Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Yep sad but true JP the other week whilst taking some rubbish to the local dump I saw an old drawer full of old black and white photos and they wouldn't let me save them just threw them in the skip as nothing can go out anymore!

:eeek: :faint: That is nuts! It was just garbage to them!
I know I can save stuff like that here. Once it goes to the curb it is fair game. :p

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I know so sad, they used to let you buy things when the council owned and ran it, as soon as it was put out to tender and private enterprise took over that all stopped, like they couldn't be bothered although I have it on very good authority that some stuff ie antiques and collectables are saved in a haphazard way and sold at £500 per container to a few local dealers, though it's obvious that they've no idea as old petrol lawnmowers and sit up and beg 3 speed bicycles get scrapped as do old leaded windows and obviously photographs!...enough to make you cry!

although I have it on very good authority that some stuff ie antiques and collectables are saved in a haphazard way and sold at £500 per container to a few local dealers

That also sounds a bit like many estate sales these days. They'll advertise some fantastic treasures but when the doors open everything looks like it's already been picked over even when you're first in line. That's because the day before organisers of the estate sale will often have a private presale just for their friends, fellow dealers on their mailing list. And to become a "friend" often means paying to be on that mailing list. :mad:

Last edited:
This past weekend's finds. Went to a collectibles show where I found all this. Unfortunately there really wasn't much else to be had there this time. I know one of the authors of the Japanese Special Naval Landing Forces book and the guy on the cover wearing the pith helmet. :p

10648871_370415843134080_6986509578771023128_o.jpg

10306748_370415919800739_7993311923443016401_n.jpg

I know so sad, they used to let you buy things when the council owned and ran it, as soon as it was put out to tender and private enterprise took over that all stopped, like they couldn't be bothered although I have it on very good authority that some stuff ie antiques and collectables are saved in a haphazard way and sold at £500 per container to a few local dealers, though it's obvious that they've no idea as old petrol lawnmowers and sit up and beg 3 speed bicycles get scrapped as do old leaded windows and obviously photographs!...enough to make you cry!

I don't know who is more responsible at that stage---the people who throw it away who don't know any better or the garbage companies who can't tell trash from treasure. :doh:

That also sounds a bit like many estate sales these days. They'll advertise some fantastic treasures but when the doors open everything looks like it's already been picked over even when you're first in line. That's because the day before organisers of the estate sale will often have a private presale just for their friends, fellow dealers on their mailing list. And to become a "friend" often means paying to be on that mailing list. :mad:

I know those lists exist here as well. I put my name on them but never get anything.....then again, I don't give them money either. :p

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
This isn't super vintage but they don't make too many like it anymore. I found this at a Goodwill, a 1977 Don Post Studio's Tor Johnson prop. I had to get it even though I don't participate in Halloween, it's quality isn't seen in anything like it today.

It now keeps watch over my garage.

fedoralover

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This isn't super vintage but they don't make too many like it anymore. I found this at a Goodwill, a 1977 Don Post Studio's Tor Johnson prop. I had to get it even though I don't participate in Halloween, it's quality isn't seen in anything like it today.

It now keeps watch over my garage.

fedoralover

It looks like Rodney Dangerfield.

Asset-00620_image.jpg

Great find. My wife bought a Tor Johnson and a full head gorilla mask from Don Post for me when she worked at a commercial costume shop in the 70s. I was a Famous Monsters of Filmland junkie as s kid and drooled over their ads in the back of the mag in the 60s. I sold them in a yard sale many years ago.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Great find. My wife bought a Tor Johnson and a full head gorilla mask from Don Post for me when she worked at a commercial costume shop in the 70s. I was a Famous Monsters of Filmland junkie as s kid and drooled over their ads in the back of the mag in the 60s. I sold them in a yard sale many years ago.

A funny side note on Hollywood gorilla mask. Seems when the Bell P-59 jet program was going on at Mojave, regular Air force pilots were constantly getting in the way of the test program. One of the test pilots went to see a buddy in the costume department and borrowed a gorilla mask and bowler hat. Suddenly the Air Force base psychiatrist was getting reports from the pilots of seeing a propellerless airplane with fire coming out of the tail, being flown by a gorilla wearing a bowler hat, smoking a cigar. The test area became off limits after that!

A funny side note on Hollywood gorilla mask. Seems when the Bell P-59 jet program was going on at Mojave, regular Air force pilots were constantly getting in the way of the test program. One of the test pilots went to see a buddy in the costume department and borrowed a gorilla mask and bowler hat. Suddenly the Air Force base psychiatrist was getting reports from the pilots of seeing a propellerless airplane with fire coming out of the tail, being flown by a gorilla wearing a bowler hat, smoking a cigar. The test area became off limits after that!

:rofl: I would love to have seen that. lol lol

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Haven't had time to take pics yet, but ran into a bit of luck at the Goodwill near my office.

I work near a fairly affluent area of town, so the pickings in this location are often of better quality than in other areas. I found three pairs of cedar shoe trees, which made me think to check the shoe area. There, I found Johnston & Murphy black cap-toe in my size, and two pairs of brogues in brown and black I didn't immediately recognize. They fit, were in really nice condition and well-made, so I took all three pairs to match with the shoe trees. Total purchase - just over $21.00.

After I got home and had time to take a brush to the shoes, I saw the maker's stamp in the brogues.
Gieves & Hawkes
1 Savile Row, London

It appears that someone had cleaned out a closet of a person who wears my size, and may have had no idea of the quality of clothing they were donating. Or maybe they did. Who knows? Regardless, I now own two pairs of VERY nice, possibly hand-made shoes, in addition to the cap-toes I was needing.

Haven't had time to take pics yet, but ran into a bit of luck at the Goodwill near my office.

I work near a fairly affluent area of town, so the pickings in this location are often of better quality than in other areas. I found three pairs of cedar shoe trees, which made me think to check the shoe area. There, I found Johnston & Murphy black cap-toe in my size, and two pairs of brogues in brown and black I didn't immediately recognize. They fit, were in really nice condition and well-made, so I took all three pairs to match with the shoe trees. Total purchase - just over $21.00.

After I got home and had time to take a brush to the shoes, I saw the maker's stamp in the brogues.
Gieves & Hawkes
1 Savile Row, London

It appears that someone had cleaned out a closet of a person who wears my size, and may have had no idea of the quality of clothing they were donating. Or maybe they did. Who knows? Regardless, I now own two pairs of VERY nice, possibly hand-made shoes, in addition to the cap-toes I was needing.

Great find! Every time I find Aldens or such brands they are too darned small for my big feet. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy