Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Foofoogal

Banned
and I think it is swell Quigley. When I see an object like this I instantly start thinking about Yvonne and wonder where the studio is or was and the history. lol
How many little girls and possibly little boys learned to dance there.
http://www.yvonnesschoolofdance.com/home.html
I wonder if this is it?

I have sat in many a recital and classes with our daughter in another state.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Ain't this a beauty!? Cursory research indicates 1940s. After that the Art Deco style "DeLuxe" badge changed considerably. I think the control knob is bakelite but not sure. Very heavy base, and of course the top is glass. Works great! :D

DSCN3317.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
One month after I got my straight-razor, I finally found (and quickly purchased!) a razor-strop in excellent condition! It's a paddle-strop and it's just what I need to upkeep the razor. Cost me $25.

Strop.jpg

The requisite photograph :) Razor added for scale.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
Nice strop and razor!

I was interested in a signed Picasso lithograph at auction tonight and had hopes of getting it cheap (the *ahem* rednecks here don't particularly appreciate expressionism, abstractism, impressionism, etc) Alas, some poor soul, obviously without a smart phone to research such things, paid about 30% over fair market value and I had to let it go.

I'm still somewhat peeved as I'm almost positive the individual that purchased the lithograph had the intention of selling it and they paid far to much to even cut even, unless they are willing to hold on to it for some time. It was a rather dark, expressionist piece that would have looked fabulous on the wall next to my Mesibov. :(

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
HHISIII said:
Nice strop and razor!

Thanks!

The razor's a standard-sized stainless-steel razor with a 6/8 blade which shaves an absolute treat. I love it. The strop works wonderfully. There's a couple of nicks on its edge, but these don't interfere with the regular stropping which I do after every shave or every second shave, depending on how often I remember to do it. I love the fact that the strop came with its original box :)

Jish1969

Familiar Face
A Toast!

On my way back from the dentist today I stopped by a local church operated thrift shop and found this McGraw model 1B5 toaster. The cord is shot and I can't get the handle to push down yet but the guy gave it to me for a buck, there was no looking back...Retrotoasters.com puts it between 1934-36...

toaster001.jpg
[/IMG]

toaster002.jpg
[/IMG]

toaster003.jpg
[/IMG]

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Well i put a new cord on it and it works now, but I still have to figure out how to get the lever to stay down...its boggling me right now.

Argee

One of the Regulars
Jish1969 said:
Well i put a new cord on it and it works now, but I still have to figure out how to get the lever to stay down...its boggling me right now.

Have you taken the housing off yet? The lever is held down by the clockwork timer, you'll need to visually inspect it to see what's wrong.

Jish1969

Familiar Face
I cant get the housing all the way off due to the fact that the light/dark lever is connected quite firmly to the timing mechanism. I was only able to lift the opposite sidf of it high enough to replace the cord. I cant figure out how to detach the time lever yet though...If anyone has a clue about that please let me know...

Xavier_Godshore

Familiar Face
Dresser.jpg

I found her being thrown away by the side of the road. I'm guessing it's from somewhere in the 20's-40's. Hand painted too! And also being thrown away was a headboard and a footboard that matched this dresser too, complete with painted flowers. Pictures to come once I fix her up.

~ X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy