Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

I'm interested in what non-crush or wrinkle-resistant fabrics were available. Does anyone have any others to add to this small selection?

There is obviously Palm Beach Cloth, mostly put out by Beau Brummell. The other 2 I know about (see below) are Priestley's Nor-East Non-Crush - Wembley's answer to the Beau Brummell PB franchise; the fabric is very, very similar in feel and behaviour to PB Cloth - and Cohama Wrinkle-Resistant. Both are awful and crush and wrinkle very badly in the knot area. Maybe this is something to do with the age or poor treatment of the fabric during cleaning over the years. Or maybe they were always a bit crap.

PriestleysTieLabel.jpg
CohamaTieLabel.jpg

I'm interested in what non-crush or wrinkle-resistant fabrics were available. Does anyone have any others to add to this small selection?

There is obviously Palm Beach Cloth, mostly put out by Beau Brummell. The other 2 I know about (see below) are Priestley's Nor-East Non-Crush - Wembley's answer to the Beau Brummell PB franchise; the fabric is very, very similar in feel and behaviour to PB Cloth - and Cohama Wrinkle-Resistant. Both are awful and crush and wrinkle very badly in the knot area. Maybe this is something to do with the age or poor treatment of the fabric during cleaning over the years. Or maybe they were always a bit crap.

PriestleysTieLabel.jpg
CohamaTieLabel.jpg

They were always crap. :p

Two Types

I'll Lock Up

Tootal offered its 'Tebilized' and 'Mercerized' fabrics (although i have only seen 'Mercerized' referred to in North American advertising). They marketed the fabrics under the ad-lines "Uncreasable and eversmooth ties"

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Balthus by Man Ray, Paris 1930
4.jpg

Haha but this is really the exception of course. Modern ties are too fat too. It didn't stay in the 70s.

Talbot

One Too Many
Baron, i washed my Austico tie (luke warm water with a bit of oxy) when it got here as it was a bit grubby. guess what ? the paler red stripes came out with weird faded blotches on them.
it's basically unwearable now. [huh]

I have had good experience removing stains with 'baby wipes'. These are like a moist napkin impregnated with glycol and glycerin and such goodies. Only use unscented ones. You can test on a small portion where it can't be seen.

I keep a small pack in the desk at work as they are handy for suit stains etc as well.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, yes of course. But he didn't. It's his statement tie :p But I think it is a wool tie so it might be a little bigger than other period ties.

Today many people prefer the full windsor because they WANT big knots. I think this is more crazy.

Well, yes of course. But he didn't. It's his statement tie :p But I think it is a wool tie so it might be a little bigger than other period ties.

Today many people prefer the full windsor because they WANT big knots. I think this is more crazy.

Ah, a statement tie. Now I get it. :p

Yes, wanting a huge knot is a bit over the top nowadays. The picture you posted is small next to how they like them now.
A windsor knot should look no bigger than this---even with today's ties:
187px-Windsor_Knot.jpg

An interesting awful one from the middle 40s. You would put this in the 60s rather than the 40s, I think, if you saw it in amongst the Goodwill ties. Lovely crepe fabric, and I like the floral motif. But on the whole, quite a horrid necktie. Colour is accurate.

PinkPaisley40sTie.jpg

And one of my favourites. This is from the late 20s or early 30s, the fabric is a lovely foulard silk, and appears to represent clouds but I also see childish drawings of scrotums. All that's missing are the skateboards.

ScrotumCloudsTie.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adkrabbe