Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0695_zpsf9f06d44.jpg

A rather unassuming little toy. This is my Joseph Rodgers & Sons straight razor from the 1910s or 20s, I believe.

It's marked "Cutlers to Their Majesties". That's either Edward and Alexandra, or George and Mary. Not sure which one. I suspect, it's the former. Unless someone here can show otherwise?

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Two-piece silk and linen outfit (in need of pressing), and a Flying Tiger Line bag.
P2160745_zps5c66a375.jpg

Made-in-Madrid coat.
P2160739_zpsb1e4bc55.jpg

Assorted slides, negatives, linens, great dictionary from 1924, and a 1948 yearbook from the university I attended several decades later.

P2160747_zps807a3203.jpg

Having worked for Flying Tiger Line in the early 1970s, I couldn't help but notice that bag.

I'm guessing it's an artifact from the days, during the U.S. military involvement in Vietnam, when Flying Tiger Line transported American troops to and fro aboard its "convertible" DC-8s. Tiger, as we called it, was acquired by FedEx a long time ago, and rare is the person in the general population these days who ever heard of it. But there's still more than a few vets who remember riding aboard their planes.

Me, I was never part of a crew that did the quickie conversion from freighter to passenger aircraft and back again, but I surely did move many a ton of freight in and out of those big load doors. Even flew in the cockpit between SEA and ORD a couple of times. Big thrill for a young man like me.

Last edited:

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
Speaking of aviation...heres a 1940/50's Marx toy DC4
Its made of pressed steel and still has the Pan Am decals..although this toy has seen better days
I think its pretty cool and I am going to hang it in my office (I work in aviation)
panam1_zpsec0423d9.jpg

panam2_zps5c56287d.jpg

panam4_zpse207d51e.jpg

panam5_zps475f8b8a.jpg

panam3_zpsb079c17e.jpg

panam7_zpseb340b8f.jpg

The wood wheels...
panam8_zpsc15c87db.jpg

Its quite large and heavy..here it is beside my shoe (a previous thrift store find :))
panam6_zpsf4cc1d7c.jpg

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
Scored this mens long Burberry double breatsed trench coat in like new condition
It has the zip-in wool liner and the button-in wool collar liner.
Bonus..it fits me perfect!!!
bur1_zps17ac0499.jpg

bur2_zpsc97ef5ab.jpg

bur3_zpsf496cc45.jpg

bur5_zps45ff2bdb.jpg

bur4_zps71f39452.jpg

Most excellent finds, Dog.

How did the toy plane find its way to you? I'm diggin' your idea of hanging it in your office. When I first saw the photos of it, and before I read your text, I was thinkin' that if that thing were mine, I'd be looking for a place to hang it. Transparent fishing line might come in handy.

Dropped in for the last hour of a monthly "flea market" (mostly junk, but ...) at the county fairgrounds today, just to see what the sellers would just as soon sell at a bargain as box up and take back home.

Pickings were pretty thin, but I did find this Westclox electric alarm clock for five bucks. Keeps good time. It's in a solid wood case. I'm guessing '50s vintage, but I'd welcome a correction from anyone better versed in such matters ...

GEDC1418_zps4df21314-1.jpg

And this old (not sure how old) copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin, for eight bucks ...

GEDC1420_zps58355f87-1.jpg

Last edited:

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
Thanks Tony..
I was traveling through a very small town and noticed a "used store". It was packed with all sorts of stuff, I didnt have nearly enough time to go through everything but I did score the airplane and a couple of other things...will be going back there for sure :)

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Our local car boot has moved to a new and far more local to me at least venue, here's yesterday's finds, total £4!
A Stratton 'dress set' less a stud
dmbhgi.jpg

and the other bits that came with it
346ug5x.jpg

And a British made Ronson lighter, no real value but in fair condition;
w6thzo.jpg

ev3vgy.jpg

os5xl3.jpg
one screw is bent the other replacing with a BIC? pen end!!!

It needs a clean, re-leathering and both screws replacing in the bottom....it's a project but for a quid who cares if it goes wrong I had to try and save it!

DNO

One Too Many
Looks like everyone made some beautiful finds this weekend! Luckily, I can add to the bounty. There was a contents sale in a small one bedroom apartment two blocks over from my house. I didn't expect a whole lot, but what a surprise! I've been wanting a good condition model 302 phone for home. Turns out, this fellow was a phone collector. His entire collection was up for grabs.

I managed to snag these guys:

Screenshot2013-02-18at24518PM_zps7b77bd37.png

Two metal bodied Northern Electric 302's. They were so cheap, I grabbed two thinking that I could use one for parts if they didn't work. Well, they both work perfectly. The one on the left is dated 1940. I won't even have to use Lizzie's excellent tutorial on wiring a 302...both are ready to go.

But I also managed to snag these as well:

Screenshot2013-02-18at24743PM_zps7a3a57ff.png

On the left is a Automatic Electric model 34 (with a later handset) and on the right is a Northern Electric D1 (aka 202). The AE34 has a malfunctioning dial, and a crack in the bakelite body. Didn't notice that at the time. The D1 came complete with its ringer box and it works perfectly as well! I thought it fitting that the first call I made using the D1 was to a friend's iPhone.

I'm not a phone collector but I have to admit that was pretty exciting. And...two blocks from home!

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Oh...almost forgot...and I ran into another FL member at the sale. He beat me (just barely) to a nicer AE34 with an earlier handset (pity that). Didn't quite get his moniker, but he seemed like a nice fellow. It's the first time I've run into a FL mate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot