Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

TackCollector

Familiar Face
The Mission style oak rocker is fabulous. Possibly Arts and Crafts era. I said possibly.

It's kind of an unusual hybrid, isn't it? I think it might be a little before the Arts and Crafts really caught on, or like it was a Sears Roebuck piece that could not be too fashion-forward, lol. It has that Mission back and the wood is quartersawn oak, but then it has those odd curvy paws for arms, and curvy front legs. Like they were not all that certain they wanted to make the change.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Sofa label would be on the decking under the seat cushions, maybe on the bottom.
That's a nifty rocker, in a style made for such a long period it's hard to peg. Possibly teens, up through? One would have to see the underside.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Your lovely Couch reminds me of "Biedermeir" furniture from the 1800's just google "Biedermeir" images, oh if its 1800's with a 70's Velvet upholstery you are Literally sitting on a fortune"

Biedermeier-Sofa.jpg

Last edited:

nulty

One of the Regulars
Mid 1960's......My Gram had a set just like it bought brand new in about 1966....I still have the marble top end tables that went with it.....Very Nice find...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Old 'bumbershoot' with some type of rolled plating on handle
DSCN4281.jpg

DSCN4282.jpg

Kellogg red bar telephone
DSCN4108.jpg

DSCN4110.jpg

Suitcase full of goodies (including Nat'l Geos from '20s through '30s to match up to the '40s and forward ones I recently found).
Turns out these items and many old postcards belonged to a local lady, now deceased, who was a travel writer through the '60s. When we're done looking through it all, we're going to turn in most of it to the local Historic Society museum.
DSCN4097.jpg

DSCN4100.jpg

DSCN4101.jpg

DSCN4102.jpg

DSCN4103.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Not only are they great cufflinks, but useful as well. Learn the basics of the abacus, and you can dazzle your associates with off the cuff calculations...

Hahahahaha!!lol

I can actually use an abacus (they're not that hard to figure out) but these are the first abacuses (abacai?) that I've ever owned! The lady who I purchased them from (who I've already bought a lot of other stuff from at the flea-market) said that they were about 60 years old, which would date them ca. 1950.

After a bit of sleuthing, I think my cufflinks are actually 14kt solid gold. I found this link...

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,vintage-14k-gold,2050478.html

...which is selling a pair of identical cufflinks, which are also marked '14k'. Same measurements, same shape, same design and same date (1950s-1960s). The advertised set is also selling a matching tie-clip.

Done more research. Found about five other examples (three on eBay) all selling identical or similar cufflinks marked 14k solid.

We can't all be wrong...right?

Last edited:

Optionseeker

New in Town
Happy Sunday All...

Yesterday was an excellent day at the local Thriftstores... I found two lovely 100% cashmere sweaters that are in excellent condition and picked them up for almost nothing. They are soft and luxurious with no stains or smells, etc. Two items of concern however. One, they are both women's sweaters so they will have to become gifts for friends and two, they have quite a bit of pilling or balling on them. After a steam, some of the balling is gone but some remains.

Can anyone recommend a safe way to remove these pills.

Cheers,

J

PoohBang

Suspended
Will you be mentioning that these are thrift finds when you give them as gifts?

Happy Sunday All...

Yesterday was an excellent day at the local Thriftstores... I found two lovely 100% cashmere sweaters that are in excellent condition and picked them up for almost nothing. They are soft and luxurious with no stains or smells, etc. Two items of concern however. One, they are both women's sweaters so they will have to become gifts for friends and two, they have quite a bit of pilling or balling on them. After a steam, some of the balling is gone but some remains.

Can anyone recommend a safe way to remove these pills.

Cheers,

J

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Heartbroken!

Just got back from the local Goodwill. They've got 8 new suits on the rack ... vintage, pristine, french, $5. Unfortunately they're also each a 44r. I thought of just spending the $40 and buying them all and then either having them tailored to fit ... or just squeeze my shoulders in there and hope for the best.

Optionseeker

New in Town
Optionseeker
You can buy a shaver for pilling. It is very easy to use. Just go slow...or you can show me a photo of the sweaters. I collect them.
By an act of God one wouldn't be emerald green would it? I am on a mission to find one forever.
http://www.google.com/products?q=sweater+shaver&hl=en&aq=f
very cheap.

Thank-you for the recommendation... and yes, one is green. I showed them to a lady friend of mine who made the same suggestion. She shares my slight addiction to thrift stores and was as excited by the find as me. Turns out she also looked great in them and left with both :D.

I think that was the best part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy