Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
My baboonya sewed on one of those for years...and eventually the table was at my moms, and as a kid I used to pretend the treadle was the gas pedal for a car....Imagine my dismay upon learning to drive that real cars weren't 'pedal faster go faster' and you had to -hold- the pedal down! ;)

I still haven't figured that one out yet. I'm not much of a driver.

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Teekay44 said:
And this ring. Its German WWI. The winners of the Iron Cross would sometimes make signet rings. A Rare find!! $15 :D
100_3126.jpg

Good find - are there any hallmarks on it? The typical German marks of that time would be a royal (closed) crown, a crescent, and in most cases the number .800.

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I picked up these teen mags from 1957 at a church rummage sale for $2 each. They're quite a snapshot of the era with all kinds of "dreamy" photos and interesting slang terms I had never heard of before.

100_2736.jpg

Plus, I got a celluloid necklace for $1 and a couple of Russell Wright melamine dishes for 10 cents each.

100_2735.jpg

100_2737.jpg

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Lucky Strike said:
Good find - are there any hallmarks on it? The typical German marks of that time would be a royal (closed) crown, a crescent, and in most cases the number .800.
The ring is too worn to see. Some marks but I can't make it out. Nice ring though.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Here's my latest find - a 1940s-50s hand-knit Canadian sweater with a hunting theme. Unfortunately it's too small for me and too big for my wife, but it's such an iconic piece of Canadiana that I had to buy it. I'll prolly end up selling it on eBay someday, but for now it's draped across the back of a living room chair as a decoration.

CanSweater2cr.jpg

Those aren't wrinkles on the front and back - it's some kind of moire thing that happened from an interaction of image pixels and the weave pattern.

CanSweater3cr.jpg

CanSweater4cr.jpg

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paid a 20-spot for this lovely functional clock in my favorite thrift/antique store in the world, which is located in Vancouver, Washington:

DSCF2914.jpg

contentmentfarm

New in Town
50s lace dress

I stopped at a thrift yesterday where they have told me they don't take vintage because they can't sell it. After talking with the manager for a bit she let me in the back room where she had "a few pieces". I left with a trash bag of things including some vintage Hermes, Pucci, a couple of 40s dresses, some later funky unlabeled dresses and this fabulous tiered lace dress from the Sara Fredericks store in Boston. It pays to ask!

laceasf.jpg

laceb.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
I found the beautiful art-deco styled alpaca-metal pencil at an antique store a while ago, but I haven't been able to get a decent picture of it untill now:

Blyant01.jpg

20s I believe - stamped alpaca.

/Jakob

donCarlos

Practically Family
I want something like garage sales here! There is no such tradition and as I see it´s a pity...
However, today I have visited the largest flea market in the country. Lots of junk, some interesting watches, some absolutely amazing art deco clocks (way out of my price range) and one totally devastated bowler. At least I bought a German->Czech dictionary from 1941. Beatiful book in quite a good condition. I love the old german script.
slovnik1.jpg
slovnik2.jpg

Warbaby

One Too Many
Ok, I'm back from the garage sales with my treasures:

A nearly new pair of black Florsheim wingtips - $2.00
An Italian pasta machine - $5.00
6 Snap-On open end wrenches - $1.00
Nice leather briefcase - $.50
Big Pyrex mixing bowl - $.50

Nothing vintage, but good, useful stuff and a couple of hours of cheap entertainment.

MJrules

One of the Regulars
At an estate sale

A 1936 edition of Gone with the Wind for $4! Probably too worn to be worth anything but I've been looking for an old copy and this was perfect for the price.
DSCN1098.jpg
DSCN1087.jpg

Pretty gilt jewelry box with plastic stones and crystals. This is my favorite!

DSCN1100.jpg
DSCN1103.jpg

Pink glass perfume bottle...this and the jewelry box are probably contemporary items from Ross but so pretty don't you think?
DSCN1108.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
donCarlos said:
I want something like garage sales here! There is no such tradition and as I see it´s a pity...
However, today I have visited the largest flea market in the country. Lots of junk, some interesting watches, some absolutely amazing art deco clocks (way out of my price range) and one totally devastated bowler. At least I bought a German->Czech dictionary from 1941. Beatiful book in quite a good condition. I love the old german script.
slovnik1.jpg
slovnik2.jpg

what do people do with their stuff??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy