Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

clunker shoes 009.jpg clunker shoes 012.jpg clunker shoes 009.jpg

Hi Folks
Not GE however Nice Frank Lloyd Wright theme silk ties... Thrift store find for $2
Probably headed to ebay or etsy.
Regards.
CCJ

DNO

One Too Many
Exciting find at the Salvation Army today (at least for me)! A first edition of Stewart Granger's autobiography "Sparks Fly Upward"....signed by Stewart Granger. In great condition, too.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Great find there DNO!

Here's my weekends finds all time related;
2h6bk8m.jpg

30i8103.jpg

this was the Smiths electric clock as found looking rather rough;
1zh0evm.jpg

zoi08.jpg

I managed quite easily to clean the chrome up and the wood brushed up nice , the electric movement is however kaput and all the screws on the back well rusted in..... I plan to repaint the inner dial, re finish the wood and install a quartz movement ...I know I could possibly get an original movement but that would mean stripping one out of an existing clock and anyway the clock cost £1 so nothing to lose really.

The two leather wrist straps are for small fob/pocket watches to enable them to be worn on the wrist, cost again £1 each and lastly the Rotary ladies watch is in excellent condition and a really good timekeeper though I had to push the boat out to a whole £3!

Great find there DNO!

Here's my weekends finds all time related;
2h6bk8m.jpg

30i8103.jpg

this was the Smiths electric clock as found looking rather rough;
1zh0evm.jpg

zoi08.jpg

I managed quite easily to clean the chrome up and the wood brushed up nice , the electric movement is however kaput and all the screws on the back well rusted in..... I plan to repaint the inner dial, re finish the wood and install a quartz movement ...I know I could possibly get an original movement but that would mean stripping one out of an existing clock and anyway the clock cost £1 so nothing to lose really.

The two leather wrist straps are for small fob/pocket watches to enable them to be worn on the wrist, cost again £1 each and lastly the Rotary ladies watch is in excellent condition and a really good timekeeper though I had to push the boat out to a whole £3!

I think you could have that movement rebuilt. There are places that rebuild Smith's movements---especially where you are. I have a Smith's mantle clock.:D

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
The screws on the back holding the wooden 'backplate' are trashed several heads chewed up or broke off when I tried to undo them, once l get that off l 'll need to 're drill it or make a new one as l don't think l 'll get the old screws out...l 'll know better once l get the back off....happily the wooden case and chrome is ok or will be with some tlc as is the chapter ring and re painting the inner dial is easy apart from 're painting the Smiths logo maybe there's a transfer available?

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
My thrift store find of the week: Picked up this neat old Woodstock typewriter at a local shop I frequent. Guy said it was recently donated by a church that until very recently still used it to type up the church bulletins. Ribbon is broken but I found I can still still order new ones for about $15, which is not much less than I gave for the typewriter. Another great piece for my planned vintage (noir detective) style home office. So, should I restore / repaint it, or just clean it up and leave it as-is?

1798222_10153958049340077_1374825005_n.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Not-advancing is one of three reasons:

1. Mainspring is jammed/broken.
2. Drawstring is broken.
3. Ratchet is jammed/broken.

Jammed things can be cleaned and lubricated. And drawstrings can be replaced. Most people use shoelaces or strong nylon thread/cord. I've never had to do it myself, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner