Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
this is some of the 'new to me' stuff from this past week:

th_kaiser2.jpg

th_kaiser.jpg

purchase from Deutsch eBay for around 44 euro 'Kaiser Idell - 6556 Super' lamp designed by Christain Dell...this is a 1950s rendition of a pre-Third Reich era Bauhaus lamp...

th_imp-1.jpg

purchased at the Saturday car boot sale Brighton for 1.50 sterling 'Imperial - Companion 4' (with all the bit and bobs)...

th_ercol.jpg

very pleased with finding this chair . i've been wanting one for a while; 'Ercol' (Lucian Ercolani) medium rocking chair. stamped '1960' this may not mean to much to you folks over the water but its really sought after British Modernist furniture right now...cost me a 10 pound note from the Sunday flea market iat Brighton railway station parking lot whist you guys were tucked up in bed...

havnt got the picture size thing right yet - sorry!

mikepara

Practically Family
In an effort to catch up on what I've missed, I've just read this whole thread. (Phew!)
Two things spring to mind:

I'm jealous of your homes, my wife is very much a modern person and filling her home with dust catchers is a no no. I can't really complain because she brought our kids up virtually alone with no family help and the odd month of me being back from service before I had to scoot off somewhere else. How could I realistically have stamped my mark on her house? Also in recompence she let me have a study cum library which I can put my 'rubbish' in!

Second point, around page 47 there's calls from a few for each item to have it's own thread. I don't suppose there's much stopping you, but a posting of your new treasure that doesn't get a response for whatever reason is soon lost when the next pile of popular threads kick off. 2 days later it's nearly impossible to casually see that thread.

I know it might be daunting to read through an entire post but nothing in it is lost. Once on top of the thread, like now, a new posts update will keep me on top quite happily without 1000's of extra threads to contend with.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
zaika said:
i am soooo in love with my latest (and largest) find...

2421868194_84529a8bfe.jpg

2421868138_024130ce4f.jpg

i love the wooden legs

2421053641_2e9fbc4afe.jpg

i found it on craigslist for $150 for both. granted there is some cat scratch damage to the sides (not too visible) and, as you can see in the second pic, some of the fabric is coming loose at the seams and what not. i dont really mind because it' not immediately visible. LOL

and i'll have to find some sofa doilies...make it look a little nicer. hehe

i love it...love love love it.

We call them "club lounges" Down Under. I have a 3 piece one that is about to go to the upholsterer as the original moquette upholstery was too worn and harsh. Yours might rebound with a good steam clean.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I went to the flea market this weekend and for $5.00 got a black wool 1940s purse with a round lucite handle that you wear around your wrist as a bracelet. It looks to have never been used, there is no wear on it at all.
And the best part is (I didn't realize this until I took it home), is that it's also a muff, there are places to put your hands in each side of the purse. My husband also got a vintage silk ascot for $5. I need to take pictures of the purse to post this evening. I'm so happy the flea markets are open now that the weather is warmer. Yay!

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
are US flea markets weather dependent? : i have a photo of me at a flea market iwhen a snow storm hit (i remember it made for good deals that morning!), and one Sunday last year in Berlin i did three flea markets in sub-zero temperatures...i donno; maybe its a 'man-thing'...

: )

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Tommy Katkins said:
are US flea markets weather dependent? : i have a photo of me at a flea market iwhen a snow storm hit (i remember it made for good deals that morning!), and one Sunday last year in Berlin i did three flea markets in sub-zero temperatures...i donno; maybe its a 'man-thing'...

: )

Most flea markets around here are outdoors and happen during the warmer months. Few are open year round, but many aren't because no one wants to go out when it's snowing, raining or very cold. And if you are a seller, you don't want your wares to get ruined by the incliment weather.

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
...the only indoor one i can think of attending in the UK is in a multi story car part in Edinburgh Scotland built on top of a plague pit (they found the bones when they were digging the foundations); that flea market always had a somewhat claustrophobic atmosphere...

lyburnum

Practically Family
My boyfriend found this little baby for $40 on Thursday

faniagbag.jpg

geiagbkg.jpg

GuideandPromotionalPosterClosed.jpg

It's the Kodascope G Series II. Flawless condition aside from a couple of nicks in the base, lovely!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
BeBopBaby said:
Most flea markets around here are outdoors and happen during the warmer months. Few are open year round, but many aren't because no one wants to go out when it's snowing, raining or very cold. And if you are a seller, you don't want your wares to get ruined by the incliment weather.

Reading this brings back memories of a massive storm that hit a giant Iowa flea market I was at one summer day years ago...

WhatCheer1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

zaika

One Too Many
cookie said:
We call them "club lounges" Down Under. I have a 3 piece one that is about to go to the upholsterer as the original moquette upholstery was too worn and harsh. Yours might rebound with a good steam clean.

ohhh. is that the name of the fabric? i think it's in pretty good condition considering the age. but i know for sure that i'll reupholster it someday, too. :)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this at the Goodwill today. I love mid-century abstract cityscapes, but this one is an original dated 1963 (signed Hireton). It measures 31x24, but is in a much larger frame. It didn't have a price sticker on it, but the cashier knows I'm a regular customer and charged me only $3. :) Now, if I only had wall space to hang it...[huh]

cityscape.jpg
[/IMG]

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I left with a trash bag of things including some vintage Hermes, Pucci, a couple of 40s dresses

Can't sell vintage Hermes? Pucci?! AHHH! I so live in the wrong place.
Filled with jealousy, I am.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My new Revere clock

(Not actually a yard sale find, but what the hey.)
I tried to think of a clever headline for this, but I'm just too pleased with my new acquisition to bother. It's a vintage 1947 Revere clock with Westminster chimes. It's in gorgeous shape, save for a small scratch on the front, which should buff or wax out. I haven't gotten the chimes to actually work yet, they're just going thunk thunk, but I'm sure a little fiddling will do it.
Now I realy have to get my unpacking completed so I can post pix of my new pad. It's still just basically a mountain of boxes, but I'm making progress!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=170211538670&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wonderful clock! Reminds me of a clock at my Uncle's house of the same style. And the seller is to be complimented on their research and great photos.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I´ve been to the flea market again, today without my girlfriend, so I could spend there more time. And it was worth it.

The first find are just some badges, but they have a special value for me, since I´m really into aircrafts and flying and some of these are even vintage (All in the upper row shall be from 50´s and the lower one is just because I love Tu-154)
odznaky.jpg

And the second great buy was a german Kienzle pocket watch. I don´t have a clue what period is it from, but I love it. The only bad thing is that they are terribly noisy.
kienzel1.jpg
kienzel2.jpg

JEEP

Practically Family
Nice pins - I have a Lufthansa pin just like the one to the left.

The watch looks to be from the 40s; both the hands, the two-tone bulls-eys dial and the art-deco back points in that direction. It is indeed a beautiful watch - and it looks to be in superb shape as well. I take it that the engine is still working?

/Jakob

donCarlos

Practically Family
JEEP said:
Nice pins - I have a Lufthansa pin just like the one to the left.

The watch looks to be from the 40s; both the hands, the two-tone bulls-eys dial and the art-deco back points in that direction. It is indeed a beautiful watch - and it looks to be in superb shape as well. I take it that the engine is still working?

/Jakob
Yes, the engine is still working, quite precisely. The shape is not as good as it may look from the photograph. If I could find a way how to open it and clean it from inside, it would look much better. One thing I forgot to mention - it was a real bargain (I think). 25 USD(after conversion) says it all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart