Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I got a bag of junk for $2.

Out of it, I got four working padlocks and keys.

Two padlocks are of no real importance or interest.

One padlock is an old Czech warded padlock with a pair of matching keys. Handy thing. Might use it one day. A nice solid vintage padlock.

The other padlock is an 1895 antique Miller, 3-lever padlock made in Philly, USA. It's very small, and very cute...

10574363_1505894076335740_3616750337694868435_n.jpg

...but it only has one key.

Fortunately, I found a locksmith in town who has the skills to cut duplicates of antique keys! So I sent it to him and he's agreed to work his magic and I'll have a lock and double-key set in a few days' time.

I got a bag of junk for $2.

Out of it, I got four working padlocks and keys.

Two padlocks are of no real importance or interest.

One padlock is an old Czech warded padlock with a pair of matching keys. Handy thing. Might use it one day. A nice solid vintage padlock.

The other padlock is an 1895 antique Miller, 3-lever padlock made in Philly, USA. It's very small, and very cute...

10574363_1505894076335740_3616750337694868435_n.jpg

...but it only has one key.

Fortunately, I found a locksmith in town who has the skills to cut duplicates of antique keys! So I sent it to him and he's agreed to work his magic and I'll have a lock and double-key set in a few days' time.

Nice Padlock. I see them once in a while out here---with keys is something else though. :p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I didn't know what to expect when I found it. I just thought it was cute.

Once I have the second key cut, I'll be using it on my display cabinet.

Antique padlock to keep antiques safe! Can't beat that.

When I took it to the locksmith, they were very interested in it. They started asking me where I found it and how old it was and how much I paid and everything. They thought it was really cute, and should be easy enough to cut a spare key. :)

Bugguy

Practically Family
IMG_0707.JPG

I just picked up a matched pair of these spotlights at the Nashville flea market for a very reasonable price. I was told they were off a fire truck... wrong. Turns out they were manufactured in Cincinnati in 1941 by Carlisle & Finch located about a mile from my home.

Carlisle & Finch made the first carbon arc searchlights in 1894 and are still in business. I took a ride and met with their historian. He pulled out the original sales ledger and we determined that they were sold on January 9, 1941 to the publisher of the Columbus (OH) Dispatch, Robert Wolfe, and installed on his yacht the Sea Wolf. Later in 1941 he sold it to the Navy where it served as a mine sweeper and a tender for the presidential yachts.

It was built in 1926 and is currently moored in Virginia with a $1.2 million price tag.

4426947_20130810120911615_1_XLARGE.jpg

A pretty far cry from a fire truck. But a Nashville flea market?? C & F have expressed interest in taking the pair off my hands - what a journey they've made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925