Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Got this from a trade with Resortes. Cool (silkscreen?) design, feels like silk, c.early-'50s, from Silverwoods in Southern California.

Photo59-5.jpg
Photo62-3.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Hi Gents, I am hoping you could help me out. I got a lot of vintage 30's 40's ties that unfortunately got nailed my cat spray. I was hoping you could help me figure out the best way to clean these as they are silk, hand painted, and your typical 40's ties. Any suggestions on how to do this would be great as I really don't want to toss them. Thank you!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Hi Gents, I am hoping you could help me out. I got a lot of vintage 30's 40's ties that unfortunately got nailed my cat spray. I was hoping you could help me figure out the best way to clean these as they are silk, hand painted, and your typical 40's ties. Any suggestions on how to do this would be great as I really don't want to toss them. Thank you!

Lolita, soaking them in OxiClean (or a cheaper generic copy of it) might get rid of it, although you need to be careful with silk and hand-painted ties. Otherwise, dry-cleaning is an alternative...

http://tipnut.com/cat-spray/

Talbot

One Too Many
I have had luck recently on silk necktie stains with baby wipes. Dry cleaning and oxy clean didn't work, but baby wipes seemed to do the trick. Try the non scented variety on a small area first.

If they'd be a loss otherwise, I say soak them in cool water with a mild detergent -- like colors with like colors. Leave 'em there for a few hours, checking every now and then to see if colors might be running or paint is coming loose. Avoid agitating. Rinse them in cool water (again, gently) and then lay them flat to air dry, shaping as you would a sweater. Keep in mind that many ties have linings, so make sure that isn't bunched up.

OxiClean probably isn't a good idea, at least not with the silk ties, as silk is a protein fiber and my understanding is that OxiClean eats protein. Whatever you do, DON'T use bleach.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely be trying each out, starting with the gentlest and getting more intense as needed. :) Until then, here are some non-cat attacked ties I just recently aquired. I hope my beau likes them!!
DSCN2931bc.jpg
DSCN2932bc.jpg

DSCN2933bc.jpg
DSCN2934bc.jpg

DSCN2935bc.jpg

Corona

New in Town
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely be trying each out, starting with the gentlest and getting more intense as needed. :) Until then, here are some non-cat attacked ties I just recently aquired. I hope my beau likes them!!
DSCN2933bc.jpg
]

Long - time lurker, I figured it was time to come out..
Anyway, I wore the pink tie with what appear to be some sort of deer on it just two days ago. I have a box with probably 60 of my great grandfather's ties, and have just begun looking through them. The box is one of 3 or more, and I joined the site to try to learn more about them. How interesting that the same tie I just wore would pop up!

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
DSCN2931bc.jpg

Those are all nice ties but I really like the cactus & the black tie on the right. He should be well pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy