Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Mixmaster

New in Town
More cool lights

Here is the pair of cool lamps with the fiberglass lampshades:

DSCN3573.gif

DSCN3571.gif

I paid $45 for the pair.

Mixmaster

New in Town
More good finds....

So, my handle is Mixmaster, but I haven't posted any yet (Sunbeam Mixmasters, that is!).....

DSCN3550.gif

In this picture there are three mixers, the one in the middle and the one on the left are both model 3's (made 1936-8). The model 3 on the left was purchased from a fellow mixer collector for $30. That's a pretty good deal, and I was happy to get it. That is, until, I went to an estate sale and purchased the one in the middle for $5. ....and the $5 one works better than the $30 one! It didn't when I first got it home, but I opened it up, re-greased it, oiled it, gave it a new cord, and now it runs like a champ!

Just to round out the description, the mixer on the right is a model 5 (there was no model 4 produced). Model 5's were produced from 1939-40.

-Sherri

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this at the Goodwill today. An original Jefferson Golden Hour. It was working for a short while, then....quit. :( It's definitely vintage by the look of the plug in. It was $7.

clock.jpg
[/IMG]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think if you look at some of the collectables and antique web sites, you'll find those clocks are worth drastically more than what you will have invested.
Regarding the ash trays, there was a time in America when a dinner table place setting included a small ash tray! People sat and smoked AS THEY ATE! If you don't remember the 1950's it's hard to imagine how smoke drenched it was. Nobody noticed because everyone stank uniformly.

Smuterella

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I think if you look at some of the collectables and antique web sites, you'll find those clocks are worth drastically more than what you will have invested.
Regarding the ash trays, there was a time in America when a dinner table place setting included a small ash tray! People sat and smoked AS THEY ATE! If you don't remember the 1950's it's hard to imagine how smoke drenched it was. Nobody noticed because everyone stank uniformly.

Before the smoking ban over here I used to really enjoy going out for a curry with friends where we would order obscene amounts of food and smoke between courses

*wistful sigh*

Josephine

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
Well, it's now in the hands of the clock repairman. I'll be eating macaroni and cheese for a few weeks...:eusa_doh:

When you get the clock back all nice and shiny you can splurge and throw a can of cream of mushroom soup into that mac and cheese. lol ;)

Warbaby

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
Well, it's now in the hands of the clock repairman. I'll be eating macaroni and cheese for a few weeks...:eusa_doh:

Wish I'd seen this thread a day earlier - those Golden Hour clocks are pretty easy to repair yourself. I've restored a dozen or so and if the motor's not burned out it's usually just a matter of cleaning the drive gears and oiling the motor. Dismantling one takes only a few minutes and there aren't a lot of fiddly little bits to deal with. OTOH, having your clock guy do it is the sure way to have it running in tip-top shape for years to come.

They're very cool clocks and one of the great mid-century design icons - definitely worth the cost of restoring it, particularly considering the smokin' price you got it for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass