Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE
Firerecoveryday7053.jpg

20 cubic yards of rejects after my fire of March 2009. These were choice discs, gleaned from 2 generations of collecting.:([/QUOTE]

I am going to cry.
I am so sorry for your loss...but am glad you are ok :)

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
I hit the bonanza today...here's two of my favorites....any idea on maybe a year for the lipstick holder? I am thinking the beads glued to the front may not be vintage!! Should I try to remove them?? Looks like they were glued on...

DSC05950.jpg

DSC05951.jpg

DSC05961-1.jpg

This dress I can tell is older...metal zipper, lining stitches...someone took the darts out of it...I just fit in it...I may try basting the stitches back in and seeing how it fits. I have to adjust the straps as my shoulders are narrower and they are too long as well. I still haven't decided if someone "refashioned" an old dress as the lining at the neckline seems newer to me...not sure. I will try to get a picture of it on soon. Way to hard to do by myself!
That was $3.50 for the lipstick mirror...$5 for the dress!

I got a TON of stuff...all for $55!. I will try to get it posted on my blog tonite!!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Is it safe to buy second-hand straight-razors? Are there any issues with them that one should be aware of before buying one? I've been wondering whether I should buy one, and the flea-market near my house has literally DOZENS of them every single week. I'm almost tempted to go out and buy one...

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
No health hazard, just sterilize it in whatever manner you feel necessary and get as much of the surface rust off as possible.
Being a flea market purchase, it will most likely need to be honed and doing a proper hone job is a bit of an art. There are a number of reputable people that will do the job for ~$20 +shipping both ways though.
A lot more than just a razor is needed though. You'll need a brush and some sort of cream/soap, a mug for the soap and a strop for the razor.
This was an auction find of mine and my second straight razor. My first was a Dovo that was part of a kit from vintagebladesllc.com
2010-06-20204755.jpg

2010-06-20204723.jpg

here's both of em, you can see the green in the scales on the new one (bottom) it's a Cattaraugus green lizard. Cattaraugus went out of business in the 60's but they live on in an obscure way today. In 1889, a couple of brothers that worked for Cattaraugus formed their own cutlery company with the knowledge they gained while working at Cattaraugus. Their last name was Case.
2010-06-20204702.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hahaha!! I shave using a safety-razor, but I'm seriously hankering after a straight razor for some absurd reason. I just think they're awesome, even if they're high-maintenance...I'd love to be able to shave with one.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
The Mister tells me there is nothing like a shave with a straight edge!
The last barber in town use to cut his hair every other week, shave with a straight edge and clean up the neck like a proper barber for $6 back in 1983....when old Sal died, no on else came in. The place is now a photo studio.

Brinybay

Practically Family
vitanola said:
Brinybay, I fear that I may have not been clear. Alcohol is the cleaner opf choice for vinyl and Condensite (Edison Diamond Discs). It is, however, A SOLVENT FOR SHELLAC, AND WILL DISSOLVE ORDINARY SHELLAC 78'S. PLEASE DON'T ATTEMPT TO CLEAN 78'S WITH ALCOHOL!!!!

Note that VG condition isn't all that good. Shed no tears for my rejected discs!

Back to using Ivory soap. You caught me in plenty of time before I tried the alcohol, don't have any recent buys to clean.

vitanola said:
20 cubic yards of rejects after my fire of March 2009. These were choice discs, gleaned from 2 generations of collecting.:(

Ouch! What a shame!

Brinybay

Practically Family
85 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 6 days overdue?

Went 78 hunting at a Goodwill Outlet store the other day. No records, but I came across this vintage edition of The Sea Wolf by Jack London. Last due date stamped was Feb. 18, 1925. Normally I'm not that interested in old books, but it just so happened I was on the look out for an adventure novel in a compact size to take with me to work. Interesting that the name of the library is embossed right on the book cover.

DSC01565.jpg
DSC01566.jpg
DSC01567.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Call me crazy but I bought a straight razor.

I tossed it into the ultrasonic cleaner, gave it a clean and a disinfect with some hot water and other stuff, then I spent about half an hour sharpening it on a stone and gave it a simple stropping on an old belt (the only suitable piece of leather I had) and took it for a whirl.

Well...

...I'm still alive.

I don't think it's quite sharp enough, though. It's certainly shaving, but not as good as it might.

Here it is:

razor3.jpg

AE Sculap surgical-grade straight-razor. Made in Germany from rust-free stainless-steel. I bought it from a very nice Scotsman at the local flea-market for $35 down from $45. I asked for thirty but he wouldn't go that low. He agreed on $35 because, in his own words: "You're one of my regular customers..." (which I was) and "...You've got a nice watch-chain!" (I was wearing my pocket-watch at the time! :D )

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
My daughter came up for DIL's baby shower so before she went back home, we did our favorite pastime...THRIFTING!!!

New books for the cottage library....the first five are free at our first stop.

Cream colored loafers..$1!

My best buy today...$6! Great condition GE iron, works like it was just taken out of the box, the cloth cord is near perfect, one teeny just-barely-there fray in the cord that I think is more from sitting wrapped up for years.

I still haven't found any vintage canisters...I did find two aluminum ones...both for flour..the others from the set nowhere to be found :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn