Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Brinybay

Practically Family
Doran said:
What is an "underwater bottle field"?

Dozens and dozens of bottles covering the bottom of the sea. I'm an avid scuba diver and this was one of many some friends of mine and I found while doing a clean-up dive at a dock. There wasn't much at the dock, so we went exploring and found a "bottle field" farther out. This one dates to no later than the 30s. Note the 3-digit phone #. A few others I found:

Gig_Harbor_bottle_dive2.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I saw this three-piece at a local suit shop called "Dad and Lad" about a month ago. I liked it but it was too much at $240 and too large at 44R, 38 trouser waist.

Well, today I was browsing around at Goodwill today and saw it, still with the $240 price tag. I couldn't miss an opportunity like that and bought it for $6. It's never been worn, the trousers are still unhemmed.

003.jpg

001.jpg

007.jpg

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Feraud said:
I found a Korean War era overcoat.
The only pics I took before sending out for a cleaning are of the patches and label.
DSC04024.jpg

DSC04030.jpg

That reminds me, at Goodwill last week, they had a woman's gray wool coat (princess-style) & it looked very military, and on the lining "1957" was printed. It didn't have any of the military tags on the inside--the ones that tell what the thing is, but it just looked so very official. I didn't get it, it was $19.99, and I was waiting for it to be half-off today, and it was gone. :(

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
sewing machine

I went to an Estate sale this morning and picked up this sewing machine and cabinet for $5. It's in working order with all the attachments.
pinkmachine.jpg
[/IMG]

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
After a long dry spell, I seriously scored this morning. Two bakelite utensils for $1 each and a celluloid necklace for $1! I've been looking for affordable celluloid forever, and I just love this piece.

100_2658.jpg

100_2656.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Brinybay said:
Dozens and dozens of bottles covering the bottom of the sea. I'm an avid scuba diver and this was one of many some friends of mine and I found while doing a clean-up dive at a dock. There wasn't much at the dock, so we went exploring and found a "bottle field" farther out. This one dates to no later than the 30s. Note the 3-digit phone #.
Hallo Brinybay - another diver here! Never been on a bottle hunt, but I know it's a popular field for collecting among other divers. I don't think I've turned up any interesting manmade artefacts while diving...just lots of weight belts and the odd anchor.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He's a pill, all right!

Doran said:
Not People's Bazaar but another place. By the Ashby BART station. Specialized in Asian antiques of C20.

I came in with the stroller. A big dog was inside and a frail old man. I was dressed to the nines and looked very respectable AND I HAD A BABY FOR GOSHSAKE. This normally adds to your respectability unless you are a crack wh#re. The old man said "oh, there's a dog in here, I don't know about the baby."

Rather rude. I said, "perhaps I'll just poke my head in."

He said, "Are you interested in Asian antiques? What are you interested in?" in a slightly challenging tone, rather than letting me make up my own mind -- as though he needed to ascertain whether I 'belonged' there.

I said, "Yes, but usually more American early C20."

His tone was annoyed and annoying. I got out.

How did he know you weren't a major collector? People like that have no business being in retail.

Joli7211

Familiar Face
Here is my flea market find... all for under 500$ taxes and delivery included...

2224839164_fd1d964ef7_m.jpg

2224838586_de82c82aed_m.jpg

2224045361_c49512c12c_m.jpg

2224836522_4187d4ae83_m.jpg

2224838056_2c77bd181d_m.jpg

The cr?™che was something that my mother and I made together about 20 years ago. :D I hadn't made the bed yet when I took the pictures of the room, but it came with the set. :D

Daniel

Familiar Face
I just bought this for $18.00...I always wanted a boomerang coffee table, and this is bi-level! I'm assuming it's repro, not vintage, but it's made out of formica-type stuff and solid wood. Anyone have a guess as to the age?

boomerang1.jpg

Joli7211

Familiar Face
Daniel said:
I just bought this for $18.00...I always wanted a boomerang coffee table, and this is bi-level! I'm assuming it's repro, not vintage, but it's made out of formica-type stuff and solid wood. Anyone have a guess as to the age?

boomerang1.jpg

I agree, 1980's seems about right. I can see it in the early 80's when leg warmers were popular and video's were new. Can't you see it in a room with someone playing Atari and listening to Boy George or MJ?

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My latest thrift store purchases

My first piece of vintage couture, circa 1960's. I got it a couple months ago, but it needed some repair work, and I decided to NOT go to the first alteration person in town after she told me I should "Just throw away all those old clothes" and made a face. :eusa_doh:

overcoat17_lacroix1.JPG
overcoat17_lacroix2.JPG

overcoat17_lacroix3.JPG

overcoat17_lacroix4.JPG

overcoat17_lacroix5.JPG

and my new $3.25 1950's overcoat that I got today. Gotta love it:

overcoat18a.JPG

overcoat18b.JPG

It looks handmade, very well hand made at that. And this cutie for a couple bucks:

collar_020208.JPG

Vintage Betty

Brinybay

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
...the first alteration person in town ... told me I should "Just throw away all those old clothes" and made a face. :eusa_doh:

Vintage Betty

:eek: Rudeness on top of ignorance, wow! I'd be giving her boss an earful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot