Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks James. The two soild silver belts are not flea-market finds, however. They are family heirlooms which I inherited from my much-beloved grandmother :D I therefore naturally consider them priceless!!

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
For quite a while we have been wanting some mid-century saucer floor lamps to be age appropriate with our 1947 house. But ones in nice condition always seemed to be about $100 or more each so we learned to live with our perfectly functional but lacking style Walmart lamps. This morning while we were out yard saleing I spotted this pair and latched onto them while my wife went to negotiate with the woman who was taking the money. My jaw nearly hit the floor when my wife asked how much she wanted and she replied, "How about five dollars for the both of them?" SOLD!!! Talk about a motivated seller! I'm chuffed to find these as they are perfect for our living room.

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I hate floor-lamps. I keep knocking the damn things over. But those look pretty! That said, I think I like the chairs more.

Thanks. The only problem with the chairs is they're too darn comfortable. I kick back with a book in one of them and I'm out like a light. No wonder it takes me so long to get through a book!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
10615603_1495663277358820_7868669410367648956_n.jpg

Four-piece brass desk-set/inkstand. Two candleholders, inkwell, pen-rest. Dated to the 1900s-1920s according to the seller. Bought it today at the local flea-market.

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
I was at a flea market a few years back, where a man was selling old model planes and war memorabilia. On the ground in front of his trailer, were three rumpled black wool suits. At the time, I wasn't very knowledgeable of Evening Wear, but I did need a black suit for my orchestra. The vendor stated that they belonged to a musician, and was told that he had them made in the late 1930s. I tried on the sole Dinner Coat, and was told that it fit perfectly, so I bought the Tuxedo, but left the two sets of tails behind (my folks thought that I wouldn't ever need them; I remind myself that the faille lapels were ripped and that there may have been holes, but I'm sure that they could have been repaired). The guy was charging $16.00, but after some intense haggling, I purchased it at $4.00 (again, for the very low price, I should've just bought the Tails, and they probably would have fit me). Later, after it was cleaned (I'm astonished that the faille lapels survived; they typically are ripped to shreds), I tried it on; to my surprise the pants fit PERFECTLY (we're talking about a size 27x33), but to my "horror" (I wasn't knowledgeable about the 1930s cut), it had HUGE shoulders, a very tailored waist, very WIDE faille (why would they put a ribbon-like fabric on a Tux, I thought) lapels and ONLY 4 BUTTONS on a Double-Breasted (again, the only coat that I had was a modern Lands' End blazer, I thought that the trim was supposed to be satin, and I didn't know that Tuxedos could be Double Breasted). But I kept it because it was warm and was very comfortable (hmm, these high armholes are also pretty nice for playing the viola) and was told that it was a wonderful suit. After watching some 1930s film, I realized that it was indeed a vintage Tuxedo, and was more correct than what I originally believed.

Not bad for a first suit (after my kid-sized suits when I was much younger, that is).

-Quetzal

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Nice desk set Shangas!.....I've been driving around Spain for the last month saw some great things and managed to find these unused items on a local car boot;
w1sjkj.jpg
2yx0njc.jpg

2rrpahh.jpg
jza4va.jpg

rtoz9y.jpg
fx9ge8.jpg

The bulbs are all unused, I might give it a whirl with an old camera I have?

DNO

One Too Many
Found a lovely old silverware chest at a thrift shop today. Last thing I needed, but who could resist that graphic on the lid! It's more of a cream colour than the photos show.

It's in great shape. I suspect it's thirties or possibly forties.

For quite a while we have been wanting some mid-century saucer floor lamps to be age appropriate with our 1947 house. But ones in nice condition always seemed to be about $100 or more each so we learned to live with our perfectly functional but lacking style Walmart lamps. This morning while we were out yard saleing I spotted this pair and latched onto them while my wife went to negotiate with the woman who was taking the money. My jaw nearly hit the floor when my wife asked how much she wanted and she replied, "How about five dollars for the both of them?" SOLD!!! Talk about a motivated seller! I'm chuffed to find these as they are perfect for our living room. ...

Wow. And they're the real deal, not repros? Great deal either way. I got a five-dollar lamp here that might well be marked at something north of $100 in certain places. I've had it a few years now and it still tickles me to recall how little I paid for it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Today at the local flea-market.

10580223_1501416113450203_2889944981314826622_n.jpg

10712964_1501415430116938_3663472401487974198_n.jpg

15788_1501415260116955_1490883240371318310_n.jpg

Fully functional alarm-trigger strongbox. Ca. 1930. The tray is removable and there's extra storage underneath (as well as access to the alarm mechanism, to wind it up).

An uncle of mine has an identical one:

10635797_1501407796784368_7750814656860111390_n.jpg

But I don't think his one is functional like mine.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oh. Someone finally noticed!

Thanks.

I've lubricated it, cleaned it and then I also put some of my own gold and silver inside it.

10635902_1502306043361210_2634916618299438794_n.jpg

Stuff I've bought, been gifted, or inherited. All solid gold or silver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred