I wasn't sure I could fix.

Today, I went to my local flea-market, and I found THIS for sale. I haggled it down, and got it for just $100. It is perfectly mechanically sound. But it needs a damn good cleaning, replacement rubber, and it needs to have the spacebar repaired.

Some parts have frozen up with age, and gunk. But nothing appears to be broken on here that I can't fix.

This ought to be fun!

Near as I can date, it's 1927. So it's a Roaring Twenties Typewriter :)

And now my baby Underwood has a big brother to play with!

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thank you.

I'm currently trying to track down sources for rubber to replace the central platen. Not sure how easy this is gonna be.

Since taking those photos, I've glued the spacebar together and braced or clamped it, until the glue dries. We'll see what the end result is in the morning.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My latest purchase. Remember, kids: brush before, during, and after each meal!

And yes, I have actual toothpaste in there. I'm sick of wrestling around with a tube.

Along with my other vintage bathroom accessories:

Razors. One from Sheffield (Joseph Rodgers & Sons), one from Solingen.
Razor-stone.
Scuttle. Soap.
Shaving brush. Badger-hair.
1930s ebony "military issue" hairbrushes by Kent of London. Original leather case.
Murray's Pomade (est. 1925). Has a lovely scent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn