Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Cricket

Practically Family
HarpPlayerGene said:
Actually, I just hadn't taken pictures of a bunch of finds I've acquired but I just got around to it so here comes a gob of entries for your perusal. Comments and edification are welcome. I don't know much about these things - I just sort of go on instinct when something looks old and cool to me. And cheap.

For the hard-boiled reporter types in the Lounge:

"Laptop" (open):

DSC_0012.jpg

(and folded - wish I had the case too)

DSC_0011.jpg

Assorted old cameras:

DSC_0019.jpg

I am so jealous. Being a reporter, I would like these in my office to show off to everyone who comes to my desk. I enjoy looking at and collecting the older pieces of my trade, but then again, I realize how much more work I would have to do with film and prints.

Great finds!

nico demouse

Familiar Face
Just in time for Thanksgiving, I found this vintage Nesco roaster. It came with the original manual, which has a copyright date of 1946.

DSC00591.jpg

I also recently picked up this old fan. I'm not sure how old it is, but it's much more stylish than the white plastic box fan I've been using. It even oscillates!

DSC00467.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Cricket said:
I am so jealous. Being a reporter, I would like these in my office to show off to everyone who comes to my desk. I enjoy looking at and collecting the older pieces of my trade, but then again, I realize how much more work I would have to do with film and prints.

Great finds!

Hey, Cricket, and thanks. I don't think the cameras are anything special as far as value but I also like having them around the office for the way they look. I often see similar ones in a lot of junk - I mean, antique - stores. (They're junk when you're trying to sell them to the store, they're antiques when they sell them to you. lol ) Anyway, the Imperial is the coolest one I think.

I've only seen a field reporter's typewriter like mine one other time and that was on Ebay. I watched it for kicks and it wound up selling cheap!

G'luck!

Brinybay

Practically Family
Went to visit Mom for a couple days. She loves to thrift-crawl, bless her heart, and so do I, so we spent an afternoon and visited 3. I picked up a leather bomber-style jacket for $15 and this wing-back chair. While not exactly "vintage", the tag indicates it was made in 1987, but I always liked the look of these as being somewhat "retro". It's in solid shape, no tears, stains, or odors, just needed a good vacuuming.
2008-07-26010.jpg

Brinybay

Practically Family
FedoraGent said:
Folks,

So this isn't necessarily a junk store/thrift or yard sale find...however I found a beautiful deal on a near mint condition 1924 Victor Victrola VV-50 Portable Phonograph. I bought it from a young lady on Craigslist whose family had it since 1924. That would make Magneto and myself the second owners in it's life. The family that owned it before had an importer and exporter business as well as a shipping line in and out of Seatle, WA to Japan. The VV-50 has Kanji characters on the right hand side of the license plate that tells me it was bought there and brought to the States. It sounds wonderful, and one in this condition would normally bring about 500 to 600 US. I got it for a mere 150 and it only needs two SMALL parts. Other than that, it is impeccable. It is only missing the escutcheon for the crank handle and the cabinet lid. Other than that, it's complete and works like the day it came from the store.

Here is a picture of it:

newVV50.jpg

Not a bad days work. This was a once in a lifetime find.

FG.

Nice find! IMHO, I consider CL just an online version of yard sales.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
IMG_0267.jpg

Was at a thrift store and found a bag of mechanical pencils and other things for $3

These were in that mix.
They are all ball point, and Im thinking 60s...if anyone has more info, Id be grateful :)

IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

There were also a few marker ink cartridges in the mix as well. All in all, a cool find!

LD

Laura Chase

One Too Many
While I love this thread, sometimes it becomes so picture heavy that's it's virtually un-browseable (like page 49). Could we not post huge photos, maybe just medium sized ones that fit to the width of the thread even on the smallest screens (mine is just 12") and maybe just link to the high-res photo if it's something we gotta see? I know I'm not a bartender, but the huge photos annoy me sometimes. :) Hopefully I'm not being offensive to anyone. :)

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
One pair of excellent condition Stafford wingtips,I know they're the JCP house brand,but these are really nice shoes complete with leather soles,which makes me think that they're at least pre-1990's.

One pair of Johnston & Murphy mocs (modern,but they look nice),my guess would be worn once or twice.

One Tom James sportcoat (again modern,but really nice,complete with half canvas).

One Italian silk tie (the brand escapes me).Sadly it became ripped beyond repair.

One pair of cufflinks (unsure as to age).

I enjoy thrifting,and oddly enough,everything above was found while looking for things entirely unrelated to clothing,like records.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hello Laura.

In all my posts, that's the first time I've read such a remark. I'm not cross about it, and I'll take your request under advisement. Personally, I have a computer and connection sufficient to breeze through opening large image intense pages - and I enjoy seeing other's photos at the large size so I can drink in the details. I don't come here to be in a stressful rush. I come here to enjoy myself.

All the best,

Gene

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just yesterday found the two absolutely narrowest ties I have ever seen in my life at the local "Out of the Closet" thrift store. These are a MAXIMUM of an inch wide. I am assuming they are 1960s. $1 each. Not really my time period, but I have never seen such ties in a thrift store so I bought them.

I also found a vinyl portable snap-close tie rack that can hang on a closet rod or fold into a packet for transportation and travel. Perhaps I should photograph it. It's ingenious.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
FedoraGent said:
Folks,

So this isn't necessarily a junk store/thrift or yard sale find...however I found a beautiful deal on a near mint condition 1924 Victor Victrola VV-50 Portable Phonograph. I bought it from a young lady on Craigslist whose family had it since 1924. That would make Magneto and myself the second owners in it's life. The family that owned it before had an importer and exporter business as well as a shipping line in and out of Seatle, WA to Japan. The VV-50 has Kanji characters on the right hand side of the license plate that tells me it was bought there and brought to the States. It sounds wonderful, and one in this condition would normally bring about 500 to 600 US. I got it for a mere 150 and it only needs two SMALL parts. Other than that, it is impeccable. It is only missing the escutcheon for the crank handle and the cabinet lid. Other than that, it's complete and works like the day it came from the store.

Here is a picture of it:

newVV50.jpg

Not a bad days work. This was a once in a lifetime find.

FG.

FG, yours is very much like the VV-50 I have. Mine was $125, but I had to restore my it, and the crank isn't original. It's a 1923 model, and it too has the Kanji characters on the plate. Here's mine:
100_1689.jpg

100_1690.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Brinybay said:
I have to ask, what are "toilet pins"?

toiletpins.jpg

There have been many names for straight pins – necessary pins c1860s-early 1900s, dressmaker pins and within that silks and standards c 1920s to current, toilet pins characterized by black glass heads c1940s and as the photos show, special decorative pins to be seen and admired on clothing.

http://www.fabrics.net/joan101.asp

LD

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Admittedly, I bought it at an auction, but I suppose this thread is the best fit; an art deco drinks cabinet, the handle on the lid is lucite, so it's from the fifties. Purportedly made for an exiled Chinese princess, I take that piece of info with a pinch of salt...:

69280-2.jpg

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Lucky Strike said:
Admittedly, I bought it at an auction, but I suppose this thread is the best fit; an art deco drinks cabinet, the handle on the lid is lucite, so it's from the fifties. Purportedly made for an exiled Chinese princess, I take that piece of info with a pinch of salt...:

69280-2.jpg

I wouldn't use the lucite handle as an excuse to date the cabinet 1950s. Lucite was invented in 1931.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Brinybay said:
I have to ask, what are "toilet pins"?

toiletpins.jpg

A ladies toilet is an old-fashioned term referring to the process of a woman preparing her hair, putting on make-up and getting dressed. Similar to they way toilet water got it's name, I'd say these pins got their name. I would say these slightly fancier pins were meant for fastening clothing, pinning scarves, corsages, tacking trim on a hat, etc., as opposed to being meant for sewing. They look to be late 18th century, early 19th century to me. I bet the heads of the pins are also glass.

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
BeBopBaby said:
I wouldn't use the lucite handle as an excuse to date the cabinet 1950s. Lucite was invented in 1931.

True! But it was rarely used for decorative purposes until after WWII. In any case, the locks etc. puts it squarely in the 50s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner