Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DSCN0992.jpg

Just got this vintage (60's?) B. Altman coat on freecycle. She said it was faux fur but I think it may be actual shearling. Is there a way to tell for sure? It does not feel synthetic to me.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Three packages in the mail today, one with an Old Spice Mug that will now be housing fountain pens, a very nice Parker 45 and a late 1930s Sheaffer Balance.
005-6.jpg

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Found a matching pair of vintage 1950s table lamps at a thrift store last week. The other matching lamp is a female figure. They're very large...about 34" tall. Very cool...

lamp-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Josephine

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
Found a matching pair of vintage 1950s table lamps at a thrift store last week. The other matching lamp is a female figure. They're very large...about 34" tall. Very cool...

Quigley! Been wondering where you were/if you were ok. Glad to see you back. :)

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Josephine said:
Quigley! Been wondering where you were/if you were ok. Glad to see you back. :)

I moved down to Washington DC recently so that's been keeping me busy. The thrift store where I bought these lamps is only three blocks away so I carried them one at a time back home. That day last week was very cold and windy and the shade on the female lamp got a bit damaged on the way back so that's why I didn't take a photo of it. It's repairable, though.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
WELCOME back QUIGLEY & those LAMPS (Yowzaaaa)

Quigley Brown said:
Okay, here's the pair....:)

Untitled-1-10.jpg
[/IMG]

First, good to have you back hope things
are working out for you in DC?

Second, what a STRIKE those lamps are
SMOKIN, but knew you had a good eye!

Solid Citizen ;)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I, too, have been wondering about you, QB. Welcome back and I hope your new digs give you more room for yourself and your photography. It's good to have you back.

Nice find on those very unique lamps!

Lee

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
I got this dresser some weeks ago from a craigslist type site.
19 bucks!
Needs some repair/gluing on the front, but definately worth the 19 bucks I paid!!
Vintage Betty says it looks 20s, but it is giving me a mor 40s/50s vibe...

wl6hw3.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thats not 40s or 50s at all! Id say late 20s early 30s.

Wonderful deal!

Man, you guys find the bestest stuff in thrift stores. All I come across is dreck :(

LD

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
DSCN0992.jpg

Just got this vintage (60's?) B. Altman coat on freecycle. She said it was faux fur but I think it may be actual shearling. Is there a way to tell for sure? It does not feel synthetic to me.

The photo doesn't show in your post, but I think you can check by looking at the inside - is it material or fabric, or is the back kind of sueded, like animal skin? If there's a lining and you can't see the back, you might be able to part the fur and see if there is fabric (faux) or mesh (more indicative of real fur). Unfortunately, many shoppers are mislead by poly/acrylic labeling of "faux fur" trim on current coats made in China, when in actuality, the trim is from raccoon dogs.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Found these seventeen, yes that's correct 17 ties yesterday while thrifting. Four of them still have new tags!

SANY02802.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photo, I didn't have my glasses on...;)

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Found six of these shirts today at The Salvation Army Family Store:

Nat Nast 100% Silk, one is a two tone navy blue and black, two patch type bowling shirts, two stripped front sort of Cuban style and one solid bright orange with buttons that look like records. I'm wearing one shirt and sold the orange one to a friend already that's why only four are in the pic:

shirts.jpg

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
I'm going to gloat for a moment here. The shirts were 6.99 a piece. The blue and white striped one has the original price tag of 120 dollars still on it. I'm happy with that discovery. And boy they are comfortable and fit me well. I feel like a Peruvian drug cartel owner between this shirt and the chino's.

Matt

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Quig, wish I could pull off that look.
But I did score big time today in some antique stores on razors.
A gillette Fatboy with case, and an Aristocrat that cleaned up beautifully along with some other odds and ends.
022-1.jpg

Brinybay

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Thats not 40s or 50s at all! Id say late 20s early 30s.

Wonderful deal!

Man, you guys find the bestest stuff in thrift stores. All I come across is dreck :(

LD

Should I tell you how many times I've been in thrift stores and left empty-handed and peeved at all the "Made In China" crap on the shelves?

Here's what I found today a St. Vincent de Pauls:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ