Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
HarpPlayerGene said:
Picked up these vintage (1950s maybe?) braces today for $1.00 each. New in boxes. Very nice hardware on them, superior leather compared to newer ones and a slim style. :D

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

I'm envious!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I am super pleased about this, because it is interesting in layers.

I found it for $1 at my local thrift.

1942 First Edition

IMG_0910.jpg

Cool huh?

Cool? I'll say! I love finding things with history, especially books. Which reminds me, I found a thrift store book (The Echo of Greece by Edith Hamilton) packed with goodies: A daily schedule from one of the SS Rotterdam's cruises, dated October 15, 1969; A business card with pressed "real flowers from Bethlehem"; a brochure/map of Portugal, apparently from the Hotel Estoril-Sol; and two stickers for a hotel in Rabat, Morocco. I've been researching the ship and the cruise. Not much info, but it looks like my finds are from a 42-day, 24-port Mediterranean cruise. I like to think the previous owner took the book on his/her cruise to read, and ended up stuffing it with little souvenirs. :)

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a couple items I picked up earlier this year from the charity shop I volunteer at. Both were deeply discounted.

I think this cookie jar without a lid cost me $4. The flat needle packs to the left were my mother's before I stole them. :whistling

jar_pinkcandy.JPG

And I actually passed by this Japanese tea or cookie jar the first couple times. But after it was discounted and my volunteer discount was added, I couldn't stand the thought of losing it. :eusa_doh: I think I paid less than $12. ;) I use it to hold my hem and seam tape for the day in the future when I learn the mysteries of sewing.

jar_pinkcookie1a.JPG

jar_pinkcookie1b.JPG

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I stopped at a local Goodwill Store today, one that I've always had good luck finding vintage styles at. Today I came away with these oxblood wingtips by Hanover for $5.50. They are leather soled, but I'm not quite sure of the vintage.
100_1687-1.jpg

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
KilroyCD said:
I stopped at a local Goodwill Store today, one that I've always had good luck finding vintage styles at. Today I came away with these oxblood wingtips by Hanover for $5.50. They are leather soled, but I'm not quite sure of the vintage.
100_1687-1.jpg

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I am in envy!:D

KilroyCD

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
^
From the looks of the laces and the printing inside, I'd say they are not old - - but they are COOL!

Nice grab.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case, but when I'm cuttin' a rug, who's going to be able to tell? :D

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Josephine said:
Could you tell us why? I'm curious. Thanks!

The printing is modern, and the sizing is modern too. The laces are also modern, as evident by the tipping; which is modern weave plus an extended tip. The older laces had either no tip or shortened tips with varied weave, usually two or three ply, thick cotton.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
OK, I've been holding back...

Actually, I just hadn't taken pictures of a bunch of finds I've acquired but I just got around to it so here comes a gob of entries for your perusal. Comments and edification are welcome. I don't know much about these things - I just sort of go on instinct when something looks old and cool to me. And cheap.

For the hard-boiled reporter types in the Lounge:

"Laptop" (open):

DSC_0012.jpg

(and folded - wish I had the case too)

DSC_0011.jpg

Assorted old cameras:

DSC_0019.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
DING - "Second floor; lamps, lighting and lucky deals."

This one's a hum-dinger. VERY heavy brass. Did I mention it's heavy? It is. It is astounding how heavy the base is on this thing is. Sheesh. A steal at $28.00!!

DSC_0014.jpg

Then there's my light on my art table. Fairly 'solid state' in its own right and for $8.00 I couldn't resist:

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
And in the music department...

Got this Conn saxophone for $75, with a hard case, lanyard and reeds. Now I need to learn to play the thing. My poor girlfriend. And she thought hearing me learn harmonica was painful.

DSC_0025-1.jpg

Speaking of harmonicas, here's some old Hohners. A german company. The engraved logo on the back of a couple of these features a six-pointed star inside a round medal being held by two hands. (You can barely see it on the curved harp at bottom right.) That was their original, old logo. Some time in the late '30s it became a little dangerous in Europe to feature a Star of David in one's trademark so it went away and has never returned to the design. :(

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
OK, these are recent scores...

Got these gloves for a buck a pair!

These are super soft, good quality leather and they fit me... well... like a glove. :eek:

DSC_0013.jpg

These are lightweight suede. Damn, I just had a hard time typing that word:

DSC_0012-1.jpg

These are thicker leather. Could almost be work gloves, or will come in handy if I have to take the controls of my Sopwith Camel. lol They don't fit my long fingers as well as the others.

DSC_0011-1.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Not too vintage but...

...a cool score in my book. I spied this in an old metal tool box full of odd wrenches and screwdrivers, etc. It was $10 for the whole she-bang. A Victorinox like this goes for well over a hundred dollars new.

DSC_0020.jpg

It's missing the toothpick, but I keep one inside each of my hats anyway.

DSC_0021.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorites

Here's a very old, very high quality Panama hat I scored at a joint within walking distance of my house. It was around $20.00! :D

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

This was top-dollar for a straw in it's day:
DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Almost done...

Here's a weird one.

The first couple of photos are of my father's old cufflink/jewelry organizer. Probably from the '40s or '50s. (He was born in 1914.)

Then the second two photos are of one JUST LIKE IT that I found at a thrift store, so I keep my little treasures in it. :D

Pop's:

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

Mine:

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner